Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Superstitions - what have you heard?

Default Superstitions - what have you heard?

Hi all,

I was told of a superstition about buying your pram and keeping in your house. Apparently you shouldn't keep it in your house but give to a family member or keep it in your car. WHAT THE????

So it got me thinking of what others have heard and if you believe this one and your own? There are so many its really intrigued me!

Floss xx

Yeah I have heard these.... also never rock an empty cradle... but it really depends on how superstitious u r as to whether u follow them.

Some of my DH's relos don't believe in buying gifts for a baby until it's born - they consider it bad luck or something??? I just think they are being tight - lol!

I heard about the pram one. I was told to get DP to buy it AFTER the baby is born.

I dont believe in superstitions..

I dont beleive in them either.....cos i probably have broken everyone of them!!

I feel if I buy any preg books, or baby items till after it's born I'm jynxing it, that's just my own paranoia though

oh my gosh. I have never heard of these. How funny lol Im dont believe that stuff, although it does play on my mind for a little bit lol oh actually I have heard not to name the baby before its born.

i thought i would jinx baby if i brought before 12 weeks. And certainly not while trying.
    Still worry about buying stuff - but, thats just my expect the worse attitude sometimes.
    My SIL says shouldnt tell people what names you have picked, cause that is bad luck.

I haven't bought anything yet because I'm worried about jinxing it - things like that don't usually worry me though, I've never been one for superstitions.

Yay I'm glad I'm not the only one worried about jynxing it lol

clare076 Guest

Funnily I started buying things each week from 4 weeks with Shelby, purchased a pram, told everyone we were expecting and thought of names. I didn't with Max, I don't know why just never felt "right" about doing it.
    With this one I haven't even walked down the baby aisle at coles. I am not superstitious but do believe in following your instincts. My instincts are still telling me to wait.

I'm not superstitious.
    We picked up our pram off layby, unwrapped it and it is sitting in the nursery. I've pushed it around the house too. I haven't got my cot etc... off layby yet.
    I've bought clothes, nappies etc... too. Mind you we did wait to buy most of the stuff until after our 20 week scan...................

I am glad i not the only one with the 'jinx' feeling. I feel bubs move everyday now, so it makes it easier to go shopping and get excited, but, still in teh back of my mind, is the thought that other people have come this far - and further, and still, it hasnt worked out. But, i try to think positive thoughts, in case baby picks up on the negative ones....
    For me, i dont think so much its superstitions, but more of i still cant believe it, and so i keep waiting for something to happen.
    I am one of those people that believe in fate - and/or gut feelings. If i feel 100% positive about an idea, or things just sorta fall in place like its ment to happen, then i go for it. And i have never had that 100% positive feeling. Althougth, when i think about it, the timing for this preg has worked out pretty good, i was wanting to leave my job after the easter hols anyway, and thats what i will be doing, so, just maybe it has fallen into place.

I heard the one about not drinking from a broken glass when pg otherwise your bub will have a hare-lip/cleft palate deformity.

All I can say is "yeah.....right....."

That said, I was terrified something would happen while I was pg

The pram superstition is so strongly ingrained here that you're not even given the option of taking the stroller home with you if you buy it before the baby comes. They'll store it in the shop for you and you pick it up after the baby is born!

I've heard people say that you shouldnt buy baby things before you are pregnant because then you wont get pregnant. I dont believe that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Karina View Post
    I've heard people say that you shouldnt buy baby things before you are pregnant because then you wont get pregnant. I dont believe that though.
    I don't believe it either but I know someone who isn't even ovulating (after 7 years on Depo shots) yet, but has bought a crib and breast pump already! -I just think it's not a wise way/time to spend money is all!

babymuddle Guest

when i found out i was preg with DS i went straight out and bought a pair of booties hey i was excited. well DP freaked right out and started ranting that we'd jinxed the baby bla bla. now; 1) he's is the least supersticious person i've met and 2) that's not the smartest thing to say to a hormonal and preg woman. needless to say DS is now 3 and half and has never been sick a day in his life. i wonder why there are so many superstitions associated with babys and aslo weddings?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast