Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Aerobics

Thumbs up Water Aerobics

Has anyone done this?

My Ob has recommended it from 12 weeks onwards.

Is it strenuous or easy on the joints?

I'm assuming you OB meant water aerobics specifically aimed at pg women?
    Its great, not at all strenuous, very gentle. They are supposed to be great for after you have the baby too, but I never found the time to go afterwards.

I did watermums classes from about 14 weeks, they were run by a female physio, in the hydropool at the local aquatic centre.

Yeah Fletch and i did Aquanatal classes 1-2 times a week in a heated pool. It was fabulous....got a good work out but wasn't sore the next day. Could explain why Ella and Zane are such water babies I'd definately recommend it....it's one of the things i'm looking forward to the most in pg!

Hi Danni

I have done water aerobics in the past (not pregnant though). It's a really lovely exercise...not too strenuous at all...

One thing you might want to consider, if you're going to a general class, is telling the instructor that you are pregnant (sometimes they ask at beginning of classes anyway)...that way, they are well aware of your requirements and will offer you alternatives if you need them...

Have fun!

My friend and I did aqua all through our pregnancy. We did a normal class, but as everyone was over about 60, it was like a pregnancy class!! hee hee. We just told the teacher and she'd ask us how we were feeling, but generally we did everything except the tummy stuff, which is when we'd just splash around and chat and pretend we were being really healthy by doing a water aerobics class!! xo

mizzsocial Guest

I wanted to do this when i was preggo!! Just didnt have the time!
    They do it in bacchus marsh yeh??

yes they have it at bacchus marsh. I dont want to go alone though?

Debbie Lee Guest

I reckon it'd be great, Danni!
    I've only ever done it not pregnant but I could see how it would be magnificent with a preggy belly. As it is, swimming feels soooo nice because of the buoyancy (sp?). Give it a go, I reckon!

Percy Guest

I do aqua aerobics for pregnant women and I also do a pregnancy yoga class too. HIghly recommend both.

The yoga class is great because you learn all sorts of breathing techniques to help with labour and also other thinsg like positions to help turn a breech baby, positions to help with heartburn and generally its just a time for me to switch off and relax and connect with the baby. I love it!!!

I did my first Aqua Natal class last week and loved it. Our's is run buy a physio as well so you get quite alot back from Private health cover if you have it. I was surprised that I felt like I had a good work out but with no soreness at all. My lower back that was sore felt fantastic the next day as we did lots of stretching.

The warm hydrotherapy pool was so nice and relaxing and we all chatted in a circle at the end whilst stretching and asked the physio any questions. I can highly recommend them.

Fletch did a pregnancy one when pregnant with Zane & I'm pretty sure she loved it.

whooo hoooo 4 weeks and I can go

Im really looking forward to it....I wish I had a preg buddy to come with me though

I did water aerobics up until the week Jasmyn was born, they asked me to stop coming in case I went into labour during the class! I also Did yoga, and have continued it since. I am in a stretch and relax class during pregnancy as it is close by and he just alters the moves for me a bit. I would love to do aqua again, as I have back problems and it helped to relieve the pain a lot.

Highly recommend it!

Sorry to butt into your thread Danni but wanted to ask Fletch and Rae a quick question - did you guys do your classes at Ripples??

I'm not prg at the moment but hoping to be soon and love the sound of this!

mum5boys Guest

Whereabouts do they have these classes in Melbourne?
    Are they held at your local swimming centre?
    I would love to do it, sounds very relaxing and fun.
    Michelle

Thanks Fletch!

fletch: they wont take you until you are 12 weeks

Sorry - i can't remember the name of it either - but still have the phone no if anyone is interested. Can't wait for you to have your bun in the oven now Fletch so we can begin again!!!!!! PMSL - gee it was a hoot - bobbing around with our bellies
    Danni - you'll love it! Maybe there are other bb girls that live close who are pg and would go with you. There was even one girl in our class who just bought a non-preg friend along with her for company (and exercise)- so maybe that's an option too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast