Thread: Itchy Nipples

Default Itchy Nipples

Hi guys

Does anybody else have really itchy nipples all the time???? I made them bleed yesterday by scratching so much.... Anybody know what i can put on them to make this stop??? Its driving me crazy ](*,)

Thanks,
    Yael

hi yael,

ouch!!! made them bleed. oh no. try not to scratch!! i do remember having an itchy nipple, but from memory it was just the one, strange i know. maybe you could just try putting on a cold washer to relieve them a little bit? hope it improves soon!!

Linda

I was just generally itchy everywhere and now I use this oatmeal bath and shower stuff that seems to keep the itching away. It's Dermaveen brand and is bath and shower oil. Really has helped me, and is for itchy skin conditions.

I found my left nipple was always itchy.....go figure! *LOL* I have since found that as long as I remember to put on my Body Shop Nut Butter on my BBs and belly each day I don't itch at all.

Custardtart Guest

Try Lucas' Pawpaw ointment from the chemist, it comes in a bright red tube or tub, and also does an amazing job as a moisturising lip balm. I had this recommended to me for nipples and lips while I was in the hospital and found it very soothing, better than the lanolin extract.

Kerrie

it is possible it could be a form of thrush. You can get nipple thrush when breastfeeding. The itching your describing sounds a little more than just ultra sensitive and sore nipples. I think a way of checking is when you shower and your nipples dry after wards, do they begin drying white it color? Are the nipple part pink or red, compared to a more browner areola??

just a thought, i have suffered nipple thrush and it is murder when breastfeeding, can imagine it would be just as irritating not feeding.

hth

Hi

i get itchy nipples too, and i have made them bleed on a few occasions, I find that putting some really creamy thick moisturiser on them each morning and night really helps, also don't wear lacy bras and don't use soap on them in the shower, maybe try a hypo-allergenic body wach from the chemist like QV, that helps too.

Goodluck!

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your advice! Glad to know that i'm not the only one out there with this problem!! Anyway, i tried putting on the Pawpaw ointment yesterday and today (mainly cos i already had some at home), and it was good yesterday, and has only been a little itchy today...

I only use the QV body wash as i had ecezma and can't use soap anyway, which is think is going my skin a whole lot of good. I don't know if its ecezma there or not (its only on the nipples, not anywhere else on the breast, thats why i'm not sure), but i guess if it gets worse i'll try my ecezma cream on it (its quite strong so i'ld rather avoid it if possible!)

I dont think its thrush, but i'm seeing my obs in a week, so i'll ask him what he thinks!

Once again, thanks for all the advice

I found cocoa-butter (either Palmers or Body Shop) to be the best at relieving the itch, and this also helps healing if you have scratched too much. Also, only wear really soft bras with no seams over the nipple area (although I'm sure you've already figured that one out for yourself!!)

Custardtart Guest

I'm glad to hear you are finding some relief - the last thing we all need now is more pain!

Kerrie

You might find some of the nipple lotions they make for breastfeeding useful ie bepanthen and lanisoh.