Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q for those who had winter bubs

Fire Fly Guest

Question Q for those who had winter bubs

Was it a pain to have a newborn though winter because of the cold. We had DD in spring and it was great but was pg through summer and DS was a summer bub so pg again through the hot but a pain to wrap because it was so hot.
    We dont have the luxury of A/C so we rely on the fresh air to keep us cool and the slow combustion to keep us warm.

Anyway, how did you find it and would you not do it again

I had 2 winter bub's while it's stress full worrying if they are warm enough it's not that bad, all the wonderful cuddles you get as it's never too hot & cute babies all wrapped up in bunny rugs & hats etc. I've had 2 summer bub's as well & I prefer having them in winter, you can always get warm but never cool IYKWIM. Night feeding was a a bit cold, but I used to feed & change them in bed. I had everything I needed on my night stand or in the top draw!
    Although I do have A/C Inever turned it on at night.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Well being pregnant in winter was a godsend, I would not have coped being heavily pregnant in summer. Having a winter bubs is fine, you just have to be sure that they're warm enough just as in summer you have to make sure they're cool enough. I think it's far easier though to warm up than cool down so I prefer to have cooler weather bubs, if all goes according to plan our next bub will be an early spring bub.

I've had one of each, and I think I prefer the winter, although I know that there are those who don't. I didn't find that the extra bundling, etc. was too much of a hassle, and it was a kind of nice cozy time to be at home. We didn't feel like we should be heading out to the park or the beach, or anything, which was great, since I didn't have a whole lot of energy for extra things at that point! (Who does, either right before or right after birth?!)
    I imagine there are good sides and bad sides to both, and I'd say just try to look for the advantages of what ever season your baby is due, and enjoy it!
    All the best!

I have had one summer, a winter and a spring bub and I preferred the winter bub (Paige). It is definatley easier to keep them warmer than trying to cool them down, because out here it can easily get to 40 degrees plus during summer and the nights are still really hot too.

If I go again, I would definatley have another winter or Autumn bub.

Fire Fly Guest

Thanks girls thats interesting you would prefer a winter bub, totally unexpected.
    Being snug indoors through winter does sound appealing actually, at least you dont have to worry about skin cancer on such daintly skin hey.
    I dont know what will happen but atm if we fell now it would be coming into winter so DH thought that would be a concern.

Olivia was a tropical Darwin summer baby, and Charlie was an Adelaide winter baby.....I much preferred being heavily pg in winter and it was lovely to be able to bundle him up and get snuggly. They were both good feeders, but Charlie was snugglier (poor Olivia and I used to just slip and slide off each other with sweat all the time!!)

BF and getting up in the night in July/August was a bit nippy, but we had Charlie in our room for the first 4 months, so I had everyhing to hand.....I had a fleecy blanket for my knees & cosy slippers to stop me getting chilly with night feeds etc.........

Charlie liked being wrapped a lot more, and maybe as a result, was a better sleeper from an earlier age...........

So winter baby for me..........(B3 will be a Spring baby....maybe the best of both worlds?)

Ive had two winter bubs and loved it! Its so snuggly and warm and breastfeeding is gorgeous and not so sticky. I love all the warm clothes for them too. I would have everything on hand in my room so I wouldnt have to get them up out of bed...made it alot easier. It was also great in that by the time warmer weather rocked around they were that bit older and were wanting to splash around a bit in water. I definately prefer to have a winter bub!

Jo

Hi,

I had one winter baby.

The pregnancy was great compared to all the summer pregnancies (born Jan/Feb) i have had. The only bad thing i guess is the higher risk of colds and flus for your newborn. Especially if you have other kids to bring home daycare and school bugs.

Em was born in winter and I must admit I liked it though I have nothing to compare to :tongue:

It was good with the colder weather as I had no rush to get outdoors and could take my time and as somebody else mentioned he's going to be alot more fun come summertime!

We had DS in May 05, during the winter months and if my FET works this month, no 2 will also be born around the month of May 07. I loved it, because i spent so many days just holding and snuggling up in bed with my newborn. I wasnt that interested in going out for the first few months anyway, so the cold weather didnt worry me. When I felt organized to go out with DS, the weather started warming up. The only thing i feared was him catching colds etc. But he didnt get his first cold until he was well over 12 months old anyways. So I worried for nothing LOL!!

I also liked being "cool" when i was heavily pregnant. I felt very comfortable, not sure how i would have felt being heavily preg in the hot months.

muma Guest

lachlan was born july and its been hot like 3days its so cold n i just put him in his full suits and if go out put in his sleeping bag n blanket over so he dont get cold. but in home coz we got central heating in every room. he sleeps in full suit thats it with blanket on of course.

Ella was born in August and i loved that i could wrap her up and keep her snug. If i'm pg now i'll be due end may-early June which i feel is great timing cause i really didn't want to worry about the scorching summer heat and sticky nights trying to sleep (we do have ducted aircon but i don't like the idea of sleeping and breathing in all that yuck air all night long).

Tallon was an autumn baby. I loved it, not too hot, not too cold.. so didn't worry me for the first few weeks. As it got colder, he could wear gorgeous little outfits and jumpers, whereas a summer bub would just get about in singlet and nappy! Now he's 6 months heading into spring and ready to start swimming lessons and stuff. I'm looking forward to summer! yay!

I agree with the snuggling through winter.. on a couple of warmer days lately, b/fing was a sweaty affair. LOL. The cold nights were bearable, and b/fing through the night wasn't too bad, we had a column heater on low in his room to keep the chill off.

Kerrie, Both Evan & Glenn are winter babies as you know. I think the only thing that I found hard in the cold nights was the nappy wipes being cold. I would put on a little bar heater near the change table when I got up to feed, that way if I needed to do a nappy change after the feed the area was nice & toasty.

I think its the best way to have a baby. Pg early in the year, through summer months so your not too big & then a baby in the winter months. By the time Summer comes back baby is a bit bigger & little dips in the paddle pool & naked floor time are so much more pleasent.

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by storm
    I had 2 winter bub's while it's stress full worrying if they are warm enough it's not that bad, all the wonderful cuddles you get as it's never too hot & cute babies all wrapped up in bunny rugs & hats etc. You can always get warm but never cool IYKWIM.
    I had 2 winter babies, and am hoping that I will be smart enough to have the next one as a winter baby also!

Shellbabe Guest

The hardest thing about a winter baby is how cold I got!!! :P
    After the birth I got the night sweats and always seem to be cold!! But it was easy to keep Charlotte warm.

Admittedly we have reverse cycle set to 22degrees most nights - so not too warm, not too cool. BFing hasn't been too hard at night because of that.

I agree with preferring being pg in winter - would hate to be big and hot and sweaty!

Fire Fly Guest

hhhmmmm,im not sure still that id want to get out of bed in the cold, even though the fire is on it still get s cold. Plus if im up i have to put more wood on the fire, bummer.
    Mght plan for a spring baby i think. In saying that though i dont think i have much say in the matter really, lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast