Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pets and Pregnancy/Pets and Babies

We know that bubs won't be here for 4 months yet but DH has startedwith our puppy dog, the crying training suggested by Christy (I think!) and he is excellent, didn't take him long at all to learn that why bubs cries, he sits on his blanket. He now does it for a pat on the head... soon we have to get him just to sit on the blanket for no pats.

Kitty's ears just ***** up, no reaction from him as yet!

Thanks again everyone!

Zo Guest

Default Pets & Pregnancy

We have 2 silky terriers and 2 working dogs, from the time they are puppies I try to get them used to having food taken off them (bones, dinner bowls etc) and having their feet picked up, touched, grabbed. So far this seems to have worked with my nieces and nephews as the silkies will put up with pretty well anything - including being picked up by the back legs!!! The working dogs seem good with other peoples kids, but tend to get a bit over excited and bowl them over.

I have also been worried about bringing a baby home and how the dogs would react as they are really quite spoilt at the moment. Mum told me that when she brought me home, she was told to put me on the floor and let the dogs sniff me until they were satisfied - apparently it worked as they never left my side after that - probably not a solution that would work for everyone and I'm not sure I'm that keen to try it. I will try to keep walking the dogs every day and make sure they are still allowed in the house at night. I'm sure that as long as the animals that were once the centre of attention don't get left out completely they will cope well.

Hi Zo

Welcome to BellyBelly. I did what your mum did. Dropped to the floor as soon as brought my boys home so the dog could sniff them all over and have never had any major problems.

love :hbeat:

Hey Zo,

Just wanted to welcome you to BellyBelly

Hi Zo, welcome to BB :wave:

Do you guys think that dropping to the floor would work with my mum's dog? I mean he doesn't live here, but he's next door & Munchkin will be there quite a bit, so I wonder if it will work or if I'd have to do it each time...

It worked with my mums dog Sarah and we see her maybe once a week. When we go he licks lachlan a couple of times and let him roll around the floor no worries when we were there on the weekend.

Love :hbeat:

Cool, thanks Kathryn. I was just a bit worried cos Baileys is pretty big, he's a Golden Retreiver.

LOL Sarah my mum has a dalmation x Qld cattle dog and he is huge

Love :hbeat:

Just a quick one. Over the last 6-8 weeks, my burmese boy gryff has started sleeping under covers with his head resting on my tummy. He purrs against it for ages.
    Wonder what spud thinks!
    The other cat has got a little standoffish with me - she wont cuddle on my lap anymore, but still sleeps next to me in bed.
    Fi

I was a bit worried about how my spoilt Siamese cat (Zorro) would react to a rival but he's been great. Most of the time he ignores him except for the odd sniff.
    Last week I put Yasin in the pram bassinet which is covered at the bottom and open at the top for a nap. After a couple of hours he woke up so I took the end of the bassinet off to pick him up and found poor Zorro sitting there getting kicked in the face. He must have been there before I put Yasin down and rather than walk on him he just sat and waited to be rescued.

Aww, Dachlostar, Zorro sounds like such a lovely cat! That's fantastic he's coped so well with Yasin's arrival. I hope my cats cope that well when the time comes!

Perry (Fox Terrier cross Jack Russell) has been, over the past week or so, been really odd. Usually when we get home from anywhere, once I have sorted Olivia out, I pat my thighs and he jumps into my arms for a cuddle.

I have noticed that the past week or so he won't do it...........so I am thinking that maybe he can "sense" that I am pregnant?

He didn't display this behaviour when I was PG with Olivia though..........weird.

*Megan* Guest

Hi Everyone

Just wondering what your thoughts are.....we have just moved to Brisbane from Sydney and have bought a house and are now thinking about pets. I am a HUGE animal lover, but am worried about coping with puppies, kittens and a new baby. Even though the baby isn't due until June......My question is, do you think that it is better to get the puppy before the baby is born or after? If I get the puppy in January - it will have 6 months to adjust, but will still be a puppy by the time the baby is born!
    Any thoughts or experience with this?

Thanks for your help!

Megan

Megan, If I was you I would get the puppy now and get it totally toilet/house trained before you have a baby in the house.

Toilet training is tedious and boring and grotty (and remember that when you are pg you should avold handling any animal poo) so I would want to get that totally under control before you bring a newborn home!

*Megan* Guest

Thanks for that Lucy - I am 30 soon and wanted a puppy for my birthday, so this is a good time to do it...thanks for your advice!

Megan

Megan I got a puppy last December & Matilda was born in June! I started training everything with the puppy for what I would want when the baby was born! There are heaps of good puppy schools in your area too! I teach one in Wynnum and I know a few friends who train puppies closer to you.

*Megan* Guest

Thanks for that Christy - I will now put the case to DH! He would like to get 2 puppies - but I think that this is a bit much....I am probably being overly cautious, but I would rather be relaxed for when the baby is born, rather then stressed because the puppy is misbehaving! I guess that cats are the same principle - just don't change the litter?

Thanks again...

Megan

mmm....definately have DH change the litter if you are getting cats! LOL! I have to say now that cats are easier to take care of when they get older, but a frisky cat and a baby might not go well together... :-k Our cat is a few years old and tried to cuddle up with Matilda heaps, & he would jump on top of her when she was only a few weeks old...so I'm definately one for a dog instead! LOL! Good luck with DH!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast