Thread: Does this look like a girl to you?

Default Does this look like a girl to you?

Hi, I had a scan done today at 17 weeks and asked about the sex of the baby, he took a long time looking at bottom view shots and then said that he believed it was a little girl because in that position you would expect to see boy bits, but they get it wrong 1 in 5 times!!!!! By the scan pictures I have been given (found in my gallery) can anyone tell if this is definately a girl? Thanks Pam.

Blackduckies I don't think that's the right angle to see. I think they are suppose to take the shot from the bum up. I can't see any bits hanging out though, so unless it's hiding, it does look like a girl. Good luck.

When I had my scan with Iz he did sort of a close up shot of the genital region I guess and there were 3 white lines that are the ovaries and something else I can't remember, so unless as Georgi said, it was all hanging out and was definately a boy, it could be a girl?? Hard to say thogh because of the angle they do these, mine was also 70% certain it was a girl and it was right so who knows??
    Good luck with it!

Can't tell from those pics, but I'm not too good at that. I know our bubs is a boy (from amnio) but I still can't see it on ultrasound even though I've had heaps.

Hey blackduckies
    The shots you've got there are profile shots (baby is side on) so there's definitely no way of determining the sex from them....the view where you can see the sex is usually taken underneath the baby's bum. Imagine if they were sitting on a glass table and you were underneath it looking up - that's the angle you'd see.

Are you getting any more scans? Perhaps you can ask them to check again and point it out to you so that you can see.

yeah i personally cant tell. Coz the pics where taken in the wrong position. I would go back and tell them this and get another one with someone else. Congrats anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Tanstar View Post
    When I had my scan with Iz he did sort of a close up shot of the genital region I guess and there were 3 white lines that are the ovaries and something else
    Umm I don't think thats right. I don't think you could see ovaries. the 3 whit elines are the vagina

An experienced person can see the ovaries.

I can't see any bits either wrong position

Not to argue but I was told that they are much too small to see.
    also if you could, they wouldn't be those 3 lines.

Gender is determined by looking between the baby's legs. To determine the baby is a girl, the sonographer should clearly see the labia. The internal female anatomy (uterus and ovaries) can not be seen on a fetus. Usually by about 20 weeks the labia will be visible. The further into the pregnancy, the clearer the labia can be seen.

Female gender should never be determined simply by the absence of a penis. This is the most common mistake made by inexperienced sonographers. Some boys are just not in a good position to see the penis. So again, the labia must be visualized in order to accurately determine female gender.

Sometimes conditions are not favorable to determine the sex. Factors that can make it difficult are obesity, decreased amniotic fluid, fetal position and fetal activity. These factors can decrease the chances of getting a clear view between the legs. So there are times when the sonographer simply cannot tell the gender for these reasons. In these cases, it is always better for the sonographer to tell you that he/she just can't tell, than to guess and be wrong.

Thanks everyone, they did'nt provide my with the bottom shots, so I thought maybe you can see something from the side angle. I have seen a website where they were reading the sex form the side girls had a continuation from the spine and boys where at a 30 degree angle from the spine. Called angle of the dangle, but I can't tell????? I have another scan in 3 weeks time by a place that only does
    3D ob ultrasounds, so the guy is really experienced, hopefully the baby is less active than this last scan, it was hard for them to get a shot of the behind, but when they did it was a pretty good close up and I was looking hard to see if there was anything hanging in between and I could'nt see it, so a confirmation will be great.

I couldnt tell from those pics either as its just the wrong angle.. a leg could be in the way of where one would think bits would be.
    My 19 week scan they said 90% girl but i didnt see nothing at the time. They guy showed me but it could have been anything as it was looking front on rather than bum up. So i had a second scan which confirmed definately a girl, saw it with my own eyes. We didnt see 3 lines with either scan, it was more just "girl bits"... like um.. the flaps. Completely different to DS's scan.

Yeh im no expert but i wouldve thought if you could see the overies theyd be dark round circles on the scan.. similar to the kidneys?

i was told the same as fionajill... the 3 lines are the vagina the labia ( from what i was told) is the middle one...

It has taken me 4 scans to get a more definate answer as to what we were having... My 18 week scan she said "if i had to guess i'd say girl"... This wasnt reassuring to me so i booked another.. The guy told me couldnt see properly...
    I had another scan at 28 weeks which was told 80% chance of girl (couldnt get more then 80% as they couldnt see between the legs properly (only lines) they like to see the 3 lines and also see if there is nothing... well hanging in between....

The last one was done 32 weeks and the lady told me definatley a girl... you may have to go back for another scan later on...

We had about 3 scans for various reasons and each time they said it "looks" like a girl, even though the 3 lines were visible (even I could see them) they didn't want to say 100% JUST incase they were wrong. I know though that it was the white lines that they were looking for. xo

HIya BD,

Yeah I know the website your talking about, I have seen the same images, in fact i think it was you who directed me to it?? Anyway I cannot tell either way from the possie that bub is in nor from the curvature of the spine. S'pose you'll get a more definative answer in a couple of weeks

Nae x

I was just going to suggest that web site to you did you put the scan picture on it any feed back

Me ild say im 100% positive girl