Thread: Why would they scan my ovaries?

Default Why would they scan my ovaries?

I had my 12 week NT scan today. Everything is just lovely But she scanned my ovaries & took measurements. I have never had that before. Any idea why she would have?

In all of my scans they have checked my ovaries and measured them, not sure why.

Yes I've had mine scanned and measured at all my pregnancy scans. I guess they just need to take a look around and make sure everything is in order in the pelvis generally while they're there.

They scanned the ovaries at my 12 week scan - I had a slight cyst on one that they wanted to measure in case it became a problem later in the pg. Most of my friends have had this done also - cyst or no cyst.

I thought it was standard... maybe not??

I had mine scanned and have a cyst - which is exactly why they check. It's just to make sure the ovaries haven't been impacted by the surge in hormones as I understand it - because of course if there is a problem, it could impact the pregnancy. Hope this helps

I had mine scanned when pg with DD. I wouldn't have known though, until my ob appt where he complimented my 'beautiful ovaries'. So it seems beauty truly is within for some people!

they also scan to check which side egg popped from, cysts swelling etc

They scanned my ovaries at the 12 weeks scan too. She told me I fell pregnant from the right ovary

I've had mine scanned with all my pregnancies too. I thought it was just to check that they were the right size and in early pregnancy, I thought that the nutrients for the baby came from where the egg was released (before the placenta was formed) though I could be wrong because I don't understand it a great deal but I assumed that was part of why they do a scan of the ovaries to check that everything has functioned normally. Also because the ovary that provides the nutrients tends to swell a bit so they keep an eye on it's size.

I really don't know though that is all stuff I have assumed.

Congratulations on the rest of your scan going well. Glad to hear that you are growing a healthy bub

ahh ok, Maybe I have just never noticed them do it? Interesting about it being the ovary that nourishes the bub before the placenta takes over. I have never heard that, must go google that one .

I have been studying the scan too. Pretty sure I am having another Boy.

i've had mine scanned and measured at every scan in both this and last pregnancy. preg #1 was too long ago to remember! LOL

The corpus luteum on the ovary (the ruptured follicle the egg came from) produces the progesterone bub needs until the placenta takes over.

Quote Originally Posted by juniper76 View Post
    The corpus luteum on the ovary (the ruptured follicle the egg came from) produces the progesterone bub needs until the placenta takes over.
    :yeahthat: lol

Yes, they told me bub came from left ovary.

I think the progesterone from the ovaries is what makes some of us sick??? I have been feeling better since 12 ish weeks when the placenta formed.

They always have with mine. I think to check for cysts and things. Was picked up i had one on one of my overies.