Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Pets and Pregnancy/Pets and Babies

mards Guest

Default Pets and Pregnancy/Pets and Babies

We have two 1 and a half year old pups and it will be interesting to see how they react when we have a baby. They are so used to having mum and dad to them selves.

Thanks for the fantastic ideas about ways we can prepare them

Lorin Guest

Hey well my brother and his wife, Leigh & bec have just had their baby, she is 1 mth old. They had a cat who hates visitors. This cat acually attacks you. Its crazy so they started leaving thr cat out side before the baby was born and now when the cat is allowed inside and if the cat hears the baby crying, cat wants to know what wrong with the baby.
    The cat has become a very concerned cat and doesnt mind when vistiors come over now. But they are still keeping a very close eye on him (cat).

Does anyone have any tips on how to teach a baby to be gentle with cats? We have 2 cats and whilst one takes off as soon as she sees Kynan the other is very tolerant and lets him cuddle and play with her... she even goes up to him and flops down next to him when he's playing. Kynan inevitably ends up yanking out fur and pulling on her tail though. As I said, Gizmo's a very tolerant cat but she can only take so much fur pulling before she gets upset (although she always returns for more LOL!). Ever since Kynan was little I've always shown him how I pat the cats and I say 'gentle'. I also put my hand over the top of his and show him how to pat them, and I stroke his face or arm to show him what 'gentle' means. I know he doesn't have much control over his movements ATM and that largely it's a case of waiting until he's old enough to understand, but is there anything more we could be doing to help him understand?

Its really hard, Matilda knows how to be gentle but sometimes gets overexcited and pulls hair or pulls tails even. I guess the way is we praise her heaps when she is patting gently but if she gets excited we often get in between her & the dogs or cats and tell her that if she isn't able to be gentle then she can't touch the animals.

I take her to work to handle the kittens a lot and she's so good with them now, but every once in a while she squeezes them & has been scratched a few times. But with the dogs at home, today Matilda got in trouble for pulling a dogs tail even when we told her to "be gentle" she still did it and we made her sit away from the dogs which is a big deal to her. We have to teach her that it isn't good to do those things even if our dogs tolerate it.

Thanks, Christy. Kynan's grabbing & pulling tends to start when he gets overexcited too. He loves the cats! Gizmo adores him too and that can make it hard to take him away from her if he starts getting a bit rough... they are indoor cats and she follows him around LOL!

Indah spent all of saturday afternoon commando crawling after our friends Maltese, he is a grumpy old man, but just she'd get close enough he'd hop up & go to the other side of the room & lay down, she'd turn around & start making her way there & he'd move again, she thought it was great fun...
    Our Puglaier adores her & lays on her & she loves Poppy too, she hasnt pulled her fur yet, but it is very short anyways... I'm sure she will, we tell her gentle & whe she tries to eat Poppy, we stop her & mover her away from the dog, which the dog really hates!!!!

Smile

g'day

Well, we have a veritable zoo here.

2 ****atiels
    2 cats (moggies) aged 4 & 5 years
    2 dogs (bluey - 15, labrador - 16 months)
    6 chickens (big red, kentucky, steggles and 3 yet to be named)

I'm concerned about the old dog the most, as he's reaching the incredibly grumpy part of life. The labrador is very bouncy, but as I train both dogs consistantly, they hold their sits / drops. And we have distance control working well.

Although I'm not due until April, we're making the changes now. The dogs aren't allowed on the bed with just me any more, and as the weather warms they'll be sleeping outside.

There's a book called "Who's the Boss" which has a fair bit of information on pack structure, and I've used this information to introduce the labrador into the household, and the principles seem to work quite well. So we'll be using those recommendations, which is to maintain the pack structure.

Our pack goes something like this:

Me
    Blue Dog
    DH
    Labrador
    Pink cat
    black cat

Unfortunately DH doesn't get pack structure, so it will be interesting to get him to adher to the new pack structure, which will be (before birth)

Me
    DH
    blue dog
    labraor
    pink cat
    black cat

and after birth

Me
    DH
    blue dog
    labraor
    pink cat
    black cat
    blobble the baby

Well, until the baby is old enough to stick up for itself around 7 or 8 when it will move up the pack.

Well, that's my plan anyhows

I have a Blue Heeler. He's about 3 years old. We got him from the RSPCA when he was 6 months old and we believe he was abused. He has always cowered if you've raised your hand to pat him. He has always been a naughty dog - he always jumps when you go near him, he barks all the time for no reason, he is very very unsociable. When we take him for a walk he lunges at other dogs (regardless of their size). I let him off the lead once and he jumped on this dog and began chasing them. He wasn't trying to hurt the dog but refused to come when he was called. Now we can't let him off the lead. He has occassionly lunged at people when out walking but it's to sniff them as he goes by. He is a very very protective dog (he used to growl at DH if he came near me when we first brought Buster home) and is an excellent guard dog. He understands some commands like off and sit but will generally only obey if you have food in your hand to give him. If he's worked up - forget it, not even food works. We've tried training him but he's only interested if you have food. I really really don't want to get rid of him but we're so worried about how he will be when the baby arrives. My concerns are;
    *his constant loud barking
    *His jumping
    *his disobedience

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'll try anything to avoid giving up my protector and best friend.

MG

MG I can understand your concerns, particularly with the barking/noise. I have similar issues...

Hey, people with birds - do your birds live inside? We have one ****atiel - our only pet who lives in our lounge room and is very fond of our company. If we leave the room to go somewhere he can't go he will call constantly. I'm worried about trying to get a new baby to sleep when the bird (who's call is really quite shrill) won't shut up! Do you think a baby will get used to the noise? (I think it is too late to train Lenny to be quiet - we have let him develop his bad habits over the last couple of years...)

Cool

MG - it may be worth getting DH to take him to an obedience course. Write down all your worries and ask the professionals the best way to handle it.

The best advice I've heard is to start changing things now. So if you're the one who lets the dog inside all the time, and walks the dog, change to DH before the baby comes - that way the dog won't associate the baby with the change in his routine.

But seriously, see some obedience courses. I could recommend a good dog school, but I don't think I'm allowed to on here.

MG - if he does respond to the food thing then if you spend like an hour every day doing this with food then you should be able to do it without food after a period of time. See if you can find something on this from Better Homes and Gardens website or something....Dr Harry has some great tips and advice. The main thing though is consistency and eventually he should do what you ask without the food reward.

Amy, I have 2 ****atiels - indoors - I know all too well how noisy they can be!! Mine wolf whistle REALLY loud! It can be amusing cos one of them wolf whistles at me if I go and get changed then go near them again (they must have awesome eyesight or something for him to recognise the change). I wonder if bubs wouldn't get used to the sound whilst in your belly...does bubs jump or move when it happens now??

Hiya Cass, no, the baby doesn't seem to respond to the birdie, not that I'm aware of anyway. That's cute about the wolf whistle. Lenny makes cute noises sometimes which I'm not too worried about, but sometimes he can get really squarky when we leave the room and won't stop until we come back. It's these times that I'm worried about.
    I assume he likes the company and so previously I've tried to take him with me when I can. I just know that when I have the baby I won't be able to take him with me. Over the last few weeks since posting I've been experimenting with him, leaving for a while, trying to positively reinforce quiet behaviour, but I think it's just going to be something the baby has to get used to. I've just got to remember that vocalising and enjoying community is natural birdie behaviour and its probably just not realistic of me to expect anything different...

Snacks - you could try getting another bird (or a mirror) but it would prolly result in a lack of whistling or less friendly behaviour. Or eggs!

Ha. I did consider it a while ago, also because I thought it'd be nice for him to have some company. Most people said it just doubles the noise, LOL. And that he's used to being an 'only child' so probably wouldn't make friends easily. Not too worried anymore now that bubs is nearly here - just going to have to deal with it as it happens!

Ugh, I'm so exhausted. The night before last I didn't sleep well because it was so hot, but last night it was due to the animals. We have three cats and a dog. Last night, two of the cats spent from about 3 o clock until when I gave in and got up (5:50) chasing each other around the loungeroom. I tried telling them off, grabbing one and holding onto her and stroking her untll she calmed down a bit and but nothing worked. With the hot weather they flake out during the day and then they get all their energy back at night!

So... I need to start getting them used to NOT being allowed around the house at night. Our place is a two storey townhouse, and we shut all the doors upstairs at night so they can't get into mischief anywhere up there. I'm sleeping downstairs at the moment because it's just too hot at night upstairs. Considering the baby will be here in late summer (due date 28th Feb) I'm pretty sure it will still be warm then so there's a good chance he'll be sleeping down here with me. So I don't want the cats running around then! I can lock them in the kitchen/laundry where their food and tray is, but I know they'll cause havoc and be really noisy. Any ideas on how to get them used to it? I also don't want to disturb the neighbours too much with yowling cats if I can help it!
    Last edited by sasha; December 19th, 2006 at 07:19 AM. Reason: exhaustion = nonsensical sentences!

Sasha, sounds like my two little dogs... and we have the same sorta living arrangement too!!!! Its doing my head in thinking of the craziness that is going to happen when bub comes home...
    im just going to deal with it as it happens...
    its not a bother to me so much as how close we are to our neighbours and the disturbance its going to caz them...
    Maybe ur cats can sense something and thats why they're mucking up?
    i'm sorry i have no advice darl, just thought id comiserate with you and our crazy love for fur babies...

Sasha -

Maybe try putting them in a cage in the laundry for a couple of nights. Then let them out into the main part of the room, and if they're noisy, back into the cage. After a while they should get the idea. I used to grab just one of the cats and envelop it in a bear hug - that would quieten it down (in my bed)

We have to pocket rottis, Chelsea (7.5yrs) and Abbey(6.5yrs). Chelsea is cross with a lab, and Abbey is pure, but both are about the size of a lab. They are 2 of the most gentlest and loving dogs i have ever come across. We 'saved' Abbey from the RSPCA, and i can tell she is very thankful to us for it.

They are outside dogs anyway, so i am not expecting them to be hugely put out by the arrival of the baby. I think they wil just be happy to have someone home all day.

When they have been around kids, they are excellent. They play very well, and no way near as rough as they play with us. When they run and play with us, they run in front us, at us, and jump at us. With kids, they run beside them, and dont jump at them. When the dogs play together, they dont watch at all where they are going, people, poles, pots, plants, you name it, they run into it. Have seen the knock over a planter box that takes 2 people to move. But, if they are kids, they watch where they are going, slow down, and jump the kids if needed!

I am going to get a porta cot thou, so when we sit outside, i can put the baby in it on nice days, and the dogs can sniff etc, without getting to close. I also let them sniff anything that i buy so they start getting used to these new bits. I am going to walk them with the pram before baby arrives so they get used to it. (will get weird looks i am sure from other walkers.) Have thought about getting a recording of a baby crying so they get used to the noise, as they used to bark at my nephews cry when they stayed.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast