Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone had a stitch of the cervix??

I had two wavering opinions on this..so I give you in the scenarios they set out for me..First opinion and the obst I didnt go with lol
    !. Stich was to placed in at 12 weeks and then proceed to steriods and hospitalisation at 23 weeks. This was to be done all the way up to delievery. He didnt have much hope of me going past 27 weeks
    2. Stitch at 13.5 weeks then limited bedrest with the suture to be checked every fortnight..It never shortened so they seemed pretty convienced I wasnt going to be in need of steriods. I had a slight bleed at 30 weeks and they re-evaulated the position and length of my cervix and decided to allow nature to continue on its course...nothing eventuated
    Interesting tho...on my medical notes as below
    Cx suture at 14 weeks
    Cx tracking after suture
    Nifedipine for Cx shortening
    I think they will only suggest steriods if they think you wont get to 30 weeks ~so between 24-30 weeks if thing drastically deteriote~
    But in saying this I thought I was destined to have a prem baby my track record aint that great and I got to 37 ok
    Bec
    ETA : I didnt get that drug that is in my notes..if you are worried maybe ask your obst

Last edited by Visitor9; December 6th, 2006 at 12:18 PM. Reason: To add

My SIL was on strict hospitalised bedrest with her stitch from 19w, and they were goign to let her go home at 32w after the steroid shots at 31w. She went into labour that they couldn't stop at 31w5d and she had a c/s. It turned out when they got inside her that a previous c/s scar was so close to rupturing they had to deliver early otherwise it wouldn't have been pretty. But she apparently had the uterus of a 40yo from her two previous pregnancies and losses (and she was only 25.....) so she was really a worst case scenario.

I just did some research too.
    Steriods are only used in preterm labour situations after 24 and no further than 34. It has been shown to be the most effective either taken over 2 days at 12 hr intervals. Then delievering 5-7 days post the last injection obviously in situations that are emergency they dont get the flexabilty of this.
    I worry about prolonged use of steriods..not talking weeks but months, but then again I would of tried anything to get me over the line.
    Have they checked your cervical length's what are you looking at?
    BTW that drug is a heart drug..dunno why my obst was using it, he must know lol he is a multiple birth - high risk -suture king
    Bec

Thanks for your reply's. My cervix length hasn't changed so I don't know why he is suggesting steroids. It's nearly like he thinks I will go early but is saying to me that he doesn't think I will or he knows how devastated I would be if we went through another loss this far along???

Will definetly read more and ask him more questions at our next visit.

It is hard to know the correct decision but I guess you have to have the utmost trust in your OB.

Linda

Thanks for that Theresa..when I did a search on it and found it to be a heart and blood vessel drug I thought I must of had a bad ticker lol.
    I had Eliza at 37 weeks but she was a heaferish 8'8.
    Linda: I'm sure your OB has his reasons, and hopefully he does it every day and see's what works well . I'm not sure how you are keeping sane just tick off each week. These next 8 are the longest and then you get to enjoy the pregnancy
    Bec

Hi, I have read a bit more about it and he's probably right. Since my last appointment I guess I have been thinking we are nearly there but not quite and if something were to happen now I don't know what I would do. My husband and I are have so many plans that I just couldn't go through another loss. Due to that I think I realised I have to take it even easier for at least another 6 weeks.

Thanks for everyones feedback.

Linda

confusedegg Guest

ALEIDA: I would take it easy. When is your next appointment.

Chris my next appointment is Tue the 19th of Dec in which I will be 24 weeks. I have been making sure that I have been resting more lately. Lets hope that the time goes quickly and that I don't go early.

Linda

confusedegg Guest

ALEIDA: You poor sausage, its so nerve racking the waiting game.. i havent had one in as yet and they wont put one in, i have been councelled on this. Its good to hear that you are resting up. Cant wait to hear your progress on 19th.

Good luck Aleida. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Aleida [hugs]
    I can't imagine what you are going through
    I found a support group for you for mums vaginal cerlage stitch I can email it to you if you would like.
    I think many have lost a baby before too.

click on link in my profile to email me.

Hi Trish

I am sorry I have never sent a message to another buddy and just can't figure it out. It is probably staring me right in the face but can't figure where to go in the quick links???

Still resting up and counting down those weeks.

Linda

confusedegg Guest

ALEIDA: Hey sweet, i hope you are ok... if i remember correctly you only have till tuesday.. woo hoo not long to go.. Keep us posted lovey.

Aleida
    how did your appointment go ?

I hope you had a wonderful restfilled christmas - woohoo 100 days to go done to double digits tomorrow.

Hi Guys,

Well I am now 26 weeks and I just had my second steroid shot and so far feel fine. I am still taking it easy but am starting to feel more confident. Now that Jan is here I feel that the weeks will go by a bit quicker.

Bub's is kicking quite a bit which is exciting. Last night when I was in bed he kicked me so hard it felt like his leg was going to come out.

I can't wait till 30 weeks and then hubby and I are going to have a small celebration.

When did your OB take out the stitch? My OB wants to keep it in there till 37 weeks but that worries me a little because I don't want to rip my cervix if I do go a little early.

Hope you are all well and I will talk to you soon.

Love Linda

Linda - my friend had her stitch out at about 36 weeks and bub was born 2 days later I think - 26weeks is great and bring on the next 10 weeks at least

I had mine taken out with a c-sect but it was scheduled to come out at 37 weeks anyway. My cervix collapsed as soon as the stitch was taken out so labour would of been imediate anyway. My Obst was over an hr away and driving 100kms in labour wasnt an option as with my prev births I never felt contractions.
    Bec
    Yeah for 30 weeks~its all good from there on!!

Hi ladies,

Well hit the 3rd trimester, how exciting. We have our next OB appointment on Tuesday next week and I will be 28 weeks which is looking promising.

Of course I won't be completely relaxed until bub's is born healthy and we can take him home with us but I am getting there.

I still worry when I can't feel bubs moving but if I am patient he finally does.

I have started to write a list on things that we need to purchase for when I go to hospital because it is now getting closer.

Bye for now

Linda

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast