Thread: Severe lower back ache at 21weeks

Default Severe lower back ache at 21weeks

Does anyone have any suggestions to help me relieve my back ache? I feel it in the muscles around the very base of my back and top of butt. It is really bad when lying down at night especially, but I can feel it most of the time when sitting or walking. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't stay like this for the next 20 weeks or I will scream!!! Would love to hear of any effective stretches, exercises, good sleeping positions etc that may help.

Thanks x
    Last edited by kylieb77; June 16th, 2008 at 09:17 AM. Reason: spelling

What position are you sleeping in? I was told by my OB that from 20 weeks the best position to sleep in is on the left side and I've done it ever since and haven't had any real issues with back pain - just minor pain here and there. I also use a body pillow to support myself in various positions depending on what part of the body is uncomfortable at the time. I find that works well. If it's really bad a visit to a chiropractor might be required.

Sounds like me.. i have a warm shower. and I get a pregnancy massage every week. I make sure I am standing up straight and good posture.. it has helped me!

oh the good old lower back pain. its horrible isnt it.. um when im sitting i like to sit a pillow in the curve of my back, seems to help. When laying on ur back in bed put a couple of pillows under ur knees or put one under ur back. If all else fails get ur DP to give that area a light massage while ur sitting on the edge of the bed....
    For exercises, try some swimming or yoga. For stretchs, stand up straight and twist the top half of our body a little around to ur back, using ur arms..this seems to help my back to stretch out a little.
    All else fails, try using a heat pack and put it in the pillow that u have behind ur back.

HTH xox

Sorry to hear you are having back pains!! It's awful isn't it..

The first thing to do if you haven't already is to make sure you're wearing flats. One of the first symptoms of pregnancy for me was severe back pain to the point where I would be walking along and then not be able to move at all! Wearing flats stopped this from happening.

In terms of stretches, and being mindful of your bump of course! I would recommend the "cat-like" stretches. So this would be on all fours, gently stretch your spine upwards. The other one that is good, is while you're still on all fours, lean back onto your haunches and try to elongate your spine.

If you are still having problems, I would definitely suggest speaking to your midwife and asking for a referral to a physio.

I absolutely swear by my chiro and I am 100% sure it was becuase of my regular chiro visits that I had a 1 hour 54 min labour. I also had very severe back pain to start and after I started seeing him, I never felt better. The bigger I got the better my back was. I have already started seeing him regularly this time, as I dont' want the pain at all. It is very debilitating, I can understand how you're feeling.

I too have really bad back ache and I hate it lol. I think it might be a mixture of bad posture and relaxin hormone as well as lax muscles from having the other babies lol. I will look at seeing my osteo very soon to try and loosen them up and also start some exercises to strengthen the core muscles. I can't stand the thought of going nearly the next 20 weeks with this pain either.

Good luck with yours

Kim