Thread: comfortable sleeping positions

Default comfortable sleeping positions

Hi everyone!

I'm 27 weeks pregnant and I've been having lots of trouble getting comfortable enough to sleep for longer than a few hours at a time.

I keep waking up with pins and needles in my arms or a sore back or a smooshed face etc

I'm getting a remedial massage on the weekend to work out the kinks and aches.

I currently have a body pillow and I also have a pillow that is apprently especially designed for people that sleep on their side...

BUt if anyone has any advice, reccomendations, help, ideas ANYTHING on how to get comfy well I'LL LOVE YOU FOREVER!!!

xxx
    Laura

Oh Laura - I feel for you! And still a while to go huh?
    I'm not sure if its going to get any better for you, its possibly just one of those things. I started having lots of problems sleeping from about 35 weeks (I think?) which is when I started to get really big.
    Only thing I can suggest is making sure you relax before you go to bed. So have a nice hot shower (its OK to have a hot shower before bed as long as you dont stay in too long) maybe get a wheatie bag to sleep with, and try some lavender. Another thing could be chamomile tea, as this can help with insomnia. You should be sleeping on your side now anyway, its better than your back for the baby, but if you are comfy on your back, do that.
    Chances are this will continue as if you haven't got this problem already - your bladder will get so small you will be waking up every few hours to wee!!!
    Remedial massage sounds wonderful. My osteo saw me every few weeks once I got big and uncomfy!

Fi

Fiddle Guest

Default Pins and Needles when Sleeping

Hi

I am having the same problem. My left arm keeps getting pins and needles. I just can't get comfortable. Having Pin and Needles- does that mean the baby too could have blood flow restrications- as your arm has?

Cheers Fie

*sticks up hand in their air* I'm having that problem too at the moment. I WAS a belly sleeper prior to being PG so of course that's now impossible. I've been told the best way to sleep (healthiest for bubs) is to sleep on your left side.

Ok, well no-one asked Maddy because the moment I roll onto my side, she slides down to one side of the uterus and goes bananas. *L*

I definately agree with whomever just said to sleep however you could get comfortable. I had more neck problems sleeping on my side than my back.

Also, try to make sure you're REALLY tired before you lay down to sleep. If your mind is still going in overdrive, it can take so long to fall asleep.

jaime Guest

Hi. i also feel for you. I have had trouble sleeping since about 16 weeks as i have had a lot of lower back pain and i have had a fairly big belly since about 20 weeks which hasn't helped.

I have found the only way i can get a little bit of sleep is to have a pillow supporting both sides of me and one between my legs (but unfortunately i only am able to sleep for about an hour at a time before having to turn over - which also is easier said than done)

I started off with pins and needles and then my right hand went totally numb and have been diagnosed with carpal tunnel and have to wear a splint at night on my hand which helps a lot.

Having a bath before you go to bed may help a little too. A remedial massage sounds great! i hope that helps

Poor Us!!

I've also developed a clicking jaw too!

I tried to create a circle with my body pillow and put my belly in the middle of it and then sleep on my front... but that didn't work

Then I tried sleeping on my body pillow - like straddling a log...but that was no good either.

The place that does my massages has one of tose bally pillows for the massage table.... so it has a dent for your bally and two more for you boobs.

it's like a dream to be able to sleep/ rest comfortabley laying on your front.

I'm seriously thinking about asking her where I can get one and then sleep on that at home.

Laura, get your pins & needles checked out - you may have carpal tunnel. Not a big deal, but the Drs can give you suggestions on how to help it. I had it pretty bad & splinting helps.

As for sleeping, I found the lounge comfy so slept there a bit. Also for some reason on my side with my head raised a bit helped too.

Speaking of pillows, at the end I was sleeping with two pillows side by side for my head, one pillow along my back, one on my front (I was on my side) and one between my legs.
    I got a massage done when I was 39 weeks, and it was in a special pregnancy chair. It was gorgeous to have my back massaged!
    Just to make your day, it was weeks after Jenna was born that I was able to sleep on my tummy again without bb's hurting or leaking.

I know this isn't exactly an easy fix, but I think the only way to sleep comfortably thru preg is on a water bed!! We have one and I'm now almost 38 weeks and have never had trouble getting comfy. However, I couldn't sleep at all when I visited my family interstate and used a normal mattress... Probably a bit extreme to buy one just for pregnancy though!

i found that having 2 cushions between my knees helped a lot, and also one behind my back, so i was 'sort of' lying on my back, but actually laying on my side. does that make sense?

good luck - i feel for you all, it really can be uncomfortable! hope you can find some comfort!