Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Car seat dilemma

we are looking at purchasing the safe n sound platinum. we have a mazda 3. does anyone know if it will fit comfortably in a mazda 3?

Take the car that you will be fitting the seat into, to the shop, and get the sales assistant to take the seat out side so you can see how much room it will take up.

I have the Safe n Sound Meridian AHR, and thats what we did, becuase I have a Corolla Seca. It just fits in there by about an inch.

The guy at the RACV who did the initial install said it doesn't fit in the echo without the passenger seat all the way forward, or in most of the cars that size.

After a couple of goes, it was not at all hard to install in the car.

Not sure about a mazda 3, you'll need to check it.

FWIW, next time around I will hire or buy a capsule until my baby is ready to be forward facing, or get the turn a tot seat.

A little correction on my last post. My friend gave me her 'Peg-pérego' brand capsule and it fits our car well (5 series station wagon). I don't know if they sell them in Oz either but the standards here are so ultra high that I doubt it would be allowed here and denied in Oz.

Good luck with your choice.

Jordie,

I bought my car seat from Baby Bunting in Ringwood - it is a safe'n'sound but I forget which one. I have the same problem as you - big car seat, smallish car (mazda 3). We had it fitted professionally (by the guy they get out) and the front seats do sort of touch the car seat but the guy said that was fine. Not sure why they wouldn't be able to touch it? Ours is in the middle for two reasons 1. I refuse to sit with my legs about my knees and my tummy touching the dash 2. it means when it is raining I can sit in the car to put DD in and not get wet!

In regards to a discount. We did get a discount at Baby Bunting because we bought a very expensive pram, sun cover, rain cover, belly belt, and carseat. We got a discount of about 7%. They do NOT discount car seats (don't think they're allowed?). When you go there you can join their "club" which gives you an automatic 5% off any purchase anyway (again, I don't think that is for car seats). If you're planning on buying a mass lot or expensive items or an expensive item and a few other bits, definately ask if they will give you a discount. I was told by the sales assistant they reserve the 10% discount for people who are spending a couple of thousand dollars with them.

HTH

MG

I have just booked in a hire capsule (its a safe n sound one) for 6 months. The place I booked it from installs it a couple of weeks before the edd and it only costs $70 for the entire duration. We will by a seat after this time.

Lisa

The centre position is also the safest for baby.

there is a place in north melbourne that fit and sell car seats at competivive prices. the best thing about them is that you take your car there and they will tell you which car seats fit better, and physically show you different combinations in your car. I do believe that you don't have to buy off them if you don't want to. its a no obligation service, but they are pretty competitive. They also will fit them for you. I think they advertise in Melbourne Child, or otherwise try the yellow pages.
    HTH
    also most car seats in australia are made by the same company, but they different suppliers put their own brand on them. They all have to meet specific standards, and the difference between a cheaper end one and a dear one is the material on the cover and any gizmos or gadgets that go with it.
    the plastic mouldings etc, are all the same. its just the look taht is different. The width does vary with several models, but the width of a car seat does not impeed on its safety standards.
    Good luck hunting

Lisa where did you hire it from?
    I have a 3 door Ford Festiva and am worrying about whether or not a car seat is going to fit! If not, I'll have to get a new car I guess! I only just got that one a year ago though!

we have a small car (but by no means the smallest) and we had to go with the s'n's campact. even so it had to be placed on the passenger side with the front seat all the way forward for the first six months while in capsule position - am not looking forward to doing that again, but not sure if we can afford to upgrade to a new car yet.

Jordie, we had the same problem with car seats. We were also looking at the Meridian. Luckily we tried it in the car and it was the same situation as you are in...DH couldn't drive if the seat was in the middle and basically the passenger seat was pretty useless if it was put on the side. We ended up buying a new car. We also then decided to hire a capsule from the Ambulance for the first 6 months so we could decide which seat we wanted and they say the capsule is the SAFEST above anything else.

While we were there we tried out the pram in the boot and it didn't fit either, so I had 2 reasons to get a new car then.

All the best with your adventure.

We went to BabyCo at NarreWarren and the ladies there were great, they told us to come back with our car that we're now using and they'd ensure it would fit. I think they brought out a couple of models until we found the best fitting one (and we have a Range Rover - you'd think it'd fit them all!)

You're in Chaddy, the Baby Gallery has also just opened up in Clayton (on princes highway) and at the moment they have some great specials. (including car seats).

For prams, we just got our Phill&teds there for $100 less than at Baby Buntings, which I've found are quite expensive.

Thanks for this thread girls. I am now considering what to do in regards to carseats. I have Tehya in the Safe and Sound Royale, and Noah in a booster seat. Now when bub comes along it will be in the Royale and I want to get a Maxi rider for Tehya, wondering though if Noah will still fit in his booster in the back seat too. I have a Commodore Berlina, it's fairly roomy but somehow I don't like my chances of 3 carseats in the back.

Of course I only just got rid of my station wagon too, the backseat would have been bigger than the Berlina's.

Great idea for going to the shop and trying it out for space. I might just do that. The Maxi riders are pretty wide though, aren't they ?? Don't want to have to get a different one, but I guess if it means they will all fit safely I won't have much choice.

Kazbah - thanks for the tips on new baby store! Always looking for a bargain!!

We're going tolook today and have decided that whatever one fits best will be what we go with because as someone else said previously, they all have to meet Aus safety standards so we it should be safe. I thought about a capsual but if you're pa7ying for a car seat anyway down the track I would rather get it now. I don't fancy carrying ca capsual in and out of the car either. Oh - I hope that doesn't make me sound too lazy!

Great tips from everyone - thanks!

kiki Guest

If safety is your issue then the safe and sound capsule is actually the "safest" car restraint for newborns due to it's 2 part system and how it reacts in an accident (the capsule actually sinks into the base altering the angle that the baby ends up in and spreads the load more evenly over the whole body). It is also smaller than a car seat in the rearward facing position by a good few inches. Have you thought of hiring a capsule for 6 months then going for the meridian car seat when baby can go forward? This would solve all your problems by having baby in the safest travel system possible and the good seat fitting cos when you turn it forward it won't take half the space that rearward facing does. HTH

Hi, we have a forester as well.

I havn't picked our seat up from layby yet, but both our local baby shops agreed that not many seats would fit in the reverse newborn position. We have a turn a tot on layby, the only reason the turn a tot should fit is because in that position you can take the extra head rest off and put it back on when the seat goes into normal mode.

Good luck
    although if you have the seat already there is no reason why it won't fit in normal mode so maybe hire a capsule from your local council until your bubs is bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by rayray View Post
    The centre position is also the safest for baby.
    I thought the same thing, but the ambulance guy when he fitted the capsule said that the side was safer because the base of the capsule/seat sits better on the seat. He said as a general rule the middle of the back seat is usually a bit raised and flatter so when the capsule or seat sits on it there is a little more play in it and has a slight rock. When the capsule or seat is fitted on the side it fits more snuggly into the seat. I must admit that in my mind for side impact that the centre is safer but is it if there is the rocking action in the base??

Kiki, that is what the ambulance also said that the safe n sound capsule is definitely the safest on the market for newborn babies.

Thanks Kazbah for info on BAbay Gallery - GREAT PLACE!! We loved it! Helpful people nd much better prices than BAby CO or Bunting. Well our car seat was $20 cheaper which is a bargain in my eyes!
    Thanks Nurse Dan- we went with your suggestions and are very happy with the purchase of the SAfe "n" Sound Graphite. We tried it and its a much better fit and the ladies assured us it was just as safe just a little less padding that the Royal or Meridian. Quite a bit cheaper too. Anyway we're happy so good luck to all thos others ont he car seat hunt!

Any time

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast