Thread: Lateral Ventricular trigones DIALATED- Ultrasound Help PLS!!

lindie Guest

Default Lateral Ventricular trigones DIALATED- Ultrasound Help PLS!!

Hi all,

I had my ultrasound on Tuesday and got the happy news that we were having a Boy......BUT that he has midly dialated Lateral Ventricular Trigones in his frontal lobe??? It says that it shouldnt be a problem but I have since read up and know that this caused serious brain problems!!!
    My OBGYN is sending me to Fetal Medicine at the Mater Mothers for another scan on monday but I was wondering if anyone can help me with information??? I am 20 weeks so im halfway there??

In short it means he has more fluid on his little brain than he should. Im not too sure what course of action to take or what quite to do, But our OBGYN says its quite common in boys etc... should write itself but im not sure and am so very upset at the thought of having a severely disabled child. So if anyone else knows anything about this please drop me a line.

Thank you

Lindie

Kirsty77 Guest

Hi Lindie

I'm not to sure about this but I beleive it does correct itself in most situations. A friend of mines little girl had excess fluid around her brain and had to have a shunt put in to drain away the fluid.Her little girl was very bright and didn't have any problems apart from having the shunt in place and not being able to jump around and be rough with her brothers.

Hi Lindie
    Sorry but i don't know much about this problem.
    I have been doing a little bit of research but so far I can not find much info.
    I will keep on looking and see what I can come up with.

But it is not unusual for babies not to be exactly "normal" before birth and then have no problems, so try not to worry too much.
    Fingers crossed.

Alan (Midwife)

Lindie, all I will say is that they tell us way too much these days and mostly they are things that will resolve themselves and they're only mentioning it because of people suing.
    I was told at my 20 week this time around, that my baby had choroid plexus cysts on her brain. It was such an awful time because I made the mistake of searching the internet to learn about it. BIG MISTAKE... I then had to wait 5 weeks before they could do another u/s to see if they'd gone.
    What I read said it could be part of downs syndrome or trisomy 18. What I have since found out is that it is quite common (in 2% of babies, this is common apparently) and that they pretty much always resolve themselves. AND in baby's with trisomy etc they don't all have the cystts anyway.
    So basically it was a horrible and scary time, and I can understand that you're probably feeling that now. The best advice I can give is not to look on the net, but to ring your Dr or midwives and say you're worried. I was so calmed down by them. There is also a line at some hospitals that deal with problems in unborn babies, as sort of a counselling line. I was recommended to ring, mainly so they could tell me it was nothing to worryabout.
    Best of luck and I hope you can relax xoxoxo

lindie Guest

Thank you so much Webbmeg,

Its so difficult to try and not think about this problem but I have been to my Local GP today as Im really upset and didnt know how I was going to get through my weekend and Hes assured me that If I had gone to our Local Public Hospital that they wouldnt have even told me as Babys measurements only fall into the dialated catagory by 1mm and that they are only telling me now because we are private and they have a duty of care to protect themselves from Lawsuits....Amazing I think, then I read your post and feel a lot better thank you as that helps to make me feel a little more like coping over the weekend.

I am so glad it has turned out okay for you and you baby, thank you for your response. Will keep you posted on monday

Lindie

lindie Guest

hi again,

Have researched this further on the net and it tells me to an MRI?? wondering if anyone can help with this one? Havent heard of one being done during pregnancy?

Also we are meant to have an amniocentesis probably on monday but am wondering what more this can tell me that my NT test cant??

Thanks again
    Lindie

Hi lindie,

Just read this post.

Thanks for your support in my "something wrong" thread. It really means a lot to me, knowing that im not alone- having said that, i wish nobody ever had to feel the way we do...... but at least we still have our babies- it could be much worse.

So how are things going for you? Do you have any more info on your little one? How do you cope from day to day- im finding it seriously hard.

No more news on our little one- people keep telling me the chances are low but it will never take away the pain and suffering we went thru when we were told and rushed into making a decision to have more tests or not (well i felt like they were trying to rush us)

I was in the maternity ward yesterday- was told just to go there when i tried to make another midwife app. I spoke to the Ob and she was really encouraging, saying that its a small chance. Oh- i was there to get a referal as it turns out i have pelvic instability!! OUCH!

Anyway, i hope you are doing well and are enjoying your pregnancy.

take care
    xxxxxxxxxxxx

lindie Guest

Hi again Emz,

Im doing okay but also like you in the sense that everyone says it will be okay but you just never know?? Im more of the understanding now that they cant help me really and only want more tests A) to cover themselves-we are going private. B) because ventriculomegaly is rare and this gives them the option to do further testing. and C) And to prepare themselves and not so much us?

Its also cost us a small fortune and we are really trying to watch our budget coming onto christmas, Its not that we arent worried/dont care its just if we keep having fornightly ultrasounds, MRIs and Torch screens we will be both broke and also worried from week to week. Its not a way to live when you are pregnant and its also a chain effect from me to Hubby who worries enough for the both of us really.

But like you its nice to find someone who isnt having a trouble free pregnancy and is also worried too. Im still really glad to be having my son I just am not taking it for granted like I guess you can sometimes without the reality check?

A very religious friend of mine was of a little help at the moment her words were "god wouldnt give you something you couldnt handle" at first I thought "you want a bet?" but after a few good kicks from my little fella I really did the questioning and thought well in other countries they dont have all this technology and they have perfect healthy babies all the time?

So on that note hopefully you are doing okay too and we both know where to find each other for a chat!!!!!

You have been of a lot of help to me Emma.

chat to you soon

Lindie

me again,

my email address is [email protected] if you ever need/want to chat.

take care ok

chin up - this from the girl who just a few hours ago was in the bath having a sook! pg hormones dont help this situation!!

xxx emma

Hey there Lindie,

I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry you are having to go through all of this worry atm...

Did you end up having the amniocentesis done like you said in one of your earlier posts, or have you found out that it is not really going to be helpful anyway?

Just want to let you know that I'm thinking of you, and I admire the strength you have shown in dealing with all of this. I'm sure that no matter what happens (although chances are that he will be just fine!) you will be the best possible mother your little boy could ever have...