Thread: Taking Panadine Forte while pg

Default Taking Panadine Forte while pg

Hi All,

I know that taking Panadine Forte while pg is OK but what what sort of effect does it have on the baby? I mean.... does the forte get to the baby and make him/her sleepy/groggy like it would me?!

Just checking because my doc perscribed forte for the cluster migraines I am getting. They went away for a few days but are coming back and I need some sort of relief from the migraines.

Try googling it Ngala, there is heaps of info on it, (I can't put up links) though some a bit scary sounding (more in relation to too much codeine).

I had to take a fair bit of it in this pregnancy for migraines, thankfully which settled down in the latter 2nd tri. I would have been continuously vomitting and in bed without it. All indications is that it's safe in pregnancy and I have an over cautious doctor and he still prescribed it.
    I hope they settle down for you, I really know what it feels like and it's hard without being able to rely on the usual migraine drugs. My body took a while for panadeine forte to even work , I was used to taking imigran which works great but of course is unsafe in pregnancy.

Good luck!

I had to have pins put in my foot after a fall at 31 weeks pg and had panadeine forte for a few weeks after that and Riley is fine (i had to have morphine and pethadine after the op so panadeine f seemed mild!)

I don't believe there is any effects on the baby that you would have to worry about. just be mindful that codeine can cause constipation, especially in such a large dose, something that doesn't want to be exacerbated in pregnancy! Hope those migraines ease up.

Thanks everyone!! I didnt think that there would be any effect but thought just to ask because my mum told me not to dare think about taking it!

I didnt end up having any yesterday like I thought I would. The migraine just past on its own and I hope it stays away for a very very long time.

Hello,

I just wanted to share some migraine tips. As I am a terrible sufferer and thought these alternatives might help reduce the medication if u r worried about taking it.

Though I personally think being in pain is stressful for me and the baby.

my cluster headaches can sometimes be helped by a chiropractor adjustment which might be worth trying.

A cold cloth on the back of the neck is quite helpful and sometimes a heat pack helps with the pain just try each and see which helps.

but if its unmanageable then don't hesitate to take some relief.

Ngala, I took quite a lot of panadeine forte in my early pregnancy, because my migraines because much more frequent as a result of all those lovely pregnancy hormones - to be honest, I found it didn't help very much at all, but it took the edge off the pain, IYKWIM. I presume the panadeine forte would enter baby's bloodstream, but for it to be considered safe during pregnancy (which it is, even by conservative OB's), it would have gone through some fairly rigorous testing I would imagine.

HERE is a post I did on migraines during pregnancy a while back - some people had some great suggestions for non-pharmaceutical options for pain relief.

Every source I've come across both real life/human and net research has told me that it's not wise to take opiates during pregnancy unless specifically prescribed by a doc who knows you're pregnant ---and as panadine forte contains codeine that would put it in that catagory.

I used to be a big fan of Panadine Forte for dealing with my migraines and back troubles but I haven't touched one throughout this pregnancy. I won't risk it, but perhaps your doctor can help you decide what's best for you and your baby.