Thread: Pregnant & Moving House

Brisbane - where it is never like it should be.

Default Pregnant & Moving House

Hey Ladies

So we are moving house this weekend and DP is a little concerned about me lifting anything after the argument we had about it over the weekend.

I have people coming to help but they dont know about the baby and dont want them to just yet.

What is ok to lift and what isnt?
    I lifted my nephew the other day and he is 17kg. Was this a no-no too?

kylza, firstly congrats hun! i am so happy to see your UTD! hopefully more follow you from the 1-6 month ttc thread.
    i think you should be fine with nephew i pick up my boys and their both 15kg and 11kg. just make sure you dont lift anything too heavy and if you need to rest make sure you do, overdoing it can make you exhausted. i moved when i was pg and my dh and my daddy wouldnt let me do the big things they told me to go unpack lmao! i hope you have a healthy and happy pregnancy xxx

Lifting your nephew would be fine. I lifted my DS2 throughout my entire pregnancy with DD2 and I had no dramas and the same went for my older 2 children also.
    I have moved a few times through pregnancies and basically I do the moving of the lighter boxes. I do also help with things like the dvd player, smaller TV's, computer, and some bits of the beds. I make sure whatever I am carrying isn't awkward nor too heavy.

All the best for your move hun

use your best judgement. I helped my sister carry a couch when I was pregnant, 'cause i too was moving house. Most pregnant women usually do something crazy like move house, so i'm sure hundreds do the lifting, and many have 2-3 yo's that they would lift while pregnant weighing anywhere from 10-17kgs. Don't overdo it, play the girly card and make the boys do the really heavy stuff. my sil was climbing around in maccas play equipment looking for a 2yo the other day and she is in her second timester.
    A pregnant women is no where near as delicate as most people think. Just trust what your body is telling you.

...where jumping on the bed is mandatory!

we just moved house....im 8 weeks pg. i did some lifting, i even considered lifting our tv from the floor to the tv stand...but thought twice about that one just take it slow. i bassically packed the entire house as DP was working and it took me twice the time it could have cause i was taking it so slowly, but i dont feel too bad after! which i could have done if id have gone at it like a bull at a gate! good luck with the move! and the pregnancy!!

Hi, I moved house when I was 5 months pregnant. I ended up with 2 hernias that made the rest of my pregnancy extremely uncomfortable and quite painful at times. I was stupid and it was all my fault......

Just try to take it easy and lift the lighter things like everyone else has pretty much said.

Would you feel comfortable making up an excuse (Little white lie) and tell your friends that you've hurt your shoulder or arm, so you can only lift the lighter things? That's what I would do lol..... so naughty of me really lol.

But..... Congratulations!!!!! Best of luck with your pregnancy

I would just tell your friends/helpers that you've hurt your back and can't lift the heavy stuff.

Good luck with the move!

Default Pregnant & Moving House

Just do the light things, direct people on where the boxes are going and then unpack the kitchen. It will keep you busy but you won't over do it.

Ive been using the 'sore back' to get them to help

OMG I never saw your annoucement miss kylie, congratulations missy!!

We moved when I was 8 weeks preg with luke I just moved the lighter boxes and did car loads of clothes etc but I also was cleaning walls which mark and a friend was not impressed when they sprung me standing on a stool.

Thanks Iona. its definatly there lol

Find yourself an ongoing job, like directing furniture/boxes or unpacking the kitchen. No-one will notice or be any the wiser. Make sure your DP knows not to make a big scene though...or your secret will be out
    Just use your common sense. Your body will tell you when it's had enough.

CONGRATULATIONS.... i moved 2 days before i had DD1 and i basically packed boxes and kicked them along the floor as DP was working, i packed an entire house by myself.

If your friends don't know i would stick with the sore back line but make sure your DP doesn't give it away by watching you like a hawk, maybe carry some smaller boxes with things like cd's etc in them.

GL, it's not easy no matter how far along you are!

Thanks All

DP is the one that doesnt want everyone knowing yet so I think he will be ok. I have a friend helping that does know so she be there to back me up lol

I am moving next week and I am 16 weeks!
    The army is doing all the removals luckily for me! But wih packig I am just doing little by little and stopping if my back starts hurting.
    Take it easy but being so early you should be fine!!! Just be thankful you don't have a belly in the way!!!

Make sure you rest heaps tho n don't overdo it!

We moved house when I was pg with DS - but I was 4 months along by then. My DH refused for me to lift anything at all - except for small, light boxes.
    Good luck with the move