Thread: Molar pregnancy and fear of it repeating

Unhappy Molar pregnancy and fear of it repeating

Hi all,

I was wondering if there are any others that are going thru what i have been thru.

In dec 07 i had a complete molar pregnancy, hence a d&c in jan, unfortunately i also needed chemotherapy as the moles became cancerous. I have waited out my year before ttc and now think i might be pregnant again but dont even want to take the pregnancy test cos im so scared of having to go thru it all again!

I do want another child, but my worry over having to do chemo again is crippling!

Is there anyone out there that had a molar pregnancy and then went on to have a healthy pregnancy?

Hi Elle, I've been through something similar. With me, the docs weren't sure what it was, as it wasn't a complete or a partial mole, but it was a sort of tumour (choriocaracinoma) that kept growing after 2 D&Cs. I didn't end up needing chemo as I kept wanting to wait, and after 9 months of waiting, it went away on its own.

I understand about being afraid to POAS, and not knowing what to hope for. When 2 lines mean UTD for most people, for us it could mean the threat of chemo. I completely understand the uncertainty and the fear.

I know you're looking for some hope, and I am too. I know I've read lots of stories about women who've gone on to have gorgeous babies after a molar pg.

If it helps, I think I might be UTD at the moment too. It's a bit of a secret, and I hadn't meant to blurt it out here.

But I did POAS, and stressed about what that might mean, went for BTs and still don't know what the HCG means. The only thing that will make me feel that it is not another mole (type thing) is a scan.

Sending you all the strength I can muster. Which you won't need, cos you must be pretty strong for everything you've already gone through. xoxo

Default ? Partial Molar Pregnancy

Hi elle2 and pash,

I've just recently too been given an almost certain diagnosis of partial molar pregnancy. I had a D & C almost 4 weeks ago and it has only just come to my knowledge. Thankfully being a nurse I already have contacts in the health profession who encouraged me to get a review on my abnomal pathology. The diagnosis was down scaled from 'complete' to 'partial' and the products have been sent to Sydney for further analysis. I am hopeful that it will be a partial molar, but have fears for future pregnancies as this was my first one and I'm going on 34years of age. The gynae-oncologist is hopeful that I'll be alright as my serum hcg has almost got to zero post D & C. But I still grieve the lost of a baby that was never to be and the fear of my own mortality.
    Fingers crossed in the next few months all will come good again. Its good to know that there are forums to discuss these dilemmas. Hope you'll be alright elle2.
    Weiss.

Hello

I am really sorry for your losses and the difficulties you now face. I am currently waiting the results of my D&C as there is a chance I had a molar pregnancy (I miscarried naturally at 6 weeks and although my HCG initially dropped quickly from over 4000 to just over 1000, they then started to rise very slowly). The D&C was today - my FS told me I should have the pathology results by Wed...

Did you have any symptoms that indicated a molar pregnancy? or was it a shock when you got the test results? I am 42 and am just absolutely petrified of having to wait - I've already waited too long.

Hi Buliej,
    I'm sorry to hear about your recent miscarriage. It's difficult to deal with a miscarriage but with possible molar diagnosis as well things seem almost worse. At one hand you feel the lost of a baby but also feel the future is uncertain with a diagnosis of benign tumour. Or so I thought. When I found out this shocking news I told a friend of mine who is a gynae-oncologist, who deals with women and uterine cancers. He had some updated information about partial and complete molar pregnancies, and the that made me feel a bit better. My friend also said there is also a chance that there has been a mis-diagnosis, so it was suggested that the pathology be reviewed immediately and the genetics be sent for testing. As it turned out I was misdiagnosed but infact had a hydropic abortion which can look similiar under the microscope to a molar but is a relatively ordinary miscarriage. My genetics turned out to be fine. I am due to see my gynaecologist this Friday and he'll give me more information on this diagnosis. So as it turned out it pays to have the pathology reviewed. Having a molar pregnancy you may have some reprocussions for future pregnancies, it does put you at a higher risk of another but it may not mean that you have to wait 6 to 12 months to try again. But I urge you to find out as much as you can especially hcg levels and were they are at now and what do they mean. Its a difficult time and my thoughts of strength go out to you.
    Take care of you and until next time.

Weiss - thank you so much for your reply. I received the initial pathology report yesterday and it was good news (not molar). I have a face-to-face appt with my dr tomorrow so will find out more, but she said the lab report was definitive. I was so relieved.

I too spoke to a Dr friend (not a gyno, but still up on this stuff) and she too told me that it wasn't as bad as everything I was reading made it sound.

Good luck to you!

Hi girls.

I too suffered a partial molar in Nov08, it took 2 D&C's and 4 months to reach 0. It's a scary time, and do feel your anxiety regarding it happening again. I think we all have to remember, they are considered quite rare and the chances of it happening again, are the same chances of it happening in the first place. Dr's are quite good at understanding the anxiety and in future pregnancies, they do offer scans every 2 weeks until 12 weeks to help ease your mind. There are so many success stories of healthy pregnancies after a molar, I know a great website if you pm me.
    Take care.

Hi there ladies,

Not sure whether to start a new thread or not, so just tacking on the end of an old one. I have just had a likely molar pregnancy at 12w2d, and I am so sad and so scared.
    It's awesome to know that some others have come out the other side of this safe and well. I'm up to the hospital tomorrow and will post details as I get them.

Snugglebean - I'm so sorry - I hope your appointment tomorrow goes OK

snugglybean - I am so sorry to hear this sweetie. Let us know how you go tomorrow. Will be thinking of you

Oh SB, I just saw your post. So sorry. You are in my thoughts. Sending hugs.

Snugglybean - I'm so sorry for your loss.

I was diagnosed with a partial molar at the beginning of June after my pathology from my m/c came back 3 weeks after d&c.

My HCG returned to normal within 6 weeks of the d&c. I'm going to see a new gynae about getting a second opinion on when to TTC again. I've just posted a new thread so hopefully, there will be some replies with good news and that may help you too.

Thinking of you.

Josijo

Sungglybean, I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you're ok and your appointment went as well as it could. It's not easy losing a baby, but even harder when it could have been a molar. I'm sure you have all the info now, but I just wanted to reassure you that it isn't dangerous to you and doesn't affect your fertility. But it does mean taking a break from ttc for 6-12 months. Which can be awful when all you want is to make a baby. It can be a really really frustrating time. Hope you don't have to go through chemo and can get back ontrack as soon as you want.

Josijo My oncologist recommended a 6 month wait to ttc if you haven't had any chemo. But 12 months if you have (but sometimes with older women he'd give the all clear at 6 months). I waited 6 months, but didn't have to have chemo. It took ages for my HCG to go down and stay down though (10 months) so it took ages anyway. Glad it was much quicker for you. Good luck with the baby making!

Default help

Quote Originally Posted by elle2 View Post
    Hi all,

I was wondering if there are any others that are going thru what i have been thru.

In dec 07 i had a complete molar pregnancy, hence a d&c in jan, unfortunately i also needed chemotherapy as the moles became cancerous. I have waited out my year before ttc and now think i might be pregnant again but dont even want to take the pregnancy test cos im so scared of having to go thru it all again!

I do want another child, but my worry over having to do chemo again is crippling!

Is there anyone out there that had a molar pregnancy and then went on to have a healthy pregnancy?
    yes just pray to god and he will lead you ok and that will be fine and you will see and tell
    me lateron.ok

Quote Originally Posted by izzy4real View Post
    Hi girls.

I too suffered a partial molar in Nov08, it took 2 D&C's and 4 months to reach 0. It's a scary time, and do feel your anxiety regarding it happening again. I think we all have to remember, they are considered quite rare and the chances of it happening again, are the same chances of it happening in the first place. Dr's are quite good at understanding the anxiety and in future pregnancies, they do offer scans every 2 weeks until 12 weeks to help ease your mind. There are so many success stories of healthy pregnancies after a molar, I know a great website if you pm me.
    Take care.
    Izzy - It seems I can't pm you, maybe because I just signed up for this website this evening? Anyways, could you send me that awesome website of yours?

ash the websites izzy is talking about are "my molar pregnancy" and "molar pregnancy uk"

Google those terms and you'll find them...

Good luck!