Thread: Target Cots

Question Target Cots

Hello there lovely ladies!
    I was just wondering if anyone has purchased a target cot? I personally thought they looked a little flimsy in the shop but maybe thatís just me and Iíve never really seen a cot close up let alone purchased one! They are quite cheap for the set (cot and change table).
    However, I went to babyland on the weekend and they have some lovely (expensive) solid timber cots, which look very sturdy and safe.
    I guess I want to know if the target cots are as safe as the more expensive brands, and if itís worth buying a more expensive one???
    I hope im making sense haha
    Thanx everyone XOXOX

i have a target cot - it has solid ends & the slats on each sides - i looked at heaps of cots & found it the best value for money - it wsa great & eliana used it for almost 2 years & i will be using it again for my next baby - it is very sturdy & met all the safety standards - good luck in your search

Thanx Melissa! Maybe it was just the display ones that looked a bit iffy, maybe the staff put it together wrong? The front of the cot which could be moved up and down to adjust the height had a gap inbetween both the side wooden legs/ and I could push it to each side. I thought maybe little fingers could get cought?
    I thought buying the gear would be the fun and easy part, its so confusing!
    They do have great deals dont they!

we have also brought a target cot with the change top. We shook the absolute crap outta the cot first thou, and then checked the legs, bars, rails everything to see if anything came loose. Maybe the one you seen was not put together right, as this one was quite firm. Of course after doing that, we then and go get one already boxed up, but hopefully it is also just as good.

IKWYM about the target cots looking flimsy.....not sure if they are... i went against them and went to babyco and got DD a vey expensive cot, change table and dresser/bookcase package..... hurt the bank balance... but i felt safe!

Now with this bub im not prepared to spend the same amount all over again... so will prob look at finding something as nice but not so dear....

You have to feel safe with what you buy... so look around

The choice baby products guide is very good, and might be useful for you to look at - they have it at most bookshops, or it may be on the website (some product test results are free to download others are not)

Here is an extract of what to look for from the choice website. If anyone wants a copy of the full report with test results for 10 cots (was done in mid 2006) email me [email protected] and I will send it to you in word format.

Sturdy and durable ó All components should be permanently fixed or require the use of a tool to take apart.
    Deep enough to stop a child falling out ó The distance from the top of the mattress in the cot to the top of the lowest side when the dropside is up should be at least 500 mm with the base set in the lowest position, and at least 300 mm when itís in the upper position. The depth from top of the mattress to the top of the dropside should be at least 150 mm when the dropside is down.
    The mattress fits snugly around all sides ó When you choose a mattress make sure the gap between the edge of the mattress and the adjacent cot side is no more than 40 mm when the mattress is pushed to the opposite side.
    There are no head entrapment hazards ó Any large space or opening between adjacent components must be between 50 mm and 95 mm to avoid the babyís head getting trapped.
    No limb entrapment hazards ó Smaller openings shouldnít be between 30 mm and 50 mm wide.
    No finger entrapment hazard ó Any very small space or opening between adjacent components shouldnít be between 5 mm and 12 mm wide (unless it's at least 20 mm long), so little fingers donít get caught.
    No hazardous protrusions ó No components should stick out or up to snag on a childís clothing, and all edges should be blunted, smooth and gently contoured.
    No footholds ó There should be no bars or other structures in the cot (or even any included toys) that could by used by the child as a ledge for climbing out.
    And for the carer:
    The dropside should be secure and smooth to operate ó The dropside on the cot should be impossible for a child to open but convenient for the childís carer to operate.
    The dropside doesnít crush your feet when you open it ó To clear your feet, the bottom of the dropside when itís open should be at least 50 mm off the floor.

Secondhand cots
    Itís generally recommended you donít buy a secondhand cot. Secondhand and heirloom cots can be a hazard to children:
    The gaps between their bars can be too wide.
    Some have protrusions on corners that can create a strangulation hazard.
    Their catches can be too easy to undo.
    They can be painted with lead paint that children can chew on and swallow when they're teething.
    I would consider a second hand cot if I knew the person it came from, how old it was and if it still met safety standards.

