Thread: Stress in early pregnancy?

Red face Stress in early pregnancy?

I own and manage my own business with my husband and some days can be rather stressful... like many jobs can be I guess!!

Since finding out we've been pregnant, i've been very careful not to get too stressed over little things or worry too much and so far i've been very good. Today was rather stressful with a few problems arising and trying to settle everything and I guess i am one of those people that try to fix everything!!! lol and help out when instead i should just take a step back and let others deal with it. When it's your own business though it's hard.

What i'm trying to say is, today was stressful, and I got pretty upset and stressed out at one point (hormones aren't helping probably) is this bad for the baby? If I don't let it happen again will all be fine?

I'm now worried about the baby and feel so guilty for letting myself get so stressed over a situation today.

slyder Guest

It is my understanding that very high levels of stress can be harmful and cause miscarriage - but I'm talking armed conflict/nuclear war kind of stress. Day to day life stresses won't make or break your pregnancy. It's an understandable concern that you have, but one that I don't think you should give too much time to. Don't be stressed about being stressed OK!

Oh Ren

Too much stress isn't good for anyone. But, as far as I know you getting stressed once won't cause your bub any harm.

I have however, read a study that showed that continual stress throughout pregnancy can lead to anxious baby as they have been exposed to increased levels of stress hormones during their development.

I suppose what I am saying is that a one off won't hurt and you shouldn't stress about that at all.

Maybe putting some relaxation exercises into practice would be a good thing if you feel yourself getting stressed. One of the easiest is the 3x3. Breath in for three counts, hold for three counts and then exhale for three counts and do this three times. It is unbelievable how effective it can be and it only takes a second (or 20)

HTH

I won't go into detail, but I was under ENORMOUS personal stress when I got pg with Isabelle. Ok not nuclear war or armed conflict but emotionally it was close enough and she was fine. They are pretty resilient bubs and you will find your emotions are up and down all the time which doesn't help hun. Try to pamper yourself as much as you can, so if you have a really busy horrid stressful day, try to have a warm bath and early night, with DH giving you a nice footrub each time it happens, and try not to stress about stressing!!

Thank you for that exercise Taffy Lou. i will definitely try that next time (hopefully won't need to tho)
    Thanks Slyder. I'm naturally a worry-wart/stress-pot kinda gal, so that doesnt help! but perhaps my body is used to it by now.....

I'm off to have a nice hot (not too hot!) shower..... that will help.

And DH has asked me not to get so involved in the day's proceedings and to take a step back so i will try to do that from now on and just let it all happen around me

slyder Guest

No worries Ren

Look at Tan's example - almost nuclear stress and bubs totally fine! You're gonna be alright.

Thanks Slyder

Quote Originally Posted by slyder View Post
    No worries Ren

Look at Tan's example - almost nuclear stress and bubs totally fine! You're gonna be alright.
    Last edited by Shanti; May 27th, 2008 at 07:21 PM.

Thanks Tan i only just read your post.... missed it before. Thanks so much for the reassurance. I need it i hate letting myself get all worked up and even DH said "Ren look at your face its so red!" and normally it doesn't get that red? Like i wasn't that mad iywkim?? weird.... like you said Tan, it's probably most definitely my increase in hormones and my body is like 'what the heck' it's never done this before!! and also my fears of m/c are getting the better of me and i shouldnt let it.
    Last edited by Shanti; May 28th, 2008 at 07:10 AM.

Hi Renstar,not sure if there is any kind of evidence of stress in mothers and their unborn bubs,but I do know i had a very stressful 4th pregnancy,with lots of family members always interfering in my life,causing me to have high blood pressure,and then when ds was born he was very unsettle and a unhappy bub for about 4 months,I was a total mess during that pregnancy,I just had to tell my family to keep away in the end,hope your days are less streeful and good luck.

thanks girls. I'm much more relaxed today! And it's a new day so I am not going to let anything or anyone bother me! I've gotta think about this little bub and I don't want to get stressed out because this bub is so important. If i wasn't pregnant, i wouldn't mind getting stressed out.

You and your baby are going to be OK Renee . It is normal to have stressful days every now and then. I know you are normally a very happy, upbeat person so your bub has a great mum to hang out in over the next 8 months

Have a great day today!

Ren,

You and bubs will be fine! I have had 4 lots of spotting which stresses me out to no end! I went for my 13 week u/s on Monday (after ANOTHER spotting episode on weekend) and the bub is healthy and correct weight and size and the little heartbeat was cruising away! So one day of stess is not going to hurt you guys one little bit! Take from the expert!!
    Hope you feel better!
    Kate

Good on you Ren! Positive attitude sweety and keep focused on that gorgeous little bubby that is snuggled in and growing beautifully!

Thanks girls you all made me feel heaps better.

Well today was a nice quiet day at work, so quiet that i went home early! Woohoo!And no stress at all.

Got my hcg results (2nd blood work) back from GP and she told me my levels are 1055 so my hcg has more than doubled every 48hrs.... i'm sooo happy with the results!!

Off to have a lie down.... once again thank you for your support I think part of my stress yesterday was the fact that I hadn't yet heard from the GP about my results!!

Hi Ren

So glad that you had a better day today.

Great result with the HCG.

Put your feet up and think about how good it is that you could leave work early

hi Ren

Just wanted to say seriously, dont worry about stress. You worrying about being stressed is probably worse than "being" stressed lol!! It is so hard in the early days, I was so hormonal and stressed, Id get mad and upset about the tiniest things.....but yes, bubs is fine... Hope you're doing well xx

Chippy Guest

I spent the early weeks of my pregnancy (I'm only 12 weeks now) stressed out of my brain - mostly because I was scared that the pregnancy wouldn't stick. Now I've started taking some bush flower essences from the health food shop - called calm and clear - and they've really helped. I now only have brief moments of anxiety and neurosis instead of hours and days.

ETA: Rescue Remedy would probably be just a good.

Thanks girls. It was really only that day that i was a bit stressed and rather worried about the effects of it. Since then, i've ensured i'm pretty relaxed even at work!! (as hard as that can be!!! ) and overall I've been very calm and relaxed in these early stages of the pregnancy. I really thought i'd be a bag full of nerves when i first fell pregnant however i've been alot more calm. I guess it's just cos' i have a good feeling about the pregnancy and i trust my body.... that's all i can do really.
    (i've heard about Rescue Remedy sounds good!)