Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: really bad constipation

Red face really bad constipation

I'm sorry this is going to be TMI. I have been on the toilet the last hour trying to go but I end up with THE worst pains, felt like labour pain, I was getting hot flushes and fell off the toilet I was that dizzy. I felt like I was going to push the baby out. I couldn't do anything and now still have really bad pains. I don't have the car to get down the chemist, anything else I can do?

OH that sounds awful, I dont know what you can do for immediate relief bu tbe careful with all the pushing as you dont want to get haemerroids!! I have IBS and so I have been increasing fibre intake and drinking loads of water and that helps a lot, also i have flax/linseed seeds on my cereal every day which helps (make sure you drink a lot when you have these).... sorry not much immediate help but maybe try this and see if it helps in the future.

You poor chook - constipation is so nasty!

really avoid pushing on the toilet if you can - when you push you actually close a valve in your heart - hence the dizziness.

There are lots of "natural" things you can do. If you have grapes, prunes, prune juice, licorice (sp?) at home have some of those. They can all have a laxative effect (but this does depend on the individual).
    Another thing (and something I ALWAYS reccomend) is warm water drinks. Boil the kettle, pour a mug of water and start drinking it once it has cooled a bit (or pour 3/4 boiling water and 1/4 cold water). This usually works quicker if you do some gentle exercise afterwards. Even walking around the back yard might be enough to get your bowels moving. If you drink several cups it might kick start the bowels as well.
    I've got a friend who also puts a hot pack on her belly which does little more than relax tummy muscles and allowing you to "relax" to go. I've never had success with this.

HTH and hope you get some relief soon.

MG

ETA Just a thought renee - do you have any "trigger" foods? I know whenever I have a particular brand of lasange I end up on the toilet within 30 minutes. If you have a trigger food and there is some at home, give it a go.

Thanks so much ladies Will be trying it all. Yes mothergoose, normally milk works but lately it hasn't! Just my luck.

You can get cereal for bowel problems I was really bad and had some Healthwise Healthy Bowel and Digestion cereal with blueberries and drank a lot of water and hot drinks and it cleared me out I looked about 7months preg I was so swollen its really awful I have that cereal every day now though and it really helps me

When you can get to the chemist.... other then normal foods as MG suggested, get some coloxyl with senna... they will work wonders for you....(and they are safe in pg cos i posted about it and Alan said they were fine).

MG
    Licorice should not be taken during pregnancy as it could cause birth defects

Renee
    Until you can get to the chemist you could try this trick that I have used on constipated children.
    Lie on your back and move your legs as if you are riding a bicycle. ( I hope this makes sense) do this for about 10 mins. Then go and sit on the toilet hopefully things will start to move. If not you can repeat every couple of hours or so

Kimbaz you are right coloxyl and senna are safe and very effective

Didn't know that one Alan! Interesting!

Holy crap! Alan, are you serious?? I've just been eating licorice, I love it and eat it quite often. Definately ate it during my first prg!

Why aren't we told this? Why isn't it on the list of foods to avoid???

Sorry to hijack your post Renee!
    Last edited by Willow; April 30th, 2007 at 09:37 PM.

The following is part of a research paper by the University of Maryland
    Licorice consumption may cause serious side effects. Too much of the component glycyrrhizin causes a condition called pseudoaldosteronism, which can cause an individual to become overly sensitive to a hormone in the adrenal cortex. This condition can lead to headaches, fatigue, high blood pressure, and even heart attacks. It may also cause water retention, which can lead to leg swelling and other problems. An overdose of glycyrrhizin can lead to harmful conditions such as high blood pressure and even heart attack.
    Although the most dangerous effects generally only occur with high doses of licorice or glycyrrhizin, side effects may occur even with average amounts of licorice. Some people experience muscle pain or numbness in the arms and legs. Too much licorice can also cause weight gain. These problems can probably be avoided if dosages are kept within the recommended guidelines. It is safest, though, to have use of licorice monitored by your health care provider.
    People with high blood pressure, obesity, diabetes, or kidney, heart, or liver conditions should avoid licorice. This herb should also not be used by pregnant or breast-feeding women or by men with decreased libido or other sexual dysfunctions. Use of any licorice product is not recommended for longer than 4 - 6 weeks.

OK girls there has been some confusion on this subject. Natural licorice that is to say the licorice plant is not recommended in pregnancy. Licorice candy is usually no longer flavoured with the licorice plant so if this is what you are eating then its fine. But should not be taken in large amounts.

Wow - I'm glad I read this. I just bought a packet of licorice the other day and had some last night and a tiny bit a few hours ago! I think I will dispose of the licorice!!!!

Holy Cow, Batman! I've been chewing down the Darryl Lea's and it's got the natural flavouring liquorice in it! Uh oh!

Anyway, back on topic: two words = PRUNE JUICE!!

I hope you are feeling better yet? Also another good thing to do is when you are constipated (in fact any time you are on the loo!) it's a good idea to get a little stool (like the kiddy one's) and put that under your feet so your knees are lifted up and that helps your bowels to move a bit easier too.... more natural... as in the squat position but you are sitting on the toilet... does that make sense? I hope so.
    Good luck it's awful being constipated. and yes, prunes are best!!But not too many or you will get the opposite effect TRUST ME!

Marydean
    I would suspect that there is only a very small amount in there

Still, I've been reading up on liquorice and hypertension, and I'm running the blood pressure gauntlet right now so I think I'll just have one more piece....LOL!

hehehe
    Sorry girls. When I saw licourice I just thought of natural licourice. It was only when I saw a post by Willow in the professional support thread that I realised we could be talking about different things.

lol thanks for that everyone, will try it next time Got dp to go down to the chemist last night so hopefully it won't happen again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast