Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin K injection...

Default Vit K & Heel p.r.i.c.k.

Hey you guys have really found out heaps of info, this is what 'informed choice' is all about.
    Being informed & then choosing !! GOOD ON YOU !

I believe strongly in choice, but here are the facts from the medical viewpoint:

Konakion (Vit K )
    The facts re Vit K & how VERY RARE HDN is are VERY relevent.

A healthy term newborn who has an uncomplicated birth doesn't need artificial vitamins, if he did he'd be born with them (like ears, legs etc, we don't add them on after birth just because they weren't needed in the womb do we ?) I mean we have survived as a human species for how long ? Without this & now we suddenly need it?
    The pharmeceutical companies love us all the way to the bank !!!! How come all the homebirth babies (who rarely have Vit K) don't all get HDN, huh ? AND they are largely fully breastfed for minimum of 6 months ( yet we are told breast milk is low in Vit K).
    My children didn't have it so I walk the walk. You don't need it if your birth is normal & your infant low risk.
    That's why you are requested to consent to administration of this drug, the hospital doesn't want to be sued if there is a problem or a side-effect from it !If you consented to it you have no comeback if there are any complications.

Stick to giving babies drugs they really need, not just the "maybe's".

OK, enough of that, off the soapbox.

HEEL P.r.i..c.k or Newborn Screening Test:

Different thing altogether. This is a screeening test to eliminate cystic fibrosis, hypothyroidism & phenylketonuria as diseases your baby may suffer from. The latter 2 are treatable with medication but untreated will cause brain damage.:eek:
    CF is incurable but is managed much better if diagnosed early.
    You would NOT KNOW that you had " a family history or risk" for these diseases unless you'd had genetic testing. With CF being a recessive gene if you marry a man with the same recessive gene as you (unknowingly carry) you will have a 1 in 4 chance of having an affectd child. You'd want it diagnosed ASAP so you could start a management plan ASAP.
    The hospital is required to notify the authorities when couples decline this screening test as it has such devastating consequences if not picked up. They will follow up any couple who choose not to do it at 3 days of age & ensure that they understand how important it is & that it gets done at a later date if possible.

I have found over the years that although this is a heel bleed that if you do it whilst the baby is feeding & collect the blood very gently he will not even notice. Make sure he is well hydrated & has warm feet. Works every time & believe me I've done alot of them.
    I think this is an important test & dangerous to leave it out till later as the brain damage will already have occurred in the very early weeks. You aren't giving him a drug, you are just collecting a small amount of blood and you can ask the staff to do it whilst you are feeding if they don't offer to.

Regards Brenda.

About the screening test - can you not use cord blood for this? I don't mind a non-drug thing, but I'd have thought that cord blood would be just as "good", especially as they use that to check the blood group anyway.

Good question Ryn,
    The reason that the blood cannot be used from the cord for the screening test is that phenylketonuria (one of the disorders tested for) is a metabolic disorder that is only detectable once the baby has begun to digest milk. This is why the test isn't done immediately therefore the cord blood can't be used.

Like Brenda - I would strongly recommend this test is taken for your baby. As Brenda says no family history isn't a reason not to have it.
    Thankyou Brenda for your comments and expertise.

My children have had the Vit K injection and this baby will be no different.
    For me, I figure it is better to be safe than sorry. I won't eat certain foods because of the "What if" factor.
    Thats just my opinion and I totally respect and understand why some people chose not to have this injection given to their babies.

This baby will have the heel ***** test done and also have the Vit K injection.
    Kimberley and Alex both had it done.

I breastfed my babies while they got the heel ***** test done and I really think that it reduced the trauma for them. Niether of them cried while it was done although Imran did chomp my boob extra hard at one point.

I breastfed Jovie during the heal pric.k test & she was more upset about being naked for the paediatrician check than anything. We have cystic fibrosis and other genetic diseases in my family so we have a need to make sure that our babies are okay. I am a carrier for CF and although we don't know if DH is or not, we know that it means our children have a chance of having it. Matilda did not, but that doesn't mean Jovie will not have CF.

Neither Matilda nor Jovie had the Hep B vaccination at birth. We chose to delay that immunisation for them. Both have had oral Vitamen K for the first two doses but neither will have the last dose...

We made our decisions according to research. And like others have said, its all about making an informed decision & you having the choice. No one is a better parent or more "caring" of their child if it is an informed decision.

You can start it at 2months, we did with Matilda but haven't decided with Jovie yet. Still debating with DH.

