Thread: Things to help bring on labour?

Butterfly_Princess Guest

Default Things to help bring on labour?

Heya
    I was reading a magazine i was given, and it was mentioning some of the things we can do to help bring on labour.
    I was just wondering what you have all used or tried, and if they worked or not?
    Thanks

the only thing that worked for me, was the doc's mentioning induction... I relaxed and then voila! Labour!
    good luck

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

DTD, Spicy Food and a bumpy ride - in that order and yep sure enough he was born the next morning.

I should also add that I tried this with our last bub and nothing. Although I may have been trying early.

Nicki
    Last edited by three4me; March 17th, 2008 at 08:41 PM. Reason: add on

Butterfly_Princess Guest

Thanks Kelly for that

I would still like to know what worked for every one. Thanks for the replies so far.

I tried everything this time around as my hubby was going overseas 3 days after my due date...
    I tried acupuncture twice, lots of garlic (worked with DD2) chilli and spicy food, DTD, a mixture from the homeopath, long walks nothing seemed to work so i ended up giving up on all of them as nothing seemed to be working only stressing me out waiting for something to happen so i forgot all about the trying, spent the day walking around the shops without the kids then went home had a lovely bath for over an hour enjoyed a nice meal and a glass of wine then an hour after getting out of the bath my waters broke. All the things i tried may have helped but i believe as soon as i relaxed thats what did it.

Fresh pineapple juice!
    I drank some when i was 36 weeks pg not knowing it could bring on labour, my contractions started at lunchtime the next day and he was born at 8.30 that night.

I was 10 days overdue with #1 and nothing worked (even castor oil YUK!)
    But i didn't know about the pineapple juice then

Default I Swear This Works...

i heard about castor oil, was so fed up with being preg. had about 5 days to go, NOTHING at all happening so i had a couple of tablespoons of castor oil (i threw a few up but it was worth it) and within 8 hours started having contractions. now i thought it could have been coincidental but my friend was pregnant at the time and was near to her due date, i reccommended it as she waqs getting pretty fed up also. She went into labour within 5 hours...we both had very quick easy births, and if i was ever pregnant again, that will be what im doing.......

I tried so much and NOTHING worked!!!

ETA: Awww I cant believe your almost due hun, did you even know I was UTD???

I walked, not dawdling, I mean power walking. I went down to our local duck pond at about 3pm and just walked until it hurt. I lost count of how many laps I did but I went into labour a few hours later and had my bubs by 9.30 that night. Not sure if it were a coincidence. I was absolutely stoked as she was a VBAC and boy, she came quickly.
    Good luck Meg. xx

Butterfly_Princess Guest

Lins: Course i knew you were PG..i spoke to you on MSN when you first found out

Peta20: WOW caster oil..that would have been hard to stomache..

Just so you call know, im not planning on taking or doing any of this stuff (apart from RLT) unless im way overdue and its all in the clear. Im just generally interested in the things that can cause these things to come along.

Hehe sorry hun, baby brain!!! I havnt been on MSN and talked to you 4 ages so I forgot.

Nothing I tried with DD worked - she was induced when overdue and it still took close to 36 hours to get her out! I asked my OB if there was anything that did work (desperate not to have my two DDs share a birth day!) and he said nup, short of induction nothing is going to get a baby moving who is not already on their way.

I was 41 1/2 wks with my 2nd baby, my Mum was staying but only for a limited time so i decided to try the castor oil. It worked extremely well for me!!! About 2 hrs after swallowing it, which took an effort not to throw up, i started getting pains. Two hours later she was born, it was all very fast, and a bit scary lol

My doctor told me that i would probably have gone into labour naturally not long after that anyway, the oil just sped things up.

~Belinda~ Guest

EPO and fresh pineapple...

And DTD of course...

I was dilated 2cm when I went to my Monday Ob appointment but was still induced on Wednesday so am not sure whether it all helped or not but I like to think so!
    Last edited by ~Belinda~; March 18th, 2008 at 09:37 PM.