Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone had a stitch of the cervix??

Default Anyone had a stitch of the cervix??

Hi I was just wondering if there were any ladies out there who have had a stitch of the cervix to strengthen a weak cervix? I am having a stitch put in in a week and a half and I guess I want to know what kind of activities I can still do. My Ob has said that I can't exercise or over exert myself but should be able to daily things but then I asked him if I could walk the dog and he didn't recommend it. My DH then asked if I could do the washing(roll of the eyes) and he said the I couln't lift heavy baskets. Now I am confused on what I can and can't do.

Linda

Hi Linda,

My guess is if you are needing a stitch, you really shouldn't be doing much at all. They put these in for reasons I'm sure you understand, and having had 2 friends who have suffered losses beofre getting a stitch, they didn't want to risk a thing.
    Bec G had a stitch with her third pregnancy, and carried happily to 38w with a c/s delivery. I'm sure she will pop in and fill you in.
    My SIL had a stitch in her 3rd pregnancy too, and was on complete (and I mean hospitalised at Frances Perry) bedrest from 19-31w when the baby was born prem at 31w4d.
    Both are happy and healthy little girls, but not without a lot of sacrifice from their mums.
    Good luck!!

Hi Linda,
    As Fi said I had a stitch put in with my daughter..after 2 pregnancies that ended up as late MC due to PROM.
    I just found my sheet that my lovely Obst gave me after the surgery, he was very strict to follow his guidelines.

Lifting
    You should avoid any lifting following the insertion of a cervical suture. If you have a young child you should make every effort to avoid lifting unless it is absoultely necessary. This may require some modification to how your household is run BUT it is essential to keep the strain off the suture

Exercise
    I prefer that you avoid ALL forms of exercise after a cervical suture is inserted.Although this may be difficult for you if you are used to excercising or are concerned about weight gain during a pregnancy, cervical stutures are ONLY inserted for pregnancies that are at high risk of premature delievery and stopping all excercise is one way to ensure your pregnancy continues to term
    Sexual Relations
    I prefer that you do not have sexual relations while a cervical suture is in place. This includes all forms of sexual relations and orgasm

I was on bed rest for the 2 weeks following the surgery and then modified bedrest for the rest of the pregnancy. I wasnt allowed to carry supermarket bags or anything that was of effort. Looking back it was a small snippet in the big picture but worth it.
    Good luck let me know if you need to know anything else
    Bec
    Last edited by Visitor9; October 5th, 2006 at 01:10 PM.

Thanks Ladies,

I guess knowing what you can and can't do is a little confusing. Of course if that means bed rest then you are willing to do that but when the OB says continue normally but with many restrictions it becomes a bit vague. I have quit work so that is not a problem but we have visitors from overseas coming in November and I guess you want to know if you can still take them out a little.

Thanks for your help.

Linda

Linda,
    Also I'm guessing they will be doing US to check your cervix in the coming weeks, mine didnt alter from the stitch so technically I was fine to go about things. Be guided by your obst they know your history and your results for the reason of suture. I was also a panick merchant as My prev pregnancies were IVF and noted as IC but never treated.
    So dont write yourself off yet, just treat yourself like a pregnant women that needs alittle extra care
    Bec

confusedegg Guest

Aleida,

Have you been in for your stitch yet? BOL & thinking of you.

Please keep us posted.

Get your hubby to invest in a laptop if you can so you can use it in bed.

My hubby said the same thing about washing, they will try every trick wont they. he carries basket down and carries basket back to the house (laundry outside) and empties wash machine and i will hang washing (line is at arms height reach).

I fill dishwasher (LOL) and wipe them and put away. I do toilet and shower and he does the rest.

My house work will always be there, my baby wont (if i dont watch myself). I already had a stitch once, i dont want to go for another.

I forgot to say that i am only 140cm tall and not sure how tall you are, but have been told the shorter you are more cautious you have to be.
    Last edited by confusedegg; October 14th, 2006 at 06:41 PM.

Hijacked also to say Aleida hope you are going well, DH bought me a laptop for the lazy days in bed. HeHe I'm 180cm tall, going to make sure DH doesnt think I was telling him fibbeys
    How you going Chris..I can't believe you are 19 weeks
    Bec

Hi Ladies,

Well tomorrow the stitch will have been in for a week. Apparently all went well but I see my OB tomorrow which hasn't come quick enough. I want to make sure the bub is doing ok.

I have been trying to rest up as much as possible with over the last couple of days getting up a bit more. I was a bit crampy Sat night and a bit of Yesterday so I stayed on the couch pretty much all of yesterday. All I want is for time to move quickly so that I get out of that risky period. I think I will relax more once I hit 30 weeks.

I have to be monitored by my OB every 2 weeks which is good.

I hope you are all well and I will tell you how tomorrow goes.

Linda

confusedegg Guest

Aleida: How did you go with stitch?

BEC: I am well thank you, i cant believe i am now just in 21 weeks. Hows things with you?

I remember 30 weeks Linda it was bliss...far enough to think positive not too close to think of labour lol. I noticed your in Melbourne I hope my great stitch man did yours as well, he is quite handy with a shoe lace and a needle and god knows how he got it in there...I dont even want to know.
    Chris: Hope hitting 21 weeks hasnt been too hard on you ..I know everytime I'd pass an angels del time it was hard ((Hugs))
    Oh and me....I'm training my 19 month old to become self sufficent so when another stitch goes in she is happy mummy wont lift and carry her around
    Bec

Hi Chris and Bec,

Well the stitch has now been in 2.5 weeks and things are going well. I did have a little scare a few days ago when I thought that the stitch was coming out but after calling my OB who is Lionel Steinberg he assured me that it was the dissolvable stitch as the cervical stitch is black and as thick as a shoelace. Being an OB must be draining sometimes having to deal with paranoid women all of the time. I see him again on Monday which I always look forward to so I can listen to bub's heartbeat and the week after that we have our 19 week ultrasound.

I have been trying very hard to take it easy. Most days I potter around the house or catch up with a friend but I just have to remember that I have the whole week to slowly complete things around the house and hubby is always there.

I have actually started to use the time to try out new recipes which hubby is loving.

Thankyou both for your support.

Love Linda

Linda OMG yes I had the little stitches falling out and freaking about...I kept my stitch yes alittle gross but it is in a jar in with Elizas baby stuff and yes it is like a leather shoe lace. Glad you are taking it easy and guee if DH is reaping the rewards of a gourmet cook ...ohh he has made
    Bec

confusedegg Guest

Hi Linda,

Wondering how you getting on? With the dissolvable stitches do they cut the stitch before you give birth or do you have to have c-section?

Hope all is well.

Hi Chris,

Well the dissolvable stitches they fall out which I found out a couple of weeks ago but with the cervical stitch they cut it around 36, 37 weeks. That way I can still give birth naturally unless it is an emergency.

I have now reached the 20 week mark which is great but I lost the girls when I was going on the 22 week mark so I definetly have to take it easy for the next couple of weeks. I see my OB every 2 weeks which comes up tomorrow and I might make an appointment also for the following week to give me peace of mind.

How is your pregnancy going? I can't wait till I am 30 weeks.

Keep well

Love LInda

Bec or Chris, I was wondering if your OB had suggested to take steriods at 26 weeks to mature the baby a little just in case he/she was born early? My OB mentioned it yesterday but reassured me that he didn't think I would go early but just in case.

I guess it worries me a little, any thoughts?

Linda

confusedegg Guest

no he didnt does it hurt the bub if i do take steroids and he not born early? thanks for the tip.

It doesnt hurt the bub if the steroids are given and bub goes ft, but defeinately have them if offered, im grateful for those steriods, i had 2 shots at 25w, and 1 at 30 weeks, about 3 hours before i went in for a emerg c/s (so dont think it did anything) but My daughter was born with apgars of 8 and 9. Never needed resuss or assistance. Maybe google and seek some info for yourself...

confusedegg Guest

Thanks for your advise, that i will keep in mind.. i have another appointment with my obstrician on tuesday next week. so i might discuss it with my Dh and next week with obstrician.... thanking you, i didnt know about this, but find it handy to know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast