Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pregnancy AFter Long Term TTC Chatter - May/June 2005

belmarks Guest

goodness Tracey, that's very extreme of your friend!! Thankfully she is over the PND now.

Yeah, I started a birth plan, but ended up just asking the doctor and the hospital what their practices were in relation to certain things, and most of the things I wanted were standard, and the others were by choice, so I will inform my husband what I want, (we have already discussed this anyway) and he will relay my thoughts if Im not able to. Im pretty much open to just about anything, and I think that is the best possible way to approach it, because as we all know, our babies will throw us a curve ball and do what they will anyway, you can't predict what's going to happen.

Sal, my friend in QLD is going public and she has private cover, I don't think there is much of a difference really, just that you might have to share a room with others? Big deal hey!! There are pros and cons for both, like you said, no bills and no up front costs. I am going private, and Im happy with that. Its all about personal choice I reckon!!

Sal Guest

Hi Shannon, thanks for the tip - I'll just try him out!

belmarks Guest

Hey Tiff, I just heard along the grapevine that you went to the same IVF clinic as me Hunter IVF. How did you find them? Which dr were you seeing Hedges or Raymond??

tiggy Guest

Hey Belinda,

Yep but this was a two month off clomid conception (a bit like Sal). I see Dr Raymond, in fact will see him up until I need to book into hospital as he doesn't do obstets anymore. How about you?

Sal, if you are wanting to do hypnobirthing then I would encourage you to go through public, preferably with a midwives team. If your local hospital has a community midwife programme all the better. I have used all sorts of antenatal care and midwives were definately the way to go! (not biased at all being a midwife hehe).

I used hypnobirthing for William and I am also certified to practice although I haven't yet, my midwifey friends are trying to talk me into teaching five ladies at the moment, it's all a bit daunting. It's really popular where I work, people are coming up from Sydney to access hypnobirthing midwives. I learnt from Peter Jackson, he is the best!

Hello Lovelies,

Sal - really hope you get to have the birth of your choice but being the down to earth darling that you are, I know you'll be able to handle whatever comes your way.

Tiff - I imagine you'd be a fantastic midwife. If I was pg, I'd want you to take care of me!

Barley - I'm glad your friend got over her PND but it sounds like it's changed her permanently, doesn't it?

Bel - sounds like you are ready for anything which is a good way to be. Best of luck!

Shannon - I'm only just remembering I read on here somewhere before that you had lived in Queensland. I was born there but have lived in Melbourne now for 11 years. I can't believe it's been that long! The last place I lived in Brisbane was at Annerley, just a few streets away from the Princess Alexandra Hospital.

Take care ladies.

Mel

Sal Guest

Tiff, thanks! I really needed to hear from someone 'in the know' about going public with a midwife team. Phew...it's what I thought all along but I keep getting pushed into the OBS/private direction. I am going to call Logan hospital next week and if there is a midwife team there, speak to them about what I need to do.

Wow, I didn't know you were certified to teach hypnobirthing! If I lived near you, I'd be begging you to teach me, too. As I'm nowhere near Sydney, I am tossing up whether to find a practitioner, or else buy the CDs and DVDs kit from the US and do it myself. Can I have your opinion - do you think I need to be face-to-face to learn it properly or do you think it could be taught by DVD? One of the ladies in this forum just bought the kit and I've asked her for feedback on how she goes.

tiggy Guest

Sal,

I can send you a book and cd if you like. Some women prefer the face to face and some feel a bit silly in a group. It's really up to the individual.
    I did it on my own with a midwife friend but the book and cd tell you everything you need to know. If you learn well through reading and can commit to practicing every night.
    With the classes, I found it benificial in learning the different deep breathing techniques but again, it's all in the book and cd. The only thing with the cd is that it is an American woman speaking and she is quite nasally, which some women have found annoying.

Let me know if you want the book and cd and if you want I will find out about good practitioner in your area.

tiggy Guest

Mel, Shucks, girl, THANK YOU! THat really boosted my spirits!

belmarks Guest

Hey Tiff, what's involved with the whole hypnobirthing thing? I am really interested in anything that will allow me to labour naturally. Can I access this service in Newcastle? You're on the Central Coast aren't you?

Sal Guest

Tiff, am PMing you, as I'm really interested in reading the book and listening to the CD.

8-[ oops my preg hormones got the better of me and I let rip in the pg buddies forum about Lotus birth (had never heard of it but it was mentioned there and the gist is that the cord is not cut, so the placenta is sort of dried and preserved and carried around until it drops off from the baby). My gut reaction was that that is revolting, and I said so! I actually used the words 'new aged bunkum'. Where has my diplomacy gone?!?! I have had a headache for two days now and have been a bit cranky and quick to the draw...

I think I read an article once where a man wrote that he felt disconnected from his wife's pg/birth experience so he kept the placenta, cooked it and ate it.

Just had to throw that in.

Sal Guest

Yup! Each to their own! The placenta is an amazing organ but I'm not going to be that attached to it. O

I couldn't believe it when I read it, quite frankly.

I had a quick look in "The Cook's Companion" but Stephanie Alexander didn't have any recipes for placenta.

Sal Guest

:eat:

:feelsick: :feelsick:

belmarks Guest

yep I agree Sal, how horrible. I think I posted this somewhere else, but when I was in highschool, we had a PE teacher who told us in Health that she took her babies placenta home and cooked it up as a stew for her family to eat - and they did eat it! EEEWWWWW!!

Sorry if anyone out there might be contemplating this, but I think its gross!! Sort of like having your own liver cut out and going home and eating it, a bit canibalistic if you ask me!!

Sal Guest

Oh Bel, I'm wondering whether your PE teacher told her students that for contraceptive purposes!! How gross. Why anyone would want to eat part of themself is utterly beyond me. I wonder if she told her family what was in the 'stew' (reminds me of when my mum served rabbit stew when I was about 7 years old and just said it was chicken...we were all a bit suss about it)?!?!?

belmarks Guest

tee he he, yeah she probably did tell us that to gross us out!! It worked!!

tiggy Guest

Bel,

I am in the Hunter Valley. There are lots of amazing hynobirthing practitioners on the coast and a couple in Newcastle area. I work on the coast as a midwife.

When I was a student midwife someone gave me a recipe for placenta pizza!

We have had a couple of lotus births, they salt the placenta and wrap it in muslin until it drops off naturally. Interesting but not me. Alot of people take them home and bury them with a tree and many swear that the growth of the sapling doubles with the richness of the placenta, almost overnight!!!

All very interesting stuff.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast