Thread: The second (or third, or fourth..) time around

Default The second (or third, or fourth..) time around

I have been thinking alot lately about how different I feel this time around. So I thought I would start a list and see what others could add to it.

This time I won't:

• worry so much about labour - I have faith I can do it this time
    • have a private OB - see above!!
    • buy into the cutsie baby stuff they flog pregnant women - most of it is so unneccessary!
    • bother worrying about stretch marks - they came, I saw, I conquered!
    • nest - well I don't think I will, because I will have an 18mo to chase by the due date!!
    • cook massive amounts of casseroles to store in the freezer - this bub is due in summer

But this time I will:
    • take nutritional supplements and stay off the caffeine and McDonald's - I was a bit cavalier last time
    • exercise more and be careful not to "indulge" too much - don't wanna be battling the baby bulge for the rest of my life!
    • die with hayfever in springtime - I am not looking forward to being a big pg lady with a runny nose!
    • fill in a baby book - I still have Flynn's, untouched (number 2 will have something the first won't!)
    • sleep when the baby sleeps - if Flynn will let me!

Yep, I can relate...

I didn't actually nest this time around...lol...I took the time to rest if I felt tired.
    I didn't buy the cutsie crap but made sure I had the essentials.
    Actually found that I didn't get any more stretch marks (that I can tell) than what I had already from number 1 anyway.

I will also be filling in my baby book...and just taking more time to spend enjoying my baby and not worrying about if things are done.

Cass you are doing well to be posting less than two weeks after Oskar's birth - woohoo!!

OK, for me, this time, I will:

Be more assertive with my health careres.
    Be more healthy, watch what I eat more.
    Excercise as much as I feel comfortable with.

I won't:

Allow others to steamroll me with what they think is best for me.
    Put on so much weight.
    Stress so much about not being able to cope.

That's all I can think of right now....

THis is a great thread!

Ooh - I dunno! I'm not sure I can enjoy a pg as much or more than my first one. LOL. I had a great pg, and didn't stress at all.

I think mine will look like this

I will:

- Take the time to get DS's pg & baby journal done during this pg, ready to go for the new one.
    - ENJOY taking only 1 vitamin tablet per day (elevit is fantastic coz it's only 1 tab - last pg I was taking vitamins that were 3 per day, PLUS taking metformin! When not feeling well, that's a lot to swallow!)
    - Exercise! At least try and go for walks I want to be fitter during this labour.. I was a bit out of breath with the last.
    - Even tho it's a summer baby - I MUST get some meals in the freezer. I also will get some meals in teh freezer for this first triimester! (Poor DH survived on Lean Cuisines last time LOL coz I didn't want to cook)

I won't:
    - Become lax about what I eat in this pg (was VERY good through pg#1). Both DH & I weren't as stringent with our diets during TTC of this one, but I need to stay strict with myself now that I'm pg. Alcohol & caffiene have been easy coz I've stayed off them b/fing so that's no biggy
    - I won't get to veg & relax through this pg Coz of running around with a toddler.. which is why I said my opening sentence - I won't have the luxuries that I did with the first pg, so I don't think that first pg can be topped. hehe.
    Last edited by Liz; April 9th, 2007 at 08:15 AM. Reason: thought of a couple more things!

I am:
    ~ Already dying of hayfever - two bad bouts in two weeks is not a great start considering I am due in spring! My sinuses nearly exploded last night LOL!

I will:
    ~ Get another baby book early and have filled in what I can before baby arrives.
    ~ try not to put on too much weight again by eating better, but at the same time not stress about what mother nature thinks I should put on anyway.
    ~ Enjoy every last minute of this pg no matter what (please feel free to remind me of this statement when I am 39weeks) as this will more than likely be my last baby.

I actually don't have any 'wont's' at this stage - but I may be back later LOL

Sherie I hear you on this one & I am trying to be doing the same... so far it's not as bad as my preg with Indah...

~ Enjoy every last minute of this pg no matter what (please feel free to remind me of this statement when I am 39weeks) as this will more than likely be my last baby.

Other than that i go with the flow If I over indulge I just go ooops try not to tomorrow, if I do again I just laugh & tell myself Zyon is a pig!!! LOL

I will worry tomorrow, today is for living & enjoying!!!!

I am:
    Doing pre-natal yoga classes
    Keeping a pregnancy diary
    Showing off my bump every chance i get

I wont:
    Buy impractical size 0000 outfits - little girls just dont wear dresses at 3 weeks old
    Buy too many maternity clothing....i can get away with larger sizes in normal wear

MBear - I hear you on the pimractical baby clothing!!

I need to add that I WON'T buy maternity clothing if it is of a style that I wouldn't normally wear - I don't wear frills now, I sure as hell won't want to when I am huge....

Yep, me too with the baby clothes. Of course if it's a girl, I still have plenty of impractical things I got for Em

Though of another one - I WILL realise that 1st trimester tiredness does pass, and will stop feeling guilty about not exercising and wanting to sleep in all the time

ttcno2 Guest

I won't:

worry about the whole "packing a hospital and labour" bag so much - realising i didnt need anything (except gas) during labour, and anything important for afterwards dh can go home and get anyway

be in a hurry to get home and stay in hospital as long as a i can to be waited on! (last time was gone before 48 hours were up)

will approach early breast feeding a bit differently - realise that it takes a while, be prepared to do more expressing instead of thinking it was unnatural, drink more water, be more patient

have many expectations of myself in the last few weeks of preg, realising that i pushed myself (think painting nursery, assembling cot, moving bookshelves, what an idiot) too hard in those last weeks and probably didnt do my blood pressure any good

i will

try to cook a few more meals

try to set up easy breastfeeding place with a tv in the nursery so im not so bored at night feeds

keep exercising and taking those vitamins (thanks for the remidner girls, i keep forgetting)

Quote Originally Posted by Roryrory View Post
    Cass you are doing well to be posting less than two weeks after Oskar's birth - woohoo!!
    Thanks. Probably had Oskar attached to the boob though!!

Linda, I was defintely more assertive in what I wanted and how I wanted to have my baby. It was great being so much more informed and understanding of how things work!! The feeling of empowerment!!

ej_1974 Guest

i won't:
    berate myself for not exercising when I am tired
    take my tiredness out on dh
    eat as much choc
    buy any unnecessary clothes or other baby bits
    let my mother & m-i-l boss me about

I will:
    always love my babies
    take my fav pg supp elevit
    eat healthy with less choc
    try to swim
    enjoy how nice and thoughtful stangers are when pg (as well as family)