Thread: Can baby sleep in the pram's basinette?

Default Can baby sleep in the pram's basinette?

I was wondering if it's Ok for a new born to sleep in the pram's basinette; I am going to use my sister's Emmalunja pram which comes with a clip on basinette as well as a stroller attachment to use later on. I have heard stories that generally, babies should sleep in either a cot or a "genuine" basinette/cradle and should not be left for extended periods in the "pram-basinette". I want the baby to sleep in our bedroom and thought it would be convenient just to have her sleep in the pram's basinette (which incidently is the same size as a normal basinette) - what about ventilation? I notice some basinettes have slats for ventillation and others have this frilly material all around them. Is it worth buying a small basinette for a few months until the baby moves into a cot, or will the pram-basinette suffice? What are your thoughts?

Im not sure if you are suppose to or not, but my DS slep in his pram basinette beside our bed for around 3 months. Ours is a soft bag type of basinette and it was only for night sleeps. I would put him in his cot during the day. Although there was a lot of room in there for him, I still use to worry about his facing turning into the sides. Not sure if we will do this again for the next one or hire a proper basinette.

We were given my SIL's Emmaljunga (well, had - I have lent it to a GF) and my SIL specifically bought it because it was "the only pram a baby could sleep in according to the standards". SIL and BIL highly researched everything they bought for their son so I would believe this was the case. That said, how old is the Emmaljunga you are using? SIL's one is 5 years old. Not sure if models before that are "as safe" but I would suspect it would be ok...

Hey Lilli

My brother and SIL are also lending us their Emmalunja bassinette. We're using it for the baby until it can sleep in the cot...

They were also great researchers and were told this bassinette is fine for baby to sleep in...it's what they used for the first few months...their pram is just under 1 year old.

My sister's pram is 8 years old but in top condition - the wheels are still white! - I hope I can use it for the night sleeps - at least for the first few months because I can keep baby next to my bed- after that I'll put the baby in the cot.

Our babies have all slept in the prams bassinet and they have even slept in the portable rocker/bouncer next to our bed. Just do whatever works for you, there’s no right or wrong.

lindie Guest

My sister has a valco runabout and her little girl slept in that for quite sometime she was happy enough with it, and it is pretty much the same size as the valco bassinettes you buy for permanant sleep!!!

Lindie