The cot you saw may seem flimsy when becuase it was not well assembled. Or it may be a piece of crap.

We have a boori cot, which was quite expensive, but by the time we have another bub Milo will be in a bed so we will re-use it.
    Last edited by Pandora; February 16th, 2007 at 08:33 AM.

Hi reneenay,
    I didnt buy a cot from target but I bought absolutly everything else from there!!

I bought pram, car seat, change table and other tids and bits... I found them all to be GREAT... and yes I agree.. the cots looks flimsy but as mum2bee said it passed the 'shake the buggery' out of it test
    I just bought a cot this week from ebay... the seller is babygoodsgearandstuff.. the cot was excellent... brand new, in the box.. they deliver all over australia.. just need to contact her for the cost... I know perth is a bit of a stretch but its worth a lookiesee!! Same prices as Target but a wee bit better quality

Good luck!!!

We have a target cot and Lily is still using it 26mths later. Charlie will also been using it soon. We have moved twice with it too and it is still as good as it was when we bought it. The floor stock do look a bit crappy but the ones in the boxes usually don't.

lindie Guest

Hi not too sure if this helps.

My mum works for target and they get the young inexperienced kids to put them up and they do a [email protected] job at it, saying that my mums bought us a Target (childcare brand) cot and its great My DH also did the shake and wack test all was good.

HTH

Lindie

yeah, i was at target yesterday, and seen some of the cots that where made up, and they actually look liked crap, where scratched etc. But, when we had purchased ours, they looked heaps better. So, perhaps its a case of who sets them up.
    But, the Target i went to, admitlly, always seem to be a mess.

Reneey - I don't know much about Target cots but maybe you should wait until the baby shops have their sales. You could get some good deals. Also do you have a Boori or other cot manufacturer around your area? If so then some times have scratch and dent rooms. My SIL got a whole suite (cot, change table and toy box) from a brand comparable with Boori for $1200. I thought that was good value and the items all match and they only had min damage.

Another tip: If you buy a Babyco cot you can only get Babyco matresses. This is fine for the first bub but you may want to change the mattress for the next bub and they are expensive.

Hi!

We bought a target cot - sounds like the same as Melissa's with the solid ends and slat sides...
    We've been really happy with it! It's very sturdy and we've had no safety concerns whatsoever. I know they're about $299 in the shops but we waited for a sale so wouldn't have paid anymore than $220-250!
    Personally I think it's a waste to spend any more than that! hehe.
    Louis was in it from day 1 as well and our new bubba will move in after we get Louis into a big bed!

Thank you so much for your help ladies!
    I swore I wouldnt be like my friend who bought a $1000 cot + change table when she was pregnant LOL! I thought 'what a goose', but looks like I couldnt help myself!
    I ended up going to babyland and buying a gro-time (I think...or was it grow-years) cot, spring matress and change table for $700. It was such a lovely cot.
    There was a matching tall boy for $800, now thats silly! I kept clear of that purchase
    Still feeling a bit guilty though.

We have a Target cot (Childcare Harbour) and it is really sturdy and we are very happy with it.

Renee don't feel guilty for your purchase - trust me a nice cot is still a nice cot iykwim - i'm sure once all the furnishings are done you'll be really pleased that you got the one you wanted - and wait to you see it with your gorgeous bubba in it - trust me it will melt your heart - + $700 is quite reasonable IMO - ENJOY!!! - you deserve to get the one you want

I agree with Dianna Renee - don't feel guilty. We spent about $750 on just the cot and its worth every penny (its a Boori one that converts to a single bed so its going to get a lot of use). And you can use it for subsequent kiddies, or sell it second hand when you're done. If you don't have to be really really careful with your money, then enjoy buying what you really like

Yep, don't feel guilty. our cot, mattress and chagetbale/chest of drawers was $1200 - on sale. But I just love my boori cot, that they are Australian made, and will either be used as a single bed for Milo, or as a cot for our next bub, depending onthe timing!