Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Pregnancy Harder the Second Time Around?

Default Is Pregnancy Harder the Second Time Around?

Just wondering...I have heard someone say that pregnancy is harder the second time around. Was this true for you? I am considering TTC no 2, and fear it being hard. Esp with being sick in the first few months while looking after a toddler etc.
    What things did you find hard?

Thanks

The physical pregnancy for me was easier.......I didn't get as much morning sickness and felt fine. But the running round after a toddler was TOUGH........no time for yourself to squander in self indulgence! That said, it was MORE than worth it to see Olivia and Charlie interacting.........

Each pregnancy is different so you won't 100% know if it will be hard being pregnant and looking after a toddler.

The thing i found hard was more in the last trimester was keeping up with a toddler.
    I made sure i had a sleep when Kimberley slept. It's not been as easy this time with having two small children to look after but each day is different.

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

I had alot more pain in the groin 2nd time round. My Obs said that is very common with subsequent pregnancies, cause everything has been stretched before not so elasticised.... I found it a bit tough towards the end running around after a really active 23 month old.

I found the actual delivery and recovery soooooooo much better though! I feel like I am relaxed and really able to enjoy No 2 so much more and the time is just flying with him!

I would loooovvveeee to be pregnant with No 3 now! (hubby won't let me)

Relle; LOL, I had to talk DH into having no 2. So there is no way in H*ll He will let me have no 3!!

Lucy: I cant wait to see DS interacting with a sibling. So worth it all.

Michelle: I know what it is like just having one to look after, cant imagine how tough it would be for you. Well done, I have so much admiration for people with more than 1 child.

1st pregnancy - tough, as you dont' really know what to expect.

2nd pregnancy - So so.. you know what you are going to be faced with pregnancy wise, but if you have a toddler that still has day naps, that is great to play catch up on your sleep if needed. But if you have a toddler that doesn't it can get very tiring.

3rd pregnancy - 2 x children that don't sleep during the day. 1 x baby in belly that doesn't sleep during the night = 1 very tired mummy LOL. But the good thing is that the pregnancy isn't dragging as there is so much to do in the day with the other 2 kids.

Love

#2 was definately easier. Not only physically, but emotionally too because I knew roughly how I would feel IYKWIM? Also having to get up to a newborn and coping with minimal sleep was easier too because I suppose I'd BTDT not long ago. Towards the end it was tiring having to chase after Lindsay, but I too slept when he had a sleep and had heaps of early nights.

I'm finding the second time around a lot more easier. I have a toddler to distract me, so time is just flying and i don't feel i have been pregnant very long, but i have 11 weeks left! Morning sickness wise i was better and only had it until 10 weeks, instead of 14 weeks with #1. Also i feel a lot more fitter too, so i can still keep up with Lily. The only downer about it is my braxton hicks are a lot more intense this time.

The beginning was hard - being sick and tired with a toddler and working full time as well I was lucky I had a very supportive DH! Week 6-14 reaaallly dragged for me.
    But since the nausea went away it has absolutely flown! I can't believe how quick its going. Physically I think it's been easier - it feels like my body remembers being pregnant this time and I haven't had near as much trouble adjusting. Mentally easier as well - I am much more relaxed this time around, I really haven't worried to much at all.

Thanks Girls,
    Great to know is has been easier for most the second pregnancy .

Yep - I'd agree. Definitly easier this time around! Goes much quicker, but you haven't got as much time to be so self indulgent about the whole pregnancy - sleep ins, early nights, eating what you want when you want it etc!
    Physically it has been a little tougher for me this time. I had to stop playing netball at about 12w this time, whereas I played to 19w last time. I'm having alot of trouble now just umpiring one game.

I think the timing thing, and just not having the time to worry makes it seem easier though.

I hope you do find it easier second time around. Unfortunately I have been finding it harder but I'm still glad I'm doing it. The morning sickness was worse this time but didn't last as long. The worst things have been feeling tireder (but with a toddler and working 4 days/week that's to be expected), and catching everything going around. I've had a virus that caused the worst vertigo and vomititng, two bouts of gastro and a couple of colds - last pg I never had so much as a sniffle! Also I'm bigger and more uncomfortable. My ob says the "nuisance factors" often are worse second time around. I wish I could say that I have enjoyed this pg as much as the first, but honestly I haven't. But of course I will love the baby just as much when it arrives!

Melinda Guest

I'm another who has found it harder. This PG has been very difficult on me physically. I struggled with m/s with Jacob, but I battled it even more so this time around. I'm having major dramas with my back and am deathly tired 99% of the time.

Last time I obviously didn't have a toddler to run around after or pick up etc, so I could put my feet up whenever I needed to and take time out for me whenever I wanted. I had a bit more of an appetite when PG with Jacob too, and this time around, I don't have much of an appetite at all. Sleep is difficult because I can never get enough - Jacob isn't the best sleeper in the world, although he's been pretty good the past few nights, albeit waking at 6 am LOL.

I've had a nasty gastro bug (which all of us had, so I was sick at the same time as having to look after a sick toddler!) as well as 2 colds that were very very heavy (I'm not normally prone to that kind of thing) and both of them lasted around 2 weeks....

So yeah, at the end of the day, physically I am finding this PG a lot harder than last time......

angelfish Guest

I found it quite a bit harder second time if you're talking physical symptoms. I got bigger faster (with ds I had a flat tummy until almost 7 months, people didn't believe I was that pregnant, but with dd I was like an elephant from 4 or 5 months). I got way more morning sickness (and afternoon and evening sickness lol). I got very little rest, which was a bit unexpected - first pregnancy I worked full time until 2 1/2 weeks before due date, but that was a doddle compared to having a full on toddler who didn't sleep well. Also seemed to have more annoying little aches and pains.

On the plus side, it was easier mentally, knowing roughly what to expect and knowing what labour, birth and having a newborn was going to be like. It's just that much less of a shock than the first time.

So overall, I'd say it was easier to cope with, if anything.

Oh yes Melinda, the back is definitely worse this time too!! But to be expected when you are carrying around a toddler and lifting - the worst is putting him in or getting him out of the car, or picking up his food from the floor etc. Also having a toddler brining home germs is probably also the reason we have been sick more this pg too.

If you look after yourslef your body will work well. 2nd pregnancy for me was great, tiring though as having that little toddler is hard work in itself. But I reckon you would be fine.

For me my 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th pregnancy got harder because of the ligament stretching so fast, that is what had been the hardest part, all the pains and pinching feeling, but heck we do it and we get the best gift after all that hard work!

Love and light,
    soul

Thanks for your honesty girls, much apreciated.

I plan to be more organised to cope with the first tri better. My poor DH lived on lean cuisines LOL. This time I plan to have meals cooked and frozen and ready to go. For me too.. as last time, altho I felt sick, I could eat anything.. so long as it wasn't left to me to prepare it or decide what we were having! hehe. Altho, who knows how sick I'll be next time around. But at least I can have food prepared for DH.

I'll miss the pg pampering tho.. I was a bit of a couch potato coz I was tired. DH and I watched marathons of tv shows.. Battlestar Galactica, Lost, Desperate Housewives. LOL. can't do that with a toddler around! Aah well.. at least each pg will be different, not the same ol' thing each time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast