Thread: food, food glorious food!

Default food, food glorious food!

Hi,
    just wondering what everyone is eating at the mo?? I'm currently right at the beginning of my pregnancy, and my nausea kicked in 3 days ago. I've been lucky enough not to throw up, just virtually constant nausea.

I know I need to eat as well as possible...but thought I'd ask what people are consuming and enjoying. I think I need some ideas. I'm eating special K for brekky (which I don't like but it's a fairly healthy cereal), fruit, soup, and normal dinners. I had quite a desire for rocky road icecream last night...DH and I went to get some from the petrol station...with our pjs under our clothes . .... well I was desperate.

Hi I thought I would reply as we are about the same length along. I have m/s nearly constantly now, worse the afternoon and evening though. No vomiting so thankful for that. In the morning all I can seem to handle is tomato on toast, can't seem to stomach milk first thing which is very unlike me... I have been trying to snack all day, on nuts, pepitas, trying to stay a bit healthy but find its better to keep a full rather than empty stomach. Tonight we were a bit late with dinner and I was really hungry and feeling sick and now even though I have eaten I still feel sick, it's like once it starts you can't get rid of it.
    With my first pregnancy I just remember eating dry saladas for the first four months - the only way I could stop feeling ill but luckily this time I can stomach more than salty carbs!

Everyone is so different so just experiment and see how you go, would love any suggestions back!

I would advise you to up your fibre intake All-bran has become a dull, yet essential staple in my diet.
    But otherwise, maybe don't ask me, I just eat pretty much whatever I feel like.

OMG you're pregnant?!?! Congratulations!!

I was mad for Special K too. So I healthed it up by swapping to a mix of rice and wheat bran flakes from a health food store, processed bran, with sultanas, chopped banana, and on a special occasion, honey roasted macadamias.

Nothing wrong with keping it simple, but try and get your vegies in wherever you can. For me it was home made baked beans, or avocado on toast, and blended vegie soups.

Porridge did it for me in the mornings..... although, I'd often lose it walking to work - had a wee old lady rubbing my back for me one morning - for shame!
    I really loved eating bread - with butter and raspberry jam. And strawberry milk.

That was about all i could keep down in the first trimester!

Sorry, that was no help at all - but often you just have to eat what you can keep down and if Rocky road icecream is what's doing it for you, then go for it!!

Sue x

I'm also eating lots of bread, which is not normaly in my diet. Mostly cheese sandwitches for me!
    Oh and vegemite. Plus I'm really enjoying fruit and vegies. Nuts and dry biscuits. And hot chips and frosty fruits!!
    In other words I'm eating everything! LOL. I can't seem to go more than 2 hrs without eating or I feel sick, but then most times I eat I feel sick anyway so I can't win!

Great subject BTW, we can all get some good tips!

Hi,

I had pretty bad MS first trimester (and vomiting up to 3x a day ) I think all I managed to eat for a month was bread rolls with cottage cheese, watermalon and vanilla ice-cream. My doctor said not to worry and to eat whatever I could. Apparently the yolk sac provides most of your baby's nourishment until the placenta takes over near the second trimester.

I knew that I'd turned a corner with the MS (although at nearly 15 weeks I still get nauseas if I get hungry and during the evenings) when I actually felt like eating a salad again.

Anyway, eat what you can, drink as much as you can and don't worry about it. It's much easier to eat healthy when you don't feel sick all the time.

Congratulations
    Maggie

Thank you lovely ladies for you replies. Got some good ideas there....bought some All-bran will see how that goes. As I mentioned in another thread, it's extremely windy over our way. My diet's not changed particularly but I swear it is not pleasant!!! Lucky for me DH has a terrible sense of smell. If I had a competition with my dog...I would win hands down.

Well I'm still lucky that although the nausea is pretty constant all day, I'm not physically sick. I've developed a penchant for fruit - unusual for me! Devoured a naval orange like it was the last one on earth, and 2 homegrown passionfruit in about 2 minutes. Finding sweet stuff REALLY sweet - yucky, and I normally have a sweet tooth. I'm thinking eggs and soldiers is a good brekky, the egg is a super food I think.

Loving my sparkling mineral water from Aldi - nice and cheap at 69c/bottle. All this talk of food, I think I need dinner. Adios x

I totally went off eggs when I was pregnant. Even thinking about them had me running to the toilet. After I had missy moo, the first thing I wanted was eggs benedict!!

Hehe.
    S X

I know this is an old thread now, but it's interesting to read.

I am usually a chocoholic and now don't want any chocolate. That's the weirdest thing for me.

Instead I am craving savoury things, cheese toasties, pies, chips etc. I am trying to limit the junk stuff though, and just have lots of crackers with vegemite etc.

I havent thrown up but feel queasy on and off, to varying to degrees and some foods really make me feel off, even the thought of them.

I too love and crave fresh fruit at the moment. It's the first thing I want to eat in the morning.

Possums, I lived off fruit salad and icecream in the last few weeks of my pregnancy. DH also joked that I would give birth to a peach because I ate so many of them

ha...yes, i love peaches and nectarines at the moment :-)