Thread: Zantac anyone???

Billy Ocean Guest

Default Zantac anyone???

Hi all,

I just went to the chemist looking for something for my heartburn. I picked up the TUMS which I thought were ok then he said they may cause constipation and suggested Zantac. I've just come home (in 42 degree heat I might add!!!), opened the pack and the leaflet says that you should NOT take it if you are pregnant, thinking of becoming pregnant, or breastfeeding!

I called the pharmacy (not my usual one) and he said, "oh, it's a category C1 and that means women have taken it without problems". But why would it say that under the heading "WHEN YOU MUST NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION"? He said, "oh, you can bring it back if you like". Too bad they were closing in 2 minutes, it's NYE and I need it NOW! Idiot. I'm furious.

So, has anyone else taken this? Man, I'm so annoyed!!!

Kate
    x

Nope I haven't taken it, but found fruit tingles to be the best for heartburn.
    Good luck it's just awful isn't it?

yes fruit tingles or fruit saline worked well for me too,or glass of milk.

I had really bad heartburn with my DD, almost to the point of tears sometimes, I was eating at least a roll of milanta or quickeze a day and my DR told me zantac was ok, because the heartburn was so bad. Thankfully (so far) I haven't had it too badly yet with this pg. If you need it now, I would probably take one or half of one and get something else tomorrow or the next day. Often on Public Hols, 7-11's are open and sell milanta or something similar. I hope it isn't too bad and that it gets better. I can sympathise.

Billy Ocean Guest

Yep, I'm over it waking me up!

I've been having milk before bed the last few nights and it's a little better but still not great. Fruit tingles hey? That's interesting!

Thanks girls and have a great NYE!

Billy Ocean Guest

ps. Thanks Kel. By the way, Lily is the name I have picked for a girl, should I have one. I love it.

I have been suffering with accute heartburn for quite a few weeks now and my Obstetrician recommended Zantac!! I have been taking one every night before I go to bed!! He told me it is fine!! Too late if not, have been taking them for a while now.

i took zantac also, it was prescribed for me by my GP, i took it from about 23 weeks. You should be fine. My midwife also told me i could have it. Good luck.

fruit tingles worked for me!

Billy Ocean Guest

Thanks heaps everyone. I took one last night and it was heavenly not to be woken up with heartburn!

I was having the quick eze chewy ones till I got gestational diabetes then I had to find a sugar free alternative (plus the quick eze weren't strong enough) I ended up with gavascon chewable tablets eww they're gross but they do the trick apparently it's safe to take while pg

I have had really bad acid reflux since about week 20. OB prescribed Zantac which I took only in extreme cases. It is now so bad that I can't lay down with out it killing me - I take Zantac every night and make do with cheqing on Rennies if it gets too bad during the day.