Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car seat dilemma

Default Car seat dilemma

Hi there!

I'm hoping someone can help me here - either mum's who have already purchased car seats for this pregnancy or a previous one. My Dh and I were looking at purchasing the Safe and Sound Meridian after being told it's the safest available.

We were happy with that but when I put it in my car to try it out it doesn't seem to fit too well unless the passenger seat is almost touching the dash. That means not much room for me if my DH drives or if we put the seat in the middle of the car my DH won't be able to drive because the seats are not allowed to touch the baby seat. We have a suburu forrester so I thought that was quite a decent sized car.

Has anyone else had this problem? The lady said there was one called a compact something or other but it doesn't have the safe, modern techonology that the Merdian had.

HELP PLEASE!

Can't help you with car seats, but we have a new Subaru Forester and it is a fact that there is not a lot of room in the back seat. You can tell by looking at it. That might be why the seat isn't fitting properly. do you have another car you could try it in. Thanks for letting me know as I want to buy the safest seat and it might be a problem in our Subaru as well.

Where did you hear that it is the safest car seat jordie?
    thanks
    xxxxxxxxx

THe lady at BAby Bunting told us that so I guess I there could be other opinions. It's the only car seat that has the head rest part - I'm not very techinical I know! The Forester isn't massive but it certainly isn't tiny - especially compared to some deans and hatchbacks. Anyway the lady said that most car seat would have the same issue so I'm not sure what to do. It does look like an ace car seat though!

We had that problem and the only way we fixed it was to buy a new car....i just didnt feel safe!!

Gosh, we just bought the car and it is beautiful..... I know what you mean about smaller cars, but they probably just buy smaller seats, whereas you and I Jordie, sound like the car seat is more important...lol.... How much are they saying they cost? Is this Baby Bunting in Bentleigh East? We will look there, but was just wondering what a normal discount would be on everything - 10%? What have they offered you? Friends got about 10% when they bought everything.

The RACV website say that the Meridian is one of the more difficult car seats to use (installation wise) compared to other types. This may be the problem, but you will most likely find your car is the problem. Have you tried fitting it in the middle seat? I sell pre-loved car seats as part of my business and I had a customer have the same prob with a Safe N Sound Royale she purchased from me, before she bought it I told her to go to Baby Bunting and try out other types first in case they fit better, but none of them did so she still went for the Royale. You will find it will fit better when it is forward facing, but probably not much help to you at this point in time! The Royale customer only uses it in her car during the week, then moves it into her DH's car on weekends. The Compaq model is narrower than all the others, but you may still have problems with it when it is rearward facing.

Is Safe n Sound the brand to go for though?

I personally think so, but I've heard Baby Love is also a really safe brand. Safe N Sound make the Compaq model.

Hmmm - hard decisions! Well can't get new car - I love my Suburu! We just go it last year and it will be good for boot space. Anyway - I've seen the Meridian at both Bentleigh East and Fountain GAte and they're on special at the moment for $469 for automatic retractor thingy and $449 for manual retractor thingy. So far discont I have been offered is 5% but this is already on special so who knows. It is one of the most expensive but as I was told it sounds like the safest. I mean, I do most of the driving in that car during the week and it's only when we go on trips or places together that it might be an issue. I guess I am the desginated driver until I stop breatsfeeding so it might not be an issue!

Anyone else heard of good brands?

Jordie - I highly recommend asking Baby Bunting (or wherever you go) if you can take out different car seats to your car to test them out. You will find any Safe N Sound brand is safe, they exceed the Australian standards and to be honest the are all pretty much the same, just with different covers! (Trust me, I have washed many a seat cover!) You will find most convertible Safe N Sound car seats will have the Active Head Restraint (AHR) so don't let the sales person tell you the Meridian is the only one. Good luck in your quest!

Thanks Trish! it's nice to have an un-biased opinion from someone who's not going to profit! wow - so many decisions! Are you an expert on prams too? That's our next step - looking at prams this weekend with my mum and dad who are offering to buy - yeah! The only research I have done is asking lots of friends. so far the brands of choice are:
    VAlco
    Beemer Q
    Phil and TEd

Any ideas?

I'm not much of an expert on prams because I generally don't sell them in my shop as a rule. I have just purchased a Valco Runabout with a toddler seat for myself after doing some research.

Valco - The thing to note with Valcos is they are wide, so don't fit through all checkout aisles, a lot of mums have to use the wheelchair aisle to fit through. The benefit is because they are wide, they are less likely to topple over, especially with a toddler seat (something to keep in mind for the future).

BeemerQ - I've heard good things, but was told by a Babyco salesperson that they aren't suitable with a toddler seat because they topple easily.

Phil & Teds - I don't know a lot, but I think they are narrower than the Valco Runabout and generally a good pram. The toddler seat function is a completely different setup, but I have heard nothing bad about it. Be warned, they are VERY expensive!

You may be able to Google some reviews on the prams you are interested in. Sorry I can't be of more help!

My friends have a smallish car (Astra) and have a Graco 2 part system car seat...you know, the ones with the base unit and then the capsule that clicks in. It works really well with their car and is a really good seat. Here, they cost about $320 or so when you convert currency but I'm not sure what thy cost in Oz if they are sold there.

We're being given my friends Graco 2 part capsule but I never thought about the fit as we have a reasonably large car...guess I should check!

I was excessively fussy with our carseat and researched it throughly as well. A good one that I found and decided to buy was the Safe and Sound Premier Graphite. Has a lot of the same safety features as the Royale and Meridian but smaller. Have a look at it and see what you think. You have to be happy with your choice.

Safe N Sound make a "Unity Baby Carrier Module" similar to what Expat has described. Baby Love also have a similar one called the "Primo Capsule".

We have an Astra sedan and a Safe and Sound Meridian carseat and didn't have any problems with it. Our only prob now is that the Astra doesn't fit in both the meridian (for newest bub) and the safe and sound maxirider booster (for 1st bub) side by side so we're gonna lose the midde seat Damn it.

Any car seat that you buy in Australia complies with Australian safety standards, which are far more stringent than anywhere else in the world - so whatever seat you buy is going to be "safe".

Depending on where you shop and who pays for the research, you will get a different response as to what the safest car seat is. I've bought the Turn-a-Tot, which according to some research is the best there is - according to some baby stores (that have been denied distribution rights!) its not safe! Choice recommend it - and that's good enough for me! Its also one of the smaller seats, with more recline positions than the Safe N Sounds, so might be worth checking out for space issues.

Thanks everyone! Feeling more positive with all those options!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast