Thread: Smell induced morning sickness

Question Smell induced morning sickness

It's horrible!! I didn't get any morning sickness with Zander at all, but this bubba I am. It's really only started over the last week or two & only with smells. Zander's nappies I'm cool with, but for some reason if he poos on the potty that sets me off which is really odd. I opened the lid of our electric fry pan that was soaking from yesterday & that set me off, the smell wasn't even that bad. Bananas have done it when they are starting to get over ripe LOL.

Anyone have any ideas on how to combat it? There's no warning, just a strong smell then *bleurk*

Grab a bottle of eucalyptus oil and keep it handy hun. If something makes you ill by the smell have a sniff of that. As long as that doesn't make you ill. Pepermint oil or something like that might be good too as pepermint is said to be good for morning sickness.

LOL Caro!

Trish are you sure eucalyptus is ok in pregnancy? When I had a cold a few weeks ago I think I read conflicting advice on it? Peppermint i can do.

I had this too sarah and the only thing I could do for it was to not go near an offensive smell. I tried having a hanky with lavender oil on it but it didn't work. I was set off by so many different things and things that werent even stinky like perfume or cooking smells. As a childcare worker, it was hard for me to stay away from some scents which offended me....

Kellie it's bizarre isn't it, it doesn't have to be a bad smell, just a strong one.

Maybe I need a peg

Ooops sorry about that Sarah. I thought that when typing. Still, I use it in the kitchen. I put hot water in the sink, alittle eucalyptus oil in the water and clean down my benches, I alos put it in the water when I do the floors. Makes the house smell clean.

Bah not at all Trish. A lot of what I read was that it's ok as long as it's not ingested, so I thought I'd steer clear all together JIC.

Hehehehehe...

Not much I can offer to help I'm afraid, I used to try and concentrate really hard read something or focus so I wouldn't be sick. But sometimes it just doesn't work.

OK, so how about grabbing a eucalyptus lolly then Like those cough lollies. I'm sure they would be safe.

OR, get away from the smell and make Aaron do the dishes !!

i learnt to only breathe through my mouth (almost panting sometimes to ensure I was only breathing shallow and through my mouth) cause smell is a big offender for me when I'm pregnant (usually my first pregnancy sign is the cooked chook aisle at the supermarket or cooking mince nad the quick dash to the loo that follows).

Fortunately, although i suffered from the smell-induced morning sickness as well, i didn't actually "upchuck" very much past six weeks. I do feel for you though, i had it so bad with smell that if someone else in the house cooked something not so great for breakfast i'd be feeling nauseaus and unable to eat for the rest of the day. I always had a bottle of cheap, but not off-putting perfume on hand / collars / etc, but it wasn't too succesful.
    GL, hopefully the next few weeks is out of your way as quickly as possible!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah_H View Post
    Bananas have done it when they are starting to get over ripe LOL.

HAHA I have just read this post and i work at a fruit and vege wholesaler thats sells mostly bananas today one of our drivers opened a cold room that had 50 cartons of over ripe bananas. I'm not preg (well i don't know yet) and it almost sent me running to the toilet

Sarah I had and still have the same thing, I didn't really have bad morning sickness with any of my pregnancies but always had the smell induced gagathon attacks I find chemicals really set me off I can smell them from miles away it's awful!

I'm also having the same thing...usually bad smells though. This morning, I had a client come into a small office with very bad BO.... I am thanking everything he didn't want to fill in a form but take it home as I couldn't have stayed with him for the 30 mins it takes to fill out!!!
    Drove past a fertiliser plant on the weekend and I was driving and gaged... DH states - do you want to stop!!!!! WTF! why I want to get out of here not stay around it!!!! He then gets it - opps he says!

paradise lost Guest

ONIONS! I could tell if XP had eaten onions up to 12 hours earlier by the dry-heaving it immediately induced. I hated it! I used karvol on a hankie (which is one of those decongestant-that-you-put-on-your-pillow things made principally of pine oil i think) but even that had limited effect. DOn't worry hun, this too will pass.

Bx

rockchick22 Guest

i know someone who had too much peppermint to combat nausea and now she cant eat any because it reminds her of throwing up hahaha...i think id rather that than throw up for a couple months lol

Oh goodness this brings back memories. My boss had me sitting outside the men's loo and I spent a lot of time gagging from that!

Breathing through the mouth worked for me, or breathing through a hanky. Or staying outside in the fresh air.