Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should I do?

Question What should I do?

Well we are going up to the country for Xmas lunch with DH's family and my MIL just kindly informed me that she is cooking the roast meats the day before, and we are eating them cold. She is also buying the roast chickens the day before too.

Normally I wouldnt have a huge problem with this but now I do.

What do I do? Aside from not going

Danni, perhaps you could get your meat and heat it up in the oven prior to eating it ??

Or, you could just not go

Maybe you could take some fresh meat with you and cook it when you get there? That way you're sure that there won't be any issues. Does your MIL understand about listeria?

Depends how much your DH wants to go as to whether it's going to upset everyone if you don't show up... Christmas can be such a difficult time as far as families go! Good luck

Danni, Did you explain to MIL that you can't eat the meats cold?? Maybe just tell her surely she will heat the meat up for you so you have something to eat!! And if she won't don't go

I'd asked her if she can re-heat yours in the oven if not then say you won't be going.

I'd make sure she knows that you can't have the meat cold - I've had the same problem, and know how bad you feel saying 'I can't have that!' - but you have to do what's right for you and your baby! Or you could skip the meat altogether and just have bread, salad and roast vegies!

Why don't you offer to look after the roasting of a chook or turkey? Then you're helping her and also getting healthy food.

Good point Danni - I hadn't thought that far ahead!!! :eek:

Let me know what you decide and that might help me out too! LOL

Celsie. xoxox

This is also my problem Danni............

i would love to offer to cook it myself but the problem is we are going to his Nannas house which is a 3.5 hour drive from here and we wont be there until right on lunch time

Get your DH to deal with her, it's his mother or I'd just tell her that you can't eat it and chuck a hissy fit if she tries to convince you. Use the "obviously you don't care about my baby, but I do" line to make her feel bad and then say you aren't going.

damn it, xmas at my inlaws is all hot and cooked... wish i had this excuse... MMMM xmas day at the retirement village.39 weeks pregnant, i cant wait....

Danni..Dont know what your relationship is like with your MIL, but has she just arranged dinner without thinking about things you cant eat, I guess it would have been a long time since MIL was pregnant. And back then things were probably a lot different. Have you spoke to her about it?

Or is she very well informed and doing this to make life diffcult?

You could take a frozen dinner meal in an esky and heat it up when you get there ROFL 8 mins and your meal is all ready.

Danni,are there going to be other foods there?
    Maybe you could eat something else *fresh* before you go and then you wont have to eat so much while you are there. But maybe that might look rude..
    Apart from telling her you shouldnt be eating cold meat and seeing what she says/does...
    or just reheating the meat when you get there I cant really offer any other suggestions sorry.

Ok, I'm going to be the dissenting voice here and say, I'd just eat what she'd cooked the day before. Check that it comes out of the fridge cold right before you eat, and that it looks fresh, and I'd be tucking in and enjoying the occasion. Because you know for sure the food was prepared within the previous 24 hours (which is not something you can take for granted at a retail outlet or restaurant) I think that makes all the difference.

I did my first pregnancy only 10 years ago and the word (waaaay back then) was to exercise commonsense.

Debbie Lee Guest

Yeah... I agree with Marydean, Danni. I wouldn't worry about it. If it's been refridgerated, it'll be fine. It's only if it's sitting out at room temperature for ages.

Otherwise just zap it in the microwave

Danni I am having a cold meat lunch for Xmas which is being cooked the day before also on two seperate occassions. As Mary-Anne and Debbie Lee said and I agree with as long as it is not older than 24hrs, fridgerated and looks and smells fresh there is no problem eating it.

If you are worried, which is very very understable, have a vegetarian lunch or zap it in the mircowave.

Enjoy your lunch either way.

Must admit, if I trusted the source of the meat I'd eat it - but then, I'm a pescetarian so don't have that problem with Christmas meats! MiL always did hot meat for lunch and the same meat cold for tea - I just had vege turkey (yes, it is as appetising as it sounds). Now we're being kicked out after lunch so don't have to worry.

BTW, Danni, love the bump pic... yours is still bigger than mine, not fair!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast