Thread: No weight gain

Default No weight gain

Hi All,

I am almost 21 weeks but yet my weight is still the same as before I was pregnant! I see my stomach getting bigger but everytime I weigh myself (which is every saturday morning), my weight is the same 58.9kg. =(

I am getting worried because, am I not suppose to have gained 3-6kg by now?

Does anyone else have the same issue?

Thanks for the help in advance.

I've got the opposite ... I'm losing weight at the rate of knots!!! I'm 22w, losing weight and I can now fit into my skinny clothes (y'know the ones hiding in the back of the wardrobe that you've been saying for YEARS you'll get back into??? ).

But at our 21w scan everything came back 110% fine, so I wouldn't worry sweetheart, everyone's pregnancy is different ... some of us gain alot, some gain a little, some stay the same, some lose a little, some lose alot!!!

Just accept it's the joys of motherhood worry ... I always thought it happened AFTER bubs was born ... looks like I was sadly mistaken ....

I am only 1 kg above my weight when I conceived. I'm 25 weeks and I have a rather large belly!

I believe that at 21 weeks your baby still doesn't weigh very much - under half a kilo. It hasn't started fattening up yet. Our 4D ultrasound pics at 21 weeks were a bit scary. Our baby had such a sharp little face, but they explained that they are almost literally skin and bones still at that point and it wouldn't look like that when it was born.

So I don't think you have anything to worry about. Maybe do some reading on nutrition during pregnancy, from what I understand it is more important to be getting enough nutrients rather than putting on a certain amount of weight.

I heard the fattening up process of bubba occurs after the 21wk mark...

Don't wish for too much weight gain just yet hun, it could be right around the corner and you'll wish it never happened LOL!

You are welcome to have some of mine. I have gained around 6kg already (and that is weighing myslef first thing in morning).

If your care provider is not concerned and you are having a balanced diet I wouldn't worry too much. I figure if your diet is healthy your body knows what it is doing, everyone is different and it all depends on how tall you are etc etc.

Good luck and I am sure the weight gain fairy will find you eventually, If you like I will send her your way

Hey phoenixml, I ws exactly the same and now have a very healthy and happy 8 month old. At the end of my pregnancy I was only 3 kg heavier than before I got pregnant and Claire 2.9kg when born. I didnt hve any extra weight at all till I was around 25 weeks pregnant, and even then it was only like 1 kg. I wouldnt worry too much if your ultrasound shows a healthy baby.

If your doc isnt concerned and your belly is measuring ok i think you should be fine.
    Just think, the less you put on the less you have to loose.

If the doc was worried you would know about it.

CatherineL Guest

I wouldn't worry too much about weight gain as long as you have a good diet. I weighed 53kgs pre-pregnancy and lost 9kgs from morning sickness... I really didn't show until 30 weeks and even then everyone commented how small I was and how small my baby was going to be. At my 40week appointment I weighed in just under 57kgs... EVERYONE was shocked with the size of my baby. My weight right now is 48kgs - less than pre-pregnancy. Just goes to show that you can't tell by the size of the bump how big or little a baby is.. or by how much or little weight you put on. Rochelle fit into hardly any of the clothes we had for her because we assumed she would be small.

I had the same thing - lost weight due to ms then hardly put any back on: weighed 70kg at conception, lost 5 and only put 4 back (3.8 of which was ds!!) so weighed less at birth than at conception.

My doc and midwives didn't ever weigh me as they said people (especially books) put way too much emphasis on what you should weigh. The best indicator is your fundal height and measurements at scans.

With me, i had gained 6kg up until 28 weeks! i was thinking..cool! i thought i would have gained a lot more!! at last appointment... 32 weeks i had lost 2kg!! My OB didn't seem to concerned and neither am I! Just think of it as less to loose after!! As long as you feel well, are eating and bubs is fine! enjoy! and think of it as a blessing!

good luck!

I wouldn't worry about it too much, there are a lot of women who don't put on much, if any during their pregnancy, I think it will just mean that your belly is "all baby". I have lost 1.5kg since getting pg but I know that I will start to put on weight soon though.

Thanks heaps guys! Meet my Ob yesterday she said people have different theories as long as i am eating okay which I am (eat like a pig!)

Agree with you guys, some books/articles do put emphasis on weight though my ob has never weighed me once.

Thanks heaps guys!!!!