Thread: spina bifida

Default spina bifida

Hello there everyone!

I have got myself into a bit of a tissy! I had my doctors appointment yesterday morning and he was a little disappointed that my first doctor (whom I no longer see) gave me a referral for a NT scan in my 2nd trimester. My doctor I am now seeing does not like to refer women for this scan.
    So I decided to do a little research on spina bifida, which is what the doctor told me this scan is for. So it turns out that women who have taken anti-epileptic medication are at risk. I took this medication when I was younger and stopped when I was approx 8 years old.
    Do you think this could still have an affect on our baby now?? I am 23 years old this year. I donít know who to ask? Should I make an appointment with my doctor to discuss this?? Im worried now.
    Thanx
    XOXOX

Hi Renee,

As far as I'm aware that risk would be for women that have taken the drug close to conception or while pregnant. I could be wrong, though. Have you been taking a pg vitamin because from what I have read, folate deficiency is the highest risk factor.

Good luck
    Nat

i would think they mean any medication taken close to conception, but i would speak to the dr to find out for sure. i am trying to conceive through IVF and have been taking elevit to help prevent spina bifida, have you been told to take any pregnancy vitamins?

I took folic acid 5 months before falling pregnant, now im taking elevit. Its much easier to remember to take it every night now ive got a baby in my belly, I had a little trouble before!

Reneenay,
    A 12 week ultrasound will check that the spinal area of your baby is as it should be. However a nuchal translucency test (which usually combines u/sound and a blood test) is not for spina bifida it is to check the nuchal fold at the back of your baby's neck. In babies with a chromosomal abnormality this area is enlarged and the bloods can also reflect this. In doing the NT u/s the doctor or ultrasonographer will check for spina bifida also but it is not primarily what a NT u/s is.

With regard to your medication it is highly unlikely that the meds you took as a child will affect your baby. This is only relevant if you were taking the medication whilst pregnant.
    I hope that has helped.

Oops sorry It wasnít a scan it was a blood test I got the referral for at 19 weeks (2nd Trimester). I have had the 12-week blood test & scan already and everything was perfect.
    Thank you so much for your replies, I really appreciate it! It has really helped me calm down. I will talk to my doctor at my next appointment. Gosh, I love you BB ladies!

No problem Reenay! I imagine your doctor is doing the bloods (I am having a BAD day today and the name of the test escapes me!) for AFP. This is an indicator of spina bifida and some obs will still do it. I haven't had it personally. You can feel relatively safe if your 12 week u/s looked good and your anomaly scan at 18-20 weeks does also. This is probably the best indicator now days that u/s is so much clearer than it was a few years ago.

Hey Reenay,

I had my BT for spina bifida at 15 weeks...I get the results back at 17 weeks...

Wishing you all the best!