Thread: Tattoos

*TamaraP* Guest

Default Tattoos

I am very keen to get a new tattoo, but was just wondering the outcomes of maybe getting one while pregnant???

No I am not pregnant but I am in the TWW and really just wondering

hey tam...good question

i suppose it is a form of blood poisining isnt it?

maybe wait hunny

Hi Tamara,

im not too sure but i would probably wait until you know for sure if you are pregnant or not. I think anything that penetrates the skin and can cause you to bleed can carry infections with it so its probably safer to wait! best to be on the safe side as you just never know!

Good luck and i hope AF DOESNT Show up for you!!!!

Dee

xoxoxo

I'd wait too. I had one done in my early 20's in a very hygenic studio but you can't risk the human error factor. Also did you know that if you have a tattoo you are banned for life from donating blood? Health professionals also can sometimes have a funny attitude when they see one on your body (it's in their face) to them a tattoo says "potential Hepatitis carrier" etc. Finally, every time I fall pregnant I find my resistance to pain drops markedly. I usually have a high pain threshold but I find that even waxing my legs is almost unbearable whilst pregnant. Finally even if you don't contract a disease at the studio there is potential for infection during the healing process. Hope I haven't been too condemning... I don't regret having mine (except when I see that my rare blood type is desperately needed by the Red Cross).

DoubleK Guest

i was actually planning to get a tattoo just before i found out i was pregnant! i was so glad i didnt get it before i found out.. i dont know any facts, but i personally would wait till after i have the baby...

gives me more time to decide what i really want too!

Rach

Isn't it only 12 months until you can give blood after a tat?

I've done it before and they asked if i'd had a tat within the last 12 months, i said no it was 2 years ago and they said that was fine.
    They screen all the blood before using it anyway.

My sis got a tat when she was a few weeks pregnant and didn't know yet. The Doc said it was fine, but I guess if you know there is a chance you may be pregnant i'd wait to be safe

I think no, more for the potential disease risk than affecting the baby. And yes Bathsheba your wrong, I have TWO tattoo's and have only been stopped from giving blood in the 12 months after I got them (but I couldnt donate then anyway due to health reasons). I would be fine to do it now!

I say wait until AFTER you know if your pregnant or not and if you are, be like me and wait til you can get a nice tattoo about baby

Hey that's good news about donating blood then! I waited for over an hour at the Red Cross here in Melbourne (in 1996) only for them to tell me at the interveiwn that because I had ticked the tattoo box (didn't say anything about 12 months) that I would be banned for life... they were quite brutal about it saying that my name would be blacklisted!!! I'd told them that it was 3 years ago and I'd since had a baby and therefore had every blood test under the sun but they weren't phased, just kept shaking her head. I almost burst into tears because it was strangely really emabrrassing Anyhow, I 'm so relieved, I'll give it all another go after I have my baby. Y'know I've always thought they would have to change the policy because sooo many people have them these days... no wonder they were running desperately short on donors!

*TamaraP* Guest

Thanks girls, well I am testing next wednesday so fingers crossed!!!

If I am not preggers, I am getting one with my friend for his birthday...he is too chicken to get one.

Bathsheba - Got me really worried about the donating blood thing. I used to regular blood donor... But I am glad that once I had all my children I can go back to giving blood.

Bathsheba, at one stage they wouldnt let me donate blood because when i was born I had a heart murmer! I said i'd never had a problem since i was a baby and it was its something me and my cousins all had, and because of something that happened over 20 years ago they wouldnt let me!! I said if i've been through 32 hours of child birth (not to mention all the other silly things i did in the teen years) that i doubt i'll die from giving a little blood! I was really mad too when they said no cause I thought if they are so low and need blood so urgently then why make it so hard????

littlerigger Guest

YEAH IT'S 12 MONTHS WITH TATTOO'S NOW (sorry about the caps. silly work program). I know they used to be a lot stricter but now with the strict testing of the blood they take, you can donate and if they detect hep they send you a letter advising you.

Excellent, that's the way i thought it always should have been You can't just trust people's (donor's) word.... besides there are so many more ways of contracting disease than they asked about. I'm A+ which is always highly in demand. I've always tested totally clear of disease but the Red Cross people made me feel like some kind of leper! Has anyone else with tattoos found this? Medical staff set eyes on it and cast glances at colleagues etc as if to say "hey, tat here, got your gloves on?" Mine is in a private place (between my breasts... it's a crucifix) so it's only ever been DH or medical staff that have ever really seen it (I don't wear low tops)... I had it done for a spiritual reason, not as a fashion statement. But a lot of people do see a tattoo and have negative opinion of the person, but that's just been my experience.