Man, I didn't realise HOW much I didn't know about these things. I assume that Joshua had these things - I don't recall being asked about them or just assuming that everything they were doing was "normal" and "required" IYKWIM? With immunisation I would seriously reconsider if there was a violent reaction also. Joshua was fine with them so I had all his done. He was b/f and so will this one which helps anyway. It's such a hard and touchy subject sometimes cos I have seen how sick a child can get and come so close to dying from chicken pox that I don't think I could not immunise at least the first time and re-evaluate if there was a severe/violent reaction.

PS...Shannon, are you having bubs at Caboolture Hospital?? I've just transferred there from RWH cos we're moving to Burpengary next week...might have to catch up for a coffee

Ozzie,
    Are you aware that there is a midwifery led programme at Caboolture. I think it's called "Caring Hands". I have heard really good reports...

Many women don't ask questions of their first birth/baby and the tests etc. What is good is that you are asking them now. You may still make the same choices but they will be will all the info at hand. Good luck on the journey - it can sometimes be confusing...

Deb, I wasn't aware until I actually came across it here on BB - dach and someone else mentioned it and said it was really good. I am not share caring and will be speaking to them more about the programme when I go there in 2 weeks...got in pretty fast I only called them this morning

I think that we just "assume" that all is necessary with first bub huh. We trust what we are told as if it's gospel sometimes. Also there wasn't the whole internet thing back then...lol how old do I sound!! I was only 21!!! I find BB wonderful for discussing these things and getting different perspectives which we may not have thought about ourselves.

I agree, Cass - my DH takes everything the midwives say as gospel, even though I've seen 5 different midwives now and they've all said different things!

Thanks for the info, Deb: I just had a quick wondering there. I don't mind blood tests for the baby at all, just to inject foreign matter... only if necessary. Like the Anti-D: I make sure I check my blood first to see if I need it. If I don't, I'm not having it. I don't like foreign matter in my body! If injections are needed then they're needed, but if they're not I'm not having them. Does that make sense? I'll not refuse the vit K if we end up needing intervention, but will do for a "normal" birth. I'll be in the birth centre a couple of days, so if any blood/bruising appears we can give the injection then.

I suppose that I'm not a "good" patient, having studied medical things at Uni! I do want to know the whys and wherefores of everything people want to do to me and the baby, usually in intense detail. Not that other parents don't, but the midwives are surprised at the amount of info I ask for (that is, I ask for some info rather than just sitting back and accepting), so I'm guessing I'm an oddity around here!

Ryn,
    Wanting to know the why's and wherefores I think makes you a WONDERFUL patient. Oh for a world full of people who question, research and demand the BEST treatment!!! You keep on doing it Ryn!

Ryn, it's only good if you have a doc who bothers to take the time to actually answer and help you understand huh!

Ok, so whilst on these questions and topics of our bubs early after birth...what about the vernix?? Is there a reason they wash it off? I know it is a question on the birthplan. I know it's to protect bubs in the belly and amniotic fluid.

yup no need to wash it off - it protects their skin

So, why do they wash it off unless you ask them not too if it's good for the baby's skin?? Seems so stupid!

It's to "waterproof" the baby, like wearing a little mackintosh. You know how wrinkly your skin gets in the bath after a couple of hours? Imagine being in nice warm fluid for nine months and how you'd look then! It is very needed in the womb, but not really needed once the baby is outside. You'll have to wash it off sometime, and whilst you don't need to do it right away, it's nicer to cuddle a clean baby the day afterwards. Plus it saves changing the baby's bedding the next day for the staff - I think the bedding thing may be a major reason.

Animals clean their children, licking the vernix off, straight after birth, so there may well be a scientific reason too.

Deb - I wish my midwives thought like you! They all think I'm a bit mad for asking "why" to thinks like vitamin K injections and asking about what I've heard. They much prefer it when people accept what they say. I did have some who weren't happy AT ALL with me (including the first two that DH has seen), so now he thinks I'm wrong for researching things too. Luckily the third midwife DH saw was happy to answer questions and seemed to appreciate the thoughts we were having! We're seeing her/a birth centre midwife again next Sunday, so I'll save my questions for her!

Vitamin K, as we all know is given to increase the bloods ability to clot. One area that has not been mentioned much in this discussion is the problems that can be caused if blood clots too much. Should this happen one, some or all of the following problems could occur.

Deep Venus thrombosis. This is a blood clot in one or more of your veins. Parts of this clot can then break off and travel to your lungs causing pulmonary embolism, or to your brain causing a stroke.

Pulmonary Embolism. A blood clot in your lung preventing oxygen getting to the rest of your body and often leading to death.

Stroke. In medical terms referred to as a Cerebral Vascular Accident. (CVA). This can cause anything form some temporary weakness of one side of your body to a permanent disability or even death.

Keep asking questions. If the professionals do no give you the answers than ask them again. It is only possible to make informed decisions if you know all the facts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast