Thread: Private health cover at MBF no longer covers pregnancy for me

Default Private health cover at MBF no longer covers pregnancy for me

Im so friggin angry, just got a letter saying my Private health cover "diamond healthsmart" which used to cover me for pregnancy/birth at private hospital no longer covers me for pregnancy and birth related expenses, last time we had Julia it was fine, and I went in a month ago to check too and everything was fine, now I receive this rude note... Did anyone else receive this? Im friggin 10 weeks away from giving birth now I have to sort everything out again. UGGHHHH im so angry more costs and having to sort it all friggin out... anyone else going through this? Oh they kindly give me til 31 May to change my cover otherwise I have to go on 12 month waiting period... can you believe it, what happens if I was away...

That is disgusting. I would have thought that that wouldn't be entirely legal - you have paid premium for the fund that covers you and your baby, surely they can't turn around now and say, sorry, no longer covered - I would be making some further enquiries with the appropriate body as to whether this is legal.

Good luck - just wrong, wrong, wrong!!

I'm on Healthsmart Gold (old product) I got the same letter on Tuesday and then one yesterday saying they sent the first letter in error and I am covered! Hopefully its the same for you.

Give them a call on Monday & check it out, if you aren't I guess you need to kick up a stink - contact your local MP and copy the Health Minister maybe.

ETA: the first letter said "this is to remind you again that you are not covered" When I got it I thought - they hadn't told me and then reminded me once so how can they be reminding me again?
    Last edited by Snowy Love; May 10th, 2008 at 02:50 PM.

You can relax Belle...Diamond is 100% covered.
    I got same letter, called them and they apologised. A new letter of apology came 3 days later.
    Apparently there was a glitch and the letters got sent to every member instead of a select few...

Wow Lulu what a right royal stuff up!

Belle get onto them (if you can get through...I bet their phones will be flat out!) and get them to confirm that it is or isn't true. Grrrrrrrrrr you don't need this stress right now!

I hope you find out that your's is an error. We are with Manchester Unity and have been told that we are no longer covered for pregnancy either, but comes into force 1 Jan 09, so we make the cut off. The next policy up is $50 a month more. Once bub is born, we will be changing to HCF which is only $10 more than we are paying now.

bubNo.2 Guest

Hi there:

I hope i dont offend anyone here but why are you bothering with Private Health Cover anyway? Im an acute nurse and ill just let you know that the nursing care can be rushed in PRIVATE hopsitals than the public system.There arent enough nurses in the private sector which means the pt/nurse ratios are pathetically high. Plus just quietly if you do deliver a baby in a smaller private place and your baby is prem and sick they transfer you and bub if necessary to the nearest public hospital .... plus your out of pocket with anesthist plus drugs you might need (my private ob told me that so im (and wouldve anyway) delivering my bub in a public hospital.
    Im talking of Victoria and i havent worked interstate so i cant say anything re their private hospitals.

Cheers BubNo.2

omg i am so nervous now although i am not currently pregnant I was hoping to try for our 3rd later this year but if we are no longer coverd for pregnancy related things then 2 may just have to be enough

Oh Belle, i hope that your letter is just a computer error.. Id be trying to get something out of it for the stress it has caused you thou!