Thread: Weird things that I wish I had known earlier

Default Weird things that I wish I had known earlier

Pregnancy Ailments and how to help them.

While at my usual cafe today the new girl asked me how I was feeling with the pregnancy I said my usual yeah good - not much of a conversationalist am I. She asked me if I was suffering from heartburn and I replied yeah quite badly. What she told me next I almost wet myself laughing at.

Her: ' I suffered from very bad heart burn with my 2 boys'
    Me: 'Were they born with a lot of hair?'
    Her: ' Yeah they were. What are you using for your heartburn'
    Me: 'At home Mylana, at work Quikeze'
    Her: 'Try two fruit tingles, it was the ONLY thing that worked for me and it has the added bonus of not being full of god knows what so you know they aren't harmful to the baby because they are just lollies'

Its one of those things I just wish I had known earlier, I have had nights where a glass of milk wont work, mylanta wont work, quikeze wont work but I tell you Fruit tingles are doing the job. They make me a bit burpy but at least I dont feel like my throat and chest is on fire.

My only problem now is I can't stop eating them mmmmmmm yummy.

Just wanted to see if any one else had weird and wonderful remedies that no one else would believe.

Yep Fruit Tingles have been a life saver for me as well I thought it sounded bizarre, but they sooo work. I also found that there are new berry flavoured ones which are soo yummy.

ohhh im writing that on the shopping list now!!

a breath freshener to keep away the nausea.....

1 drop of peppermint oil in 50mls of purified water, in a spray bottle (shaken up)

one spray in the mouth and you feel nice and fresh, sick feeling gone, no sugar or nasty aspartame!

ooooh, thanks for the tip. I usually use Rennie, but the taste is very chalky. I am def. going to get fruit tingles. They were my fav. as a child.

Kitten - Thats another one I agree with, really anything that is minty flavoured helps keep nausea at bay. I didn't know this in my first trimester with the morning sickness but I often get nausea now not quite the same as earlier on but now I find that a mint really settles my belly!!!

For those of you who are gaggers (my gagging was TERRIBLE in first tri), try holding a pot of Vicks Vaporub under your nose. Blocks out all other smells and something about the menthol seemed to calm my gagging a little. When you are going out, smear a bit under your nose.

amber,
    I was told and have read that vics v rub is not good for m/c. Can increase the chances. Great idea but I think I would be giving it a miss if I had previou m/c.

I managed to eat my way through a pack a day a few weeks ago... the heartburn has settled down now but NOTHING worked like Fruit Tingles (and they were much yummier too!).

One of my Bellyuddies swears by chocolate as her morning sickness remedy (which I have to agree does actually work ... for me its rich dark chocolate and for some reason I am fine all day!).

I have had really bad heartburn and I am going to buy some fruit tingles tomorrow! I wish i'd known this months ago! Nothing has really helped, and it can be quite painful... I am so glad I found this thread!! Surfing bellybelly on a Sat night really pays off!!!

hi well I never hear this but I had horrible horrible heartbeat when preg with Noah so if it happens next time I will certainly be trying the fruit tingles!!

I can vouch for chocolate as a m/s remedy. I have a bit with a cup of tea first thing and the half an hour later I'm ready for a decent brekkie

Something else I found to help with a tummy ache / nausea is Licorish (sp??). I heard somewhere that you need to limit your intake though while pg.

I ate a stick just last night when I had bad reflux (I was waking up choking on what was coming back up Gross I know) and it gave me a horrible stomach ache, within a couple of mins I was feeling fine and my belly ache had gone.

I think aniseed has a numbing/soothing property in it naturally- but I could be totally wrong

Fruit tingles also work for nausea, not just heartburn!

Fruit tingles are working for me since buying some on Sunday... but maybe it is a placebo effect, either way its a yummy treat!

Fruit tingles. Hmmm. FRUIT TINGLES!!!!!!!!!! I bought myself a bag of the little rolls today. I doubt whether the bag will last the day! I can't stop eating them! They make me feel good, but I have to keep eating them.
    I swear, all I am eating in the pg, is junk food. Whilst I can afford to put on weight, I somehow doubt that it is doing anything for me nutritionally.
    However, I will keep eating the fruit tingles, until there are none left!

URGH! Now I feel sick from eating too many fruit tingles!
    Last edited by Netix; May 23rd, 2008 at 12:02 PM.

I found chewing the green extra chewing gum helped to settled my tummy - only problem now is I can't stop chewing it - always have to have a packet wherever I am!!

But the other bonus is that "excess consumption may have a laxative effect" - so I haven't experienced any constipation either!!