Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The most annoying thing on earth!

People assume that the minute you get married that you must be going to get pregnant we have been through a fertility battle and have now thankfully got our baby girl 16mths but while we were trying for her the constant comments from people nearly broke my heart I ended up snapping at some that we would get pregnant when our ivf program worked and left then staring in shocked disbelief people can be so insensitive

Yep those know it all people are annoying...

Although I never really got the "I knew it" comments, I must of been really good at hiding it for those first 3 mths , I hated it when people would say "I told you everything would be OK", Like they really knew they just hoped and it really drives me insane....well I guess I should never of worried at all then and the Drs were just telling me these things for the fun of it!!!!. Gosh I have issues .

ETA....people that straight away ask if the baby was planned...what does it matter????

Robbo ...Drs don't tell you things for the "fun of it"!
    When you are pg, and you've had problems, as a lot of us have, you have a right to be worries sick!
    We all have issues of some kind, this is a good place to get it off your chest.
    People are thoughtless, they only think about the fact that it makes THEM feel clever and smug, not how it might make you feel. Just remember, we all get it, and we all understand and are here for you when you need to have a vent.
    Lisa

Oooh, I had a few people "know" - but then, I did tell people I was feeling queasy some mornings before I found out. At least people told me my butt hadn't grown so I was having a boy, so glad they didn't think "big butt, girl" as this one woman told her daughter!

"You're still at the fat stage, aren't you?" at 25w pg wasn't too fun to hear either. Nor was my aunt asking if DS was planned, but worse was when I told my mother and my mother stuck up for her sister!

Then again, I was asked why I was leaving at 7m pg and also why I wanted to sell a 2-seater car at 8m pg. Some people are a bit blind.

And as for "when are you having babies?"... I did pretend that it was in the never-never IRL because of all the arguments it caused between DH and me. I was supposing that the question wasn't an invitation to a 3-hour rant!

Oh boy! I've been getting the "big" ,"small" thing too!.
    I had one customer on monday, who when I told her I'm 17 weeks pg, she said "oh gee, you're not showing yet are you!, Then the very next customer asked me how long I had to go, (with out me telling her I'm pg) and when I said May, she said " Oh my! your huge! I thought you must be nearly there!!"
    Honestly! I give up!

LOL- oh- I can so relate!
    DH and I were engaged in july 2004 after 5 months together- so his extended family assumed it was to start a family.
    Well, we got married in oct 2005 and imediatley the 'when are you going to get pregnant?' thing started. Too bad by oct 2006 I was getting asked the same thing at a family christening- and staring in the face of my first cycle of IVF after an IUI and 6 months of clomid!!!- some people!
    And now that I am pregnant- naturally- all i get is - see, all you had to do is relax! grrrrr!
    I'm very big to begin with, so wasnt expceting to show- but ppl who know me well can see that my body shape has changed.

And the only one who picked the sex of the baby before the 20 wk scan was my FIL- and he's never been wrong.

I've had the range from I knew weeks ago that you were to now at 22 weeks when I say I'm pregnant some people new to work are like - are you, really, my god your not even showing.
    I think the question that I've gotten over now is the have you come up with a name. I tell people that we have had so much trouble with agreeing on a name that we started an off the list list and it has over 500 names on it now. Funny how half of them then start suggesting names - I'm having great pleasure in saying - yep that one is off the list. Of course this question is usually proceeded by the do you know what you are having question - to which my doctor told me to tell them - "Yes, it's a baby and 50% chance that it is a girl/boy" LOL. I used that for the first, but being that I had an amnio this time I'm telling people that it is a girl. I actually thought it would be a boy and heaps of people told me early on that because this pregnancy was different to the last and the way I was carrying that they thought I was having a girl.
    Like someone said I think that they are just the things that people have been sterotyped into asking/saying when you are pg.
    Funniest thing was the other day when being asked about names that this woman turned around to me after I said we didn't have a name chosen and told me a mutual acquaintance who is 10 weeks ahead of me had a name and this is what it was. Shouldn't that have been the acquaintance's job to tell me - not that I wanted to know and does this mean that I should avoid that name now??

I told people who asked what Liebs was that he was a duck-billed platypus! Shut them up at least LOL. Some asked weekly, like I knew and could be tricked into telling LOL.

Names are so hard, don't worry if you pick the same one as someone else because, unless you make up the name yourself, there's always someone else with that name.

I just said..."Um..... a baby...?"

After I found out about my endo and supposedly not being able to conceive naturally, when ppl asked me when I was having kids I used to say "I can't have them"...that shut them up!

People have also been asking if I'm going to find out the gender and when I say no we are waiting until the big day, they all seem disappointed!

The biggest annoying thing atm for me is people thinking they have the right to just come up and touch my belly! This really $h!ts me. Next time someone does it I'm going to go in for the big rub on their belly and say how does that feel!!? LOL
    Last edited by Laranna; December 24th, 2007 at 09:50 AM. Reason: typo

I get that too. They just can't understand it when I say "It'll be here soon enough, we'll find out then!"
    I just get blank looks. or "Oh I couldn't wait that long!" Gee wizz, the time will fly by anyway!

LOL Heaps of people would ask if i "knew what it was" when I was pregnant. I would say 'its either a girl or a boy, but its definately a baby".

I used to also find it annoying how people would come up to me and say "i bet its a boy. your belly is pointy".

Now I just find it all very funny! I honestly dont remember making these kinds of annoying comments to friends, colleagues and family during their pregnancies. Some people will just say anything sometimes.

OOO,

When I was PG with DS, none of the usual people knew I was PG, But I have to admit there have been a few people that i have know they were pg before they announced it, but not until about the 10 week mark. I never tell them though I like to let them think they kept their secret I think mine have more been lucky guesses and that the people involved were kind of giving out little hints because they were so excited.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12