thread: Tell me about muscle separation

Aug 2008
    Ouiinslano

Tell me about muscle separation

I just had a m/w appointment, and she said she thought she could feel a bit of softness. I was quietly unsurprised, I've had a couple of weird twinges.

Poo.

I had none last preg, not even 1cm at 1 day postnatal, so I kind of expected I'd do ok this time too. Especially since I kinda know what I'm doing with getting up, lifting etc.

Got an appointment to see a physio tomorrow, hooray for cancellations! But in the meantime, I'd really like to read others' experiences, what helped, how long it took to go back to normal, etc.

Sep 2007
    Brisbane

Mine is approaching 10 cm. I can't do sit ups for 6 months, however, I don't look horridly floppy, and the physio gave me some exercises I can do from birth so it isn't actually that dire. Does your tummy make a tent when you do a sit up? Best of luck with it xoxo

Oct 2009
    Bonbeach, Melbourne

I had a huge separation, apparently it got to 9cm but I think it was honestly more like 7 or 8cm from what I could feel. The physio will give you exercises to do, but an important one is your pelvic floor. Mine went back to about 1-2cm by 9 months PP...unfortunately but that time I was pregnant again so it's all beginning again Things like making sure you roll to your side and then sit up before getting out of bed are important too.

ETA yes, that tent! Mine made a huge one and makes a small one now. That's your guts poking through the muscles :/

Aug 2008
    Ouiinslano

I don't have a tent. But lol! And eww.

I don't do sit-ups, or sit-uppy type moves; I've been so careful not to all the way through, in fact, since pregnant with DD, I've just been really cautious! I think that's why I'm so bummed at the news.

Our couches have a pretty deep seat, I'm blaming them - I think when I've fed DD to sleepo and I heave her outta there, that's pretty bad.

Dec 2007
    Hork-Bajir Valley

i thought i had this when pg, mytummy madecan insane tent when i sat or used my tummy muscles at all!! i also blame my couch cause i did do all the right things in terms of moving.
    i just did all the things the physio sheet said and i have nothing now - maybe 1cm. im really lucky

sent via my vortex manipulator!

Jun 2009
    vic

Mines bad probably about 8cm. Was 3cm after DD and just got worse. Don't think mine will improve and I'll probably have to have surgery down the track to repair unfortunately.

Nov 2008
    in the ning nang nong

With DS1, I had a 4cm separation.

I wore tubigrip for a few weeks, did my exercises, and it knit itself back together good as new. Didn't hurt at all, Looked funny but all good.

With DS2, everything was sufficiently stretchy that I didn't have any separation

May 2008
    Melbourne, Vic

Tell me about this "tent". What exactly do you mean??

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

recti.jpg abdominis recti

May 2008
    Melbourne, Vic

Oh wow, that's pretty bad. So if my tummy makes a much gentler point in the middle... From one hip up, then down to the other, does that make sense? Is that considered a tent??

Should just ask the MW at next appointment...

Nov 2008
    in the ning nang nong

Trace a line from your solar plexus down to your belly button.

Then sit leaning back on the couch or something.

Then pull your tummy muscles in and pull yourself into a sitting position - you should be using the muscles you would be using if you were doing a sit up.

Look at the imaginary line you traced.

If you can notice the muscles there pulling up so it looks like a little hill peaking at the imaginary line then you might have muscle separation.

Normally all your muscles would contract.

If there is separation you'll have this little channel of a hill running down your middle from under your breast bone down part of your baby bump.

I hope that makes sense!