Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constipation - oh boy!

Red face Constipation - oh boy!

Carrying on from the general discussion " Second trimester Symptoms",
    I was worried that with constipation, the... straining... might hurt bub. Or myself, and there fore hurt bub.
    I have always eatten musily with seeds and yoghurt for brekky, when that stopped working I tried bran, still no luck, then, porrige, then fruit, apples, then prunes, dates, dried apricots, then (by usual garrenteed remedy) kalamata olives, still nothing. A friend who has the same doc as me, said that he had recomended weetbix with soy milk and no sugar.
    Does any one else out there have any good remedys?
    As I'm sure I'm not the only one who need them, but may be too embaressed to ask the question.

hehehehe i dont know any anythign to use but i need it too. i was told u can use metamusil (sp?) i dont like the taste of it so i have the tabs. i havnt taken any yet because i dont want to have to resort to it. i dont liek taking tabs and espeically not now i am preg.
    sorry i am no help.

oh i know u gotta try to keep ur water intake up heaps more then usual.
    Last edited by sassy123; November 29th, 2007 at 07:57 AM. Reason: more

If your constipation is bad I reccomend Coloxyl and Senna tablets. You can get it from the chemist. Take 2 tabs a day and if after 2 days there is no result increase to 2 tabs twice a day. Remember to make sure that you are also having plenty o fluids.

I had psyllium husk recommended to me last preg. and it seemed to work. You get it from a helth food shop and either sprinkle it in your ceral or stir it into juice/smoothie/etc. It's a bit yuk but has no taste, just texture so you get used to it and it's all natural. You do need to increase your fluids with it though or it can have the opposite effect!

If you're taking an iron supplement that can also increase constipation. Liquid iron can be a little better (like spatone) and I used to have mine in pear juice.

The main thing, I think, is if you do end up with hemmoroids, then go to the GP sooner rather than later - they have great creams and will give a lot of relief.

Good luck!

Lisy Lee,
    My Ob told me to take 1 Coloxyl a day (and increase to 2 if no action ) and keep up the water. Try some fruit juice as well - and prune juice (literally just 1 cup) does wonders! Also - as for the psyllium husk and Metamucil - great stuff once you get going - but if you're already constipated my doctor said you need to get 'moving' before you increase your fibre otherwise nothing gets through!
    Hope that helps!
    It's an awful feeling!
    All the best,
    LJ

Pears!! I was obsessed with them a few weeks ago and things started moving VERY quickly - spoke to my naturopath about it and she said that the reason was certainly my daily pear addiction!

Oh boy. I bought some Metemucil yesterday, I didn't realise that it swells that much. I was already pretty "full". Then I just about popped. oooh it hurt. my stomach was so stretched. Still nothing has worked, and I'm now at the point where I can't eat, 'cause there's no room! I think I'm going to see my doc.
    I'm not so bloated today, but It's still no fun.

LisyLee - as you are already blocked the metamucil won't work. As Lily J said you need to get things moving first (use the tablets Alan suggested) then once you're going again the Metamucil helps keep you regular. It's not a "cure" for when you're already constipated though.

Good luck getting going again - think how good it will feel!!

Hopped into a big bowl of fresh fruit salad yesterday, and I think it helped! Especially the fresh pineapple, and I don't believe the stories about pineapple!(see thread "Old Wives Tales?").
    Anyway there is movement at the station! YAY!!!!
    I think it was just a matter of patience! And contoling your hunger, and I also avoided dairy products for 24hrs.

Good to hear you have it under control! You might want to avoid rice, bananas, cooked apple (I know these are constipating in children - although strangely, they're the most common first foods given to babies) and have plenty of dried figs, dried apple and apple juice. Since starting iron supplements I've made sure I eat a little dried fruit each day and it definitely helps. Good luck!

I was so constipated a few weeks ago that I couldn't walk properly, I had stabbing pains and was really uncomfortable...I ended up taking a natural laxitive from the chemist (it was a fruit based one) on recomendation from my doctor and also a product called "De-Gas" to help with wind problems. It took one day and then it all started moving again...I tell you what though, the first movement was AGONY...gawd it hurt, brought tears to my eyes it did...and it wasn't the actual movement that was the problem it was my bowel, I think it was bruised from too long being full and bub's bouncing round on it...

I tried EVERYTHING and nothing would shift the blockage so it was laxitives or die (in my eyes)....it took a few days to get back to normal so don't expect miracles overnight. I will never let it get that bad again, I will be taking the laxitive as soon as I get any signs...no point suffering needlessly...

Metamucil is great as a daily preventative, rather than a treatment. I've switched brands though - changed to Fibersure (because it was cheaper) & I like it heaps better than the Metamucil. My preference for Fibersure has nothing to do with the results - they both work fine - but the fibresure has a MUCH better texture - almost completely dissolves, rather than leaving gritty bits. It's all natural too (whereas the metamucil smooth texture uses artificial sweeteners - which I'm trying to avoid in pg).

Hope that helps!

My constipation was so bad i ended up using enemas... not good...but boy what a relief hehe. I found that all bran with the honey almonds really helped and also not eating white bread and bananas. Do you find you are more constipated after eating certian foods? I recommend lots and lots of water too.

Definatly more constipated when eating more dairy foods. Sorry but chocolate too. By the way, the friut and metamucil worked, no more problems.(touch wood).

Pruce Juice deffinately... and also the Physlliam (sp?) husk... aftyer a couple of days its brilliant and i can really tell if i miss it.

I had been ok up to the last 10 days or so, then OMG things just did not want to happen. I hadn't significantly changed my diet - I have weetbix hi bran for breakfast. I think with the warmer weather although I was still drinking 2+L a day of water it just isn't enough. I am trying to drink closer to 3+ and I think it is helping. Keep up the high fibre foods and fruits and make sure you drink heaps, especially when it is hot.

Good luck and I hop things keep moving

i had similar problems after having my 2nd son as I was scared to do a #2 so i held it in.. I saw a natropath and he suggested fruit only for inital breakfast then eat high protein foods like bacon and eggs or a juciy piece of steak about an 1hr afterwards.. strange combination I know but it worked a treat.. loads and loads of water which it sounds like you're already doing!! fantastic!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast