Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When do stretch marks happen?

Default When do stretch marks happen?

just want to get an idea of if and when you got stretch marks?

i know it is different for everyone. i am now almost 27 weeks, and havent got any, but is there any way of telling if they are about to happen?

i have been using palmers stretch mark cream every day, and although my tummy feels tight, it still feels like it has some more stretch in the skin yet,

just want to prepare myself.

also, do they all seem to happen at once? or will there be one one day and then another later?

Linda

oops - just realised the title says 'she' do stretch marks happen.

meant to put 'when do ...'

pg brain...

Linda

Some people get stretch marks just from putting on a little weight. Unfortunately once you have them, they're there to stay (so I've read... coz it's like scar tissue).

I guess the best thing to do is use creams like you are to prevent them.

I never got them at all in my first pregnancy, and just got a few small ones around my hips from about 30wks in my 2nd pregnancy.

Love

I had some before I was pregnant and was already using cream to minimise them. So far there isn't any noticable increase in size or number. Is still very early days yet though.

Stretch marks are weird. I didn't get any during pregnancy, although have had them on my boobs for years. My theory is that if you have never put on weight, and you get preg you're more likely to get them. Whereas if your weight fluctuated say during your teens or early 20's, you're less likely as your skin has stretched before. Now this could be the most ridiculous theory ever, but that's what I think!!

mooshie Guest

hi there

when i was pg with first i did not get any stretch marks until i woke up one day at around 37 weeks and there they were about as big as my hand on the right hand side arhhh thought i was going to get away with it. with #2 i got HEAPS and #3 no new ones, so my ds #2 did the damage - they have faded heaps though.

i use the body shop body butter on my bump to try and prevent them but alas

Kirsty77 Guest

I got stretch marks from 4-5 months as my belly started to expand.They are quite high up above my belly button, but theres only like 3 of them.Then I had no more until about 29 weeks and they came in below my belly button on either side.I've just noticed over the last week that there are more below my belly button and I'm now 33 weeks nearly 34.I've been using cream, but my belly is soooo tight I can feel it stretching below my belly button!I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones!

Melody Guest

This is sooooo ironic! Mooshie, I feel your pain!

Linda I am 36/37 weeks (depending on who you speak too) & have been 'creaming myself' (boobs, tummy, bum & upper thighs) twice a day since about a month before i was pregnant & I haven't had one single stretch mark...... until thismorning =;

I literally went to bed with none & woke up with about 4 on one side of my belly button & two on the other. In addition to creaming I have put my weight on gradually so this proves to me, once & for all, that they are inevitable.

I am a bit shocked really.... I was sure I would get away with it ](*,)
    Alas, in the scheme of things it is pretty insignificant I suppose. My main fear at this point is will I wake up tomorow with double the amount & then have it increase for for the rest of my pregnancy? Anything to offer on this ladies?

Awwwwww Mel...i bet you were thinking being on the home run they werent going to come... #-o

Linda with my first I had been staying at Rotnest island..on 2 weeks holiday and had no access to body mirror so got the shock of my life when i got home and discovered that at 27 weeks i had all these deep purplish stretch marks. I guess it really depends on the individual. I know this time around i have none...probably cos my tummys already been stretched with previous pregnancies.

Jo

Melinda Guest

I got them, but I can't remember when LOL!!! I'm really not sure at what point in my PG they appeared.

I have to say though, I had more after Jacob was born thanks to the caesarean!!!

I went through my pregnancy without getting one stretch mark but then after the birth of Hendrix i got one near my pants line on my right hand side and it was definately not there before my tummy went soft!! Its kinda funny but im quite fond of it as its a reminder of the magic of what our bodies can do. It is only small though and my doctor told me it will fade. I did use Clairns oil throughout preg on my whole tummy area and boobs but i have heard that if your genetically predisposed that nothing will stop you from getting them and i think 80% of women.

paradise lost Guest

I just wanted to say that because i gained a lot of weight suddenly (about 40lbs in 4 months) when i was nursing my mum when i was 18 (due to comfort eating) i already HAVE stretch marks on my upper arms, belly, hips and lower back. My boobs went from 34A (when i was 11) to 36DD (when i was 12), so they already took a pounding! They faded to silver within about 6 months and now you can feel them, rather than see them. THe ones on my arms used to bother me and put me off going sleeveless, but the rest just don;t bother me anymore. I look at them as war scars from a tough time, and am proud of them.

In addition, i am SO not bothered about getting more during pregnancy! I mean, i already have them, i know they will fade, and so long as after a few months i get my general "shape" back, i don't care about my skin. I am so pale the silver hardly shows anyway.

My mum and sister both had crepe skin too, so i know i'm in for it.

My main concern is that becasue i am overweight, i won;t look pregnant until 8 months, just fat....LOL

H

Sal Guest

Thanks for sharing all your 'war' stories, girls, makes me feel better! I get a bit annoyed when this topic comes up and someone posts saying "I used such-and-such product" and didn't get any stretchmarks...they should instead be saying "I am just so lucky that I am not one of the 80% of women that get stretchmarks".

Well, I am 14 and bit weeks in, and I'm bracing myself for inevitable stretchmarks. It is really interesting to hear how early they can come, I always thought they'd sneak up on you after 30w but now I can be prepared for them to be earlier.

I think I started getting my stretchmarks from about 27 weeks pg. I got HEAPS of them on my belly, but not really anywhere else. I doubt I would have gotten so many if I hadn't put on so much weight (40kg) in my pg.

My midwife told me that the tendancy to stractmarks is genetic through your mum, so if your mum got them chances are you will too no matter WHAT you try to do to prevent them. My mum didn't get them and I still use body shop cocoa butter every morning just in case!! None yet...

Just realised how weirdly I spelt stretchmarks then... cold fingers!!

thanks everyone.

i will keep using the cream and hope for the best. i actually already have some on my BBs and thighs, from putting on weight pretty quickly as a teenager.

i think my mum got them too, so i guess it is inevitable, but will do my very best to minimise the damage!!

Linda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast