thread: Rasberry Leaf Tea and Epi-No - worth trying? Who's had success (or not?)

Jan 2006
    Brisbane south side

Rasberry Leaf Tea and Epi-No - worth trying? Who's had success (or not?)

I am planning my 2nd VBAC in about 5/6 weeks. (I had to change hospitals to do it, but I can't wait!!). I tore slightly with my son's vbac in 1999 (my first labour). I am wondering whether I should try rasberry leaf tea and Epi-No to help with labour and to prevent tearing?

Who's had experience with these (one or both)? Also, are the rasberry leaf tablets as good as the tea itself?

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2008

I used raspberry leaf tea before my first labour - I still got a 2nd degree tear. I took it to try and induce labour but not sure if that helped or not but I did go into labour at 39 weeks. I had a 40 hour labour because my baby was posterior so I am not sure if it helped my uterus to contract better or whatever it is meant to do. OP babies make things a bit different though, I think.

I figured that there is no harm in drinking the tea (except that you have to have a few cups of it everyday and sometimes I just did not feel like it). I'm not sure how the tablets compare.

Sorry - probably not an overly useful post ... hopefully someone else has some better info

Jan 2006
    Brisbane south side

It's good to hear all responses, positive or not. That way I can make an informed decision. Thanks Townsvillegirl!

Dec 2007
    Victoria

I cant really comment from personal experience - I ended up with emerg c/s after 36 hours labor lol but there is an essential oil you can use on your perineum that will also help prevent tearing, helps to soften the skin for birth etc...

There is some posts I made ages ago in here Herbal Treatments in the Final Weeks
    lots of info so I wont re-type it

HTH and good luck with your 2VBAC!!

Dec 2007
    Adelaide, SA

I used Rasperry leaf tea. I tried to make sure i had a few cups a day.
    My bub was 10 days late, i had a natural birth and labour of 55 minutes, bub was born posterior and i had no tearing.

May 2008
    Melbourne

I used the raspberry leaf tea tablets. I went to our local health food store at about 38 weeks to buy the tea and i was told by the ladies in the store that tablets are more effective, you take one morning and evening whereas with the drink you'd have to have at least 8 cups a day to have the same effect.
    I then questioned if it was worth buying them as it was $20 a bottle and i was so close to the end anyway but they also said it's good to take after birth as it helps the uterus contract back down.

I have no info or experience in the vbac side of things. Good luck though

Aug 2006

Can't comment on the epi-no, I have been very fortunate to have avoided any tearing or stitches both births. I did however have 'success' with RLT. I drank at least 3-4 cups a day and gradually increased that as I approached my EDD (I doubt I ever drank as many as 8 though). My first labour was long and drawn out, 72 hours. My second was only 5 from first niggle to birth.

I will say though that my second labour was much, much more intense and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not!

May 2007
    Perth, WA

I drank RLT and the Epi-No but cannot comment on their effectiveness due to birth issues. RLT is just meant to tone the uterine muscles so I figured nothing wrong with taking it but one could never measure whether it worked or not becauseyou don't know how it would have been otherwise, ikywim? Regarding the Epi-No, I was recommended it by the Bith Centre I attended after they saw the benefits of its use. I used it over about a 10 week period prior to birth and it was very painful pushing it at 3cm to start with but by 40 weeks I could do the 10cm although it wasn't a walk in the park. So it really did help the muscles to stretch. To cut a long story short I laboured36 hours from first contraction to birth, stopped dilating at 7cm, had an epidural and needed forceps to get bubby. Thus cannot comment on how effective Epi-No was but I swear by it for what it did in the lead up and will def use this time around.

Jan 2006
    Brisbane south side

I bought some tablets today...which I find will last me about a week (going by the instructions...take 3 tablets 4/5 times a day!!) Cost around $10-11 for little bottle. Not sure I could drink a lot of tea either though.... Maybe I'll mix it up a bit with both lol. The tablets have a horrid taste to them...glad to swallow them quickly down. Is the tea a horrid drink? or is it pleasant enough?

I have decided to order the epi-no..what the heck. Anything the helps... I figure the price is worth it if I don't tear or don't tear as much as i might have..

BellyBelly Member

Mar 2006
    Getting to know Brisbane all over again

I had the tea (I think it's bloody awlful) started at 34wks on one cup a day for a week then 2, up to 3 by 36wks.

DS was induced at 36wks due to preclampsia but I was already 4cm dilated (had being having mild cramping for a a few days) labour was 5hrs with syntocin

DD was induced with ARM 4 days over as again I was 3-4cm dilated and was over being pg (long story) drank 4 cups the day before induction was up most of the night with braxtons and prelabour, waters "probably" broke that morning before induction as there was nothing there and bub was born 3 1/2 hrs from ARM 2 hrs after contract became regular

For me, I reckon the RLT worked but I wouldn't recommend the 4cups labour was extremely intense!

Jan 2006
    Brisbane south side

I really can't see myself drinking 4 cups of stuff I hate.. But I will maybe manage a couple.. Maybe I will stick to the tablets..or both. My son was born 2 hours after a drip inserted into my arm (syntocin?) because my waters had slowly leaked out and contractions had died down. He came out pretty fast. The midwife never had time to check my dilation! (the only check I had done was when the drip went in..I was 3cm then!). I gave birth standing up leaning over the bed! The midwife wanted me to get up on the bed..and I was like "Ok...and then NOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo!" (contractions too painful). The labour was very stop/start at the beginning, and the hospital (different one) for this birth, won't induce labour...so i hope that labour starts better this time round (2nd time too...I may get lucky). I plan to stay home a bit before going in.
    Last edited by CathyS; April 24th, 2009 at 11:48 PM.

BellyBelly Member

Mar 2006
    Getting to know Brisbane all over again

Cathy - it was dreadfully hard to stomach but I really wanted to go into labour naturally :-) I used to make the tea,let it cool and either scull it down or mix it with juice (but then you had to drink twice as much cause it was diluted :-)

Jan 2006
    Brisbane south side

I don't even like green tea without milk LOL. Gonna be hard for me. Maybe I will let it cool and scull down LOL.

Dec 2007
    Victoria

Have you tried the tea? It is actually quite pleasant. The first sip was unusual, but after that I really like it. You can add sugar to it too.
    ETA I HATE green tea lol

Jan 2006
    Brisbane south side

No, I've never had the tea before. I hope I like it! I will buy some soon.

May 2008
    Melbourne

Not sure if it was just a coincodence but i went into labour at 39 weeks just a few days after taking the RLT tablets

Aug 2006

I used to add a little sugar, let it cool and then drink it down quickly. It's not great but really not too bad either, I didn't mind it in the end.

Nov 2006
    Somewhere Over The Rainbow

I started drinking the tea at appx 32 weeks - I also drank nettle tea on the advice of my midwife ( i love the stuff now! ).

We also did perenium massage.

Labour from waters breaking to birth was 1.5 hours - and very intense! I did have a slight tear and didnt really need a stitch but had one anyway.

My first baby I had no idea about RLT - that was a 15 hour labour....... so yes, I do think the RLT made a difference GL hun!!!