Thread: Ice cream question...

angelique Guest

Default Ice cream question...

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know for sure if companies like Peters, streets etc use raw egg in their ingredients to make ice cream? I am sure they would specify that on the packet (the packet does not indicate this). The ice cream is pasturized (streets as far as I know) so it should be fine hey?

Any help would be reasurring

Angelique - This was actually covered in another thread and it all came back that it was fine - because even if there was egg in there icecream it was pasturised- hope this helps.

angelique Guest

Thanks for that Jacci, I could not find that thead hehehe.

ange

Hi girls

Ice cream is OK but not the soft serve ice cream. This sort of ice cream can contain high amounts of Listeria.

angelique Guest

Hi there,

I actually emailed customer service at streets ice cream and they told me they do not use raw eggs in their ice cream products. I am sure for safety reasons (such as allergies especially), if they did it would appear on the packaging. I am not sure about peters or Brownes.

I am sure they would add all the ingredients to the milk and then pasturise it. This is what streets does anyway.

angelique Guest

Hi tulip,

Well the good news is that you can eat STREETS Ice cream if you want (Magnum especially) as they do not contain any raw eggs in the ingredients. They told me that eggs is an allergen like nuts, so they MUST indicate this on their packaging as it is a standard law. But after looking at the magnum packaging, it contains nuts but no eggs.

Thanks for letting me know about the other brands as I can stay clear of them. I am sure they are fine because pasturization is when they heat the mixture at a specific temperature to kill all the germs. They put all their ingredients in before the pasturization process. They would have to adhear to strict standards so that they dont food poison the general population.

The ice cream i would be careful of is the ones they make in the restaurants as they would definetly put raw eggs in them. I ate some of that by accident once (only a little though) but what can you do. Sometimes I guess you forget or dont realise.

I always get peter's light and creamy. I checked the label last time this came up and there was no eggs mentioned, so should be pretty safe

angelique Guest

Kylie

I am surprised that Peters came up on the list of using raw eggs in their ice cream, even cadbury. I remember getting a tub of the vanilla cadbury Ice cream and I specifically read on the label that it had NO EGGS whatsoever. By law they must put this information on the label.

Tulip, do u think when you mentioned all those ice cream companies that maybe certain products made by them did contain eggs but not all of them? I am confused now.

Re listeria ... Alan is right - soft serve is the one to be wary of. As for egg allergies ... I guess that's a bit of a pain if you really like icecream!

Personally, I hate that listeria leaflet. It really takes the fun out of feeding your face.

angelique Guest

Hi everyone,

Here is an email I got from Peters Ice cream. I hope it makes everyone feel better:-

"We use pasteurised egg yolk in our ice cream mix, the mix is also heated and held at temperatures to kill any bacteria or microorganisms before being cooled and frozen in our freezers".

Tulip, I agree about conissuer, it is a very rich Ice cream, much like what they make in restaurants. That is why it tastes divine!!

I think it is good to be informed of what ingredients are in what we are eating. Just makes us feel better and less stressed about the whole 'eating' thing.

This is interesting, I ate lots of ice cream and didn't think that it would have raw eggs in it. I was really careful not to eat anything with raw eggs like choc mousse but never thought of ice cream. Didn't have soft serve during pg but had some in the hospital! Amy turned our perfect so which was great.

I work for Peters Ice Cream in Victoria

The Peters Ice Cream that Tulip mentioned is in Western Australia only not other states. Made by Peters Browns

I checked with a lady in product development at work and basically was told no eggs used and everything is pasturised and passes quality tests in the lab) so Peters Ice Cream is safe to eat - I eat it everyday as we have a freezer in the office to help ourselves.

Lucky you!! Thanks for the confirmation.