Thread: pregnancy and animals (cats)

Default pregnancy and animals (cats)

I would like to know what people have done with their cats or other pets that they have had while they were TTC. My Dr told me that we should find anew home for my cat because when i am pregnant there is a chance that I could loose my baby because of a virus or something that cats have.

Now I am desperatly trying to find a new home for my cat. But is there any experiences out their with this?

Please respond, I am quiet worried.

I'm sure that someone with more knowledge can give you a definative answer, but I thought that there was a chance of contracting toxioplasmosa (or something that sounds like that!) from the cat litter. I have read the reccomendation that you don't change the litter tray and that you put in a place that you don't sit near or go to. I haven't actually heard that the cats themselves are a risk.

Can anyone else confirm or disconfirm this?

Cats them self aren't a risk. It is in the litter so you can't change the litter and if you do use a mask over your mouth and nose and use gloves when you change the litter..
    So you don't have to get rid of you cat just have someone else change the litter box or use gloves and mask when you change it..

We have 2 cats and never did anything special but then again our cats don't carry toxoplasmosis - apparently it is a risk if your cat is fed raw meat. Just don't change the cat litter while UTD or take precautions such as wearing gloves and careful washing of hands.

You can get a BT to see if you are immune to toxoplasmosis. I am not immune - so in the decade we have had cats - I have never been exposed.

Sounds like your Dr doesn't really know much about it. And it does not mean you need to find a new home for your cat. Find out more first.

GIDGET

Thanks guys...will look into it. What about cats sitting on the baby. Is this common. Do they go near the baby or what if they rub up against the baby or sit on the babies bedding etc. Can they suffocate a baby?

A cat generally won't go near the baby...but to be safe just maybe put a mosquito net or something similar over the cot while the baby is fairly young cause once your infant starts crawling he/she will want to grab the cat all the time and therefore the cat will just want to stay away, maybe close the baby door while sleeping and just get a monitor instead. THere are plenty of ways if you want to keep your cat and have a family.
    I agree with the toxoplasmosis...your DR probably just doesn't like cats and babies together. I certainly wouldn't get rid of my Birman cat....but i would be cautious!!

I didn't do anything different with my cat apart from getting DF to change her litter for me, Now that Scarlet is here i have caught her in the cot probably twice (bub wasn't in there), Once when she was badly hurt from a dog attack & hiding in there, Other than that she stays away from the nursery all together - I just taught her not to go in there. Babies suffocating from cats are actually very rare & were used as an explanation for SID's way back, Of course it could happen though.

Hi we have two cats in our house, and the only thing I changed whilst being pregnant with DS (and this one now) is that I don't change their litter. My DH does that for me now (cos I used to change it). They get fed raw meat every night, and have never heard that its a danger if they do get fed raw meat. I think its just more about what comes out of their bum than what goes in their mouth!! As for cots and things, about three months before DS arrived, we trained our cats not to go into what would become his bedroom. to this day, they do not go in there, and I have never caught them in the cot. DS and my female cat are the greatest of friends, she often cuddles up to him, whereas my male cat has only just started feeling comfortable around DS (which I don't blame him, DS can be rough with their tails!!!)
    I honestly wouldn't worry too much. As long as your cat is well trained and knows boundaries, then it shouldn't be a problem. I never thought of getting rid of either of my cats, they are part of my family, just as much as my two dogs!!!!! Good luck with whatever decision you make :-)

The toxoplasmosis excuse for not handling the kitty litter is great - I went 2 years with very rarely having to do the kitty litter while we were TTC & UTD - I has hoping DH would be then in the habit of changing it but sadly no he now rarely does it.

I'd just make any changes like not letting the cat sleep on your bed and keeping the baby's door closed (if those are your choices) early in the pregnancy so the cat is used to the new rules well before bubs arrives.

Good luck TTC!

We have 5 cats and both me and my DD's are fine. DH used to do the cat litter and still does. Our cats never really went near the girls...maybe sniff them and then walked away. My DD1 chaes them around now she can walk...but they live outside in an enclosure 95% of the time so rarely come in contact with them.

I personally wouldnt get rid of my cats when TTC and UTD....its all about good hygene and watching ur cat!

Your doc's opinion sounds very extreme! As all the others have said, the nly real risk is being exposed to their faeces, so as long as your partner changes the litter and washes his hands before coming near you it's ok. As for cats and babies, we just always made sure the babies door was shut when he was asleep, but our cat didn't like him much till he was about 1 yr old anyway so I'm sure she wouldn't have wanted to go near him!

Cats are part of your family too, so there's no way I'd get rid of our beautiful girl just based on what one (possibly prejudiced) doctor has said!

I've got 2 kittycats and haven't had a problem. Since I found out I am pregnant DP changes the litter tray. Both are indoor cats so our litter tray needs to be changed everyday. Occassionally I have scooped it and have just worn gloves and washed my hands afterwards. I think your docs opinion of getting rid of your cats is a bit extreme...

My cats will be banned from bubs room but we will still have a net over the cot. My cats are sooky la la's and will probably hide from bub anyway lol

Hi Puppies,
    There is a risk but the risk is with the faeces so as others have said you should avoid changing the litter tray or change it using gloves. The other high risks area is in the garden - eg. vegie patches as yours and other cats may have used it to defaecate as well. Use gloves for this as well. If you have had cats for a while you may very well be immune. When I was pregnant, I was still working at a vet clinic. I probably have some immunity from before but just made sure that my hygiene was good and I used gloves, washed my hands etc. I certainly wouldnt suggest rehoming your cat although I generally wouldnt recommend pregnancy as a time to get a new animal. HTH.

A quick google of toxoplasmosis revealed a rather interesting fact sheet from the CDC (centre for disease control) in the US.
    Looks like you get to keep your cat.