thread: Bumping belly

Jan 2008
    Busselton

Bumping belly

Hi Everyone.
    I am probably totally overreacting here, but after dinner I was walking to the sink and my foot caught on my chair leg and pulled my chair in my path as I was walking, basically I banged into the corner of the backrest with my tummy, close to the top of my uterus. It was a hard bump, but just at walking pace. If something went wrong, I'd have serious pain, right? Bubs is still kicking around like mad.

I am probably worried more than usual because of this ad on TV (in WA at least) about a pg lady who bumps into a table after being pushed by a drunk person - and the outcome is not good. It's actually a really sad and disturbing ad but that's another thread!!

anyway thanks in advance

xx

Mar 2007
    Paradise

Unless you are in pain I think everything should be OK. Bubs has the amniotc sac protecting them, and it would have to be a pretty hard hit to do any damage. it does unsettle you though.

Aug 2006
    Perth WA

Gawd that ad is shocking, it makes me sooo paranoid!

BellyBelly Professional Support Panel

Nov 2005
    QLD

Your baby will be fine.
    Your baby is very well protected in his little home, he is surrounded by fluid a uterus and then your stomach muscles. It would need quite a bit more force than could be caused by walking into a chair to cause any harm.

Nov 2008
    Perth

Unhappy Freaking out

I'm freaking out - after reading this post yesterday, I managed to lose my footing last night and fell straight onto my bump on the firm arm rest of our leather sofa. Bubs was moving a bit last night after it happened but I'm just so paranoid that it's done damage. I can't believe I was so clumsy!

Should I be calling my OB? I too live in Perth and that damn ad on TV is playing on my mind - I hate that ad!!!

BellyBelly Professional Support Panel

Nov 2005
    QLD

Hi Taurean
    It is very unlikely that you have caused any harm to your baby. Feeling your baby move after you fell is a good sign. However if your baby is not moving as much as normal then a check up may be a good idea.

Nov 2008
    Perth

Hi Taurean
    It is very unlikely that you have caused any harm to your baby. Feeling your baby move after you fell is a good sign. However if your baby is not moving as much as normal then a check up may be a good idea.
    Thanks Alan. Bubs has been super active since Sunday but there isn't as much action today which could just be me stressing or bubs could be snoozing I guess. I think it's unlikely that I did any damage too given it didn't really hurt me but it's so hard not to worry. I'll monitor the movement for a couple of hours and see my OB if I'm still worried.

Thanks again for popping in, I really appreciate it

Mar 2007
    Paradise

Taurean - To get baby moving drink some icy cold water or put an ice pack on your belly briefly.

Nov 2008
    Perth

Taurean - To get baby moving drink some icy cold water or put an ice pack on your belly briefly.
    Will give that a go now. I'm at work so I'm going to close my office door and lay on the floor for a bit. Hopefully little Tarko will give me a little hello... Thanks so much for the advice

Nov 2008
    Perth

All looks ok - phew

Thanks for the advice everyone. Have been to my OB's office and the midwife found the heartbeat immediately on the doppler - fast, strong and healthy. She too said it was unlikely I'd done any damage to bubs but it's best to check - especially given how worried I was. She told me to have a nice cold, sugary drink and some food then lay down a bit and bubs should make itself known. I just have to keep an eye on movement over the next few days and see them if I'm still worried.

It does feel much better just to get these things checked out. I think I'm just a bit emotional these days too (had a big sob on the phone to the OB's receptionist, my mum and my DH!) and that ad on tv over her in Perth really is freaking me out - and it seems I'm not alone!!

Feb 2004
    Melbourne

Just wanted to let you guys know what happened to me.... At around 34 weeks I had a big fall straight onto my belly - I was going to fall in the pool but as I tried to get my footing I fell straight onto my belly & hard. Same as you both I panicked! I went straight to the hospital & had monitoring done to make sure everything was ok. Essentially the hospital said bub would be fine as Alan has said, the only concern would be if there was an issue with the placenta detaching & in that instance you'd have bleeding as a symptom.

Try not to worry about bub, as hard as it is I know, but they are nice & snug in there so thy probably hardly felt a thing, just mummy being worried

Nov 2008
    Perth

Just wanted to let you guys know what happened to me.... At around 34 weeks I had a big fall straight onto my belly - I was going to fall in the pool but as I tried to get my footing I fell straight onto my belly & hard. Same as you both I panicked! I went straight to the hospital & had monitoring done to make sure everything was ok. Essentially the hospital said bub would be fine as Alan has said, the only concern would be if there was an issue with the placenta detaching & in that instance you'd have bleeding as a symptom.

Try not to worry about bub, as hard as it is I know, but they are nice & snug in there so thy probably hardly felt a thing, just mummy being worried
    Now that is really scary! Thanks for sharing, I feel so much better. I don't know where I'd be without the Belly Belly girls (and you too Alan!)

Jun 2005
    Perth

Dont worry ladies you are not the only one who hates that ad...I change channel as soon as it comes on.

Taurean, glad that bubs is ok.

Mar 2008
    North Northcote

yep, i too had this massive fear when i was pg with DD. i became totally clumsy around the 27 week mark onwards and ended up falling over a number of times. the biggest was when we were in italy and i fell forwards sprawling across cobblestones. i was so freaked out, so had it checked (great when you can barely speak the language LOL!) but like the others have said they tend to be pretty well protected in there. i, on the other hand was covered in bruises and scrapes.

Oct 2008
    Canning Vale, Perth

yep that ad is awful. my mum used to be a nurse and says that ad is a pile of crap itd take alot more than that so hurt the baby, i know people whove been in car crashes and had seatbelt bruises across thier bellies and they were fine

Jan 2008
    Busselton

thanks everyone for all your replies!! Seems i am not the only un-co preggers person!! I have since been booted by my 18mth old right in the tummy, but not stressing as much

I seriously want to complain about that ad, I think the only people who would take notice of it are pg people and it totally freaks them out, or those who have unfortunately had ultrasounds and then been told bubs is no longer with them (like one of my closest friends) - and it is really confronting and upsetting and brings back unwanted memories. I don't think alco's would really take much notice?

I wonder who you'd complain to? I get it on gwn or win - i can't remember.

Oct 2008
    Canning Vale, Perth

i totally agree with you, all i think it does is scare pg women into not wanting to go out!!! plus the guy who does it doesnt even get in trouble so whats the aim of it? grrrr it made me cry!!!

you can phone 'free tv australia', just google them

Nov 2008
    Perth

I seriously want to complain about that ad, I think the only people who would take notice of it are pg people and it totally freaks them out, or those who have unfortunately had ultrasounds and then been told bubs is no longer with them (like one of my closest friends) - and it is really confronting and upsetting and brings back unwanted memories. I don't think alco's would really take much notice?

I wonder who you'd complain to? I get it on gwn or win - i can't remember.
    I am so with you Water Lily!!! I'd happy complain with you. It completely freaked me out and everyone close to me who knows about yesterday said 'that stupid, horrible ad wouldn't have helped either'. I said the exact same things as you yesterday - it freaks out pregnant woman, not drunks!!! Let's get that ad taken off the air. How do we go about it I wonder?? Feel free to PM any of you Perth girls who want to get involved.