Thread: Gaining too much weight.

Unhappy Gaining too much weight.

My Ob is saying that i'm putting on too much weight and i was a size 14-16 before i found out i was pregnant, so i'm chunky to start with.
    On my last visit i'd put on 4 kg making it a total of 4.8kg since i'd found out i was pregnant. I'm worried i've put on another 4 or so. But i don't know how to fix it.
    I have an active job (Disability Support), Ballroom dancing once a week, careful of how many sweeties i eat and try to walk once a day if i'm not too exhausted after work.

How do i control this Please Help.

My OB hasn't said anything about my weight gain, I was about a size 14/16 when I first got pregnant (around 73 kg) and at last weigh in, was over 86.... So I've put on heaps.. but you know what?? My OB and my midwives have not said a thing about it, I'm healthy (and relatively young... ) and both say that I look in great shape.

I would try not to worry about it too much. I thought that I may have GD because I was gaining so much, but nah, its just all the chocolate I eat!!!

Your OB might be concerned because of the risk of GD, but I wouldn't worry until test results are in!!!

Try not to stress too much... it all comes off when the baby is out anyway.. you are just growing a good, healthy bub in there!!!!

Your weight gain sounds perfectly normal to me and not too much at all.

Does your Ob not realise that you are actually growing another human being????

Try not to let it get to you too much and as long as you are doing gentle exercise and eating well like you have been then try to ignore him.

Lv Spring.

Bah to that. We all put on weight differently in pregnancy. At 36 weeks I had put on 20kg, not sure how much I've put on now though. I'm all baby belly, haven't put on weight anywhere else.

That doesn't sound like much of a weight gain to me BUT if you're concerned then I think look at what was making you overweight to start with.

I was overweight when I got pregnant and it didn't take a rocket scientist to work out why. I drank too much, went out for pub meals a lot and although I ate lots of the right stuff and virtually no junk, my portion sizes were too big given that I wasn't exercising very much.

Obviously when I got pregnant out went the drinking and an enormous amount of calories. We also wanted to save money so out went the pub meals and the huge portions.

I only put on 6kg in total - that wasn't through dieting, it was through eating sensibly. AND I couldn't exercise because of an unstable and very painful pelvis.

Like I said, your weight gain doesn't sound like much but if you DO want to do something about it then perhaps cut down on portion sizes and make sure you're eating the right things.

Sorry, I don't go for the theory that it all comes off easily afterwards. There are enough magazine articles filled with women complaining about how they could not shift the baby weight to suggest that's not true.

After having DD, I am now 5kg less than when I got pregnant but again, that didn't happen magically - I just continued what I'd done throughout the pregnancy and ate sensibly.

RenHinde Guest

i wish my weight gain was 4 kilos! LOL, im 17 weeks 3 days pregnant and i have put on 10 kilos

i try not to worry to much about it, i think the cruelest thing you can do to a pregnant woman is stand her on the scales! LOL

i will worry about it after bubs is born safe and sound! im eating well and still doing everything i have always done! so... well, bring it on! LOL

P.S my first pregnancy i put on over 30 kilos :S :S second was about 24 kilos... this one so far 10, 10 is great lol...

Thanks for the support guys!

I have put on 24, 27, 20 and 16 kgs with my 4pgs. Every woman will gain weight differently to another woman and even from one pg to another you can gain weight differently too. I wouldn't worry about it - you may gain a lot now but not so much at the end of your pg. So long as you are keeping as active as you can and eating as well as you can then there should be no issue with the weight at all.