Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lying on your Back

Default Lying on your Back

Hi everyone.

I hear that you are not supposed to lie on your back when you are pregnant. Can someone please tell me after how many weeks I really need to avoid this?
    I sleep on my back and even though I consciously fall asleep on my side and try to stay that way, I always find myself waking up on my back as it is my favoured position to sleep in. I am starting to worry that I could be harming my baby and was hoping someone could help with some tips on how to stay on my side. Will it become uncomfortable to sleep on my back (like it does to sleep on your stomach), as my prgenancy progresses?

From what I've read, it can vary depending on how big you are and where the baby is lying. I think the recommendation is from 2nd trimester but others may know better. If YOU start to feel dizzy or sick, that is a sure sign you should be on your side. Left side is supposed to be better than right side - to do with placenta I think (but my placenta is on my left side so I'm not 100%). Being on your back will get uncomfortable at some stage due to the weight pressing down but then again, lying on your sides will get uncomfortable due to hips and belly too. An uninterrupted night's sleep will become a thing of the past. Just as well we get a gorgeous bub out of all this!

Sorry to jump your thread!!

You should sleep on your left side as there is a very important artery (or something just as important.lol) that feeds the baby with oxygen ect

Just like if you need to be put in the recovery position after an accident all pg women should be on their left side

When I lay on my back too long, my arms and hands go numb, so I suppose that's proof enough that bub must be squishing something?! I have also heard that the left side is the best side - I'm a tummy sleeper, so it took a while to get used to it!

Hi Bellabub

When you should stop sleeping on your back depends on how big you are. The problem is that the weight of the baby can reduce or even cut off its own oxygen supply by squashing some of the major blood vesicles in mumís back. It is better to lie on your left side but if this is a problem then the right side is fine.
    Also you do not have to be right over on your side, as long as you are not flat on your back you should be fine. One trick you could try to keep you from rolling onto your back when sleeping is to put a pillow under one cheek of your bum, this should help to keep you on your side.

I never slept on my back until recently (about 3 weeks ago). I start sleeping on my side and when i wake up in the middle of the night... to wee, I'm on my back, then in the morning, I'm on my back. I never found it comfy up until now. Think I will try the pillow trick

Bellabub, I often wake on my back - don't stress. I'm getting bigger - 32 weeks now and I'm still comfy enough on my back (well, as comfy as you can be in any position with a big, heavy tummy!). I use a pillow like Alan recommended, but it doesn't always stop me from being on my back. Like Blackbird said, sleeping is getting harder now, so probably the last thing you want to do is worry about it & lose even more sleep over it. I've been told that if you feel ok - not light-headed or anything, your baby should be just fine.
    Take care, and keep enjoying your pregnancy!

Thanks everyone. I woke again on my back 3 times last night and this morning! I will be trying the pillow trick from tonight...

Last night my back was driving me nuts and it was only on lying my back that I could find relief. It wasn't pain but like a straining feeling that I got and it would really stand out whenever I lay still. So I set up a slope of pillows and slept soundly through the whole night. I didn't even wake up to turn as usually do. I think I may have found the solution for now

I'm still OK on my back (and front) but then I know I roll over if there's a problem. My yoga book says from 30w you shouldn't be on your back, but I'm sure you know your own body best and well done on finding a pillow-based solution!

I was told a couple weeks ago that its not a good idea to sleep on your back after about 15 weeks, because of the same reason Alan stated.
    I am not comfortable on my back anymore anyway, and only really find it comfortable when on my side. Also, my baby seems to go crazy and kicks ALOT when I lie on my back. I dont know if its just that I can feel his/her movements more on my back, or that baby doesnt like it. If I do lie on my back, I need to put a small pillow under my back for support otherwise its way too uncomfortable.

I sleep on my right side most of the time as I find it most comfortable, is this an issue? I have little veins that I can see on my right hip is this an indication that I should try and swap sides?

Your right side is fine.

All I know is that I can reduce the chances of developing heamoroids if I sleep on my left and that's all the convincing I need!!!

How did you go with the pillow Bellabub?

Hi Sarah.

I have been trying to wedge myself on my side between 2 pillows for a while now. It is fine to get me off to spleep but I still sometimes find myself on my back! I am doing much better though, I think it is just getting into the routine. Perhaps I will buy one of the body pillows from K-Mart.

bundybrat Guest

Hi bella bub, let us know how that body pillow goes, I've been thinking about getting one too.
    I tend to lie on my back when I first go to bed (to have a stretch out) and just like Karina, bubs goes nuts! This is the only time DH has been able to feel bubs kicking. Does anyone know if this is because the baby doesn't like it or just that we are able to feel it more?

Jodie

I have a body pillow which i find great when DH is not in bed, but at the moment i don't find it essential and it just seems to get in the way and make me too hot.

I feel bub frequently when i'm lying on my back to and i don't think it's because baby doesn't like it, i think it may just be easier to feel. With lying on back i think it is a lot of common sense - if you find it painful/uncomfortable, you become dizzy/lightheaded or your legs/toes become numb/tingly - then you probably need to get off your back. I don't get any of these symptoms and sometimes i need to lie on my back because it is the biggest relief for it. Common sense prevails. As also previously mentioned, left side is preferable, but really, just being on any side is fine. It is a vessel (called the inferior vena cava) that can get squished and that is what causes the lightheadedness etc. From what i understand, your body will tell you if there is a problem because you will feel off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast