Thread: Sleep Problems - any suggestions???

Default Sleep Problems - any suggestions???

I am having such difficulty sleeping at night at the moment. It has been this way since about 11-12wks. I toss and turn all night and can't seem to stay asleep for longer than about 30-50mins. It has gradually been getting worse and with working full-time I am slowing driving myself insane.

Not only am I now really short with DH, everything he does I second guess him and this is just not me. I had to leave the house early today - because I was so worried that I would go off and say something I would regret later. I am normally a really easy going person. It also has not helped that almost all of my friends are going through major "life dramas" at present including seperation and relationship problems, fertility problems, medical concerns (all seperate friends - not the one!) and I have always been the one to be there and listen and support - but I am beginning to resent this and worry what my negative feelings are doing to my baby.

I know that my hormones are all out of control at the moment and this is not helping, but I think that if I could just get some decent sleep I would be able to manage all the other stuff including work much better. Does anyone have suggestions or similar problems with sleep that may help?

PS Sorry for the whinge - I can only imagine how difficult it would be if I had other children at home - I now have true sympathy for pregnant mothers out there!!

I really feel for you. Sleep deprivation is such a killer! It's really hard to cope with!

Have you tried using pillows around yourself to get more comfortable? Is it that you are uncomfortable or just unable to sleep? A relaxing bath before bed could help, as could a walk in the afternoon.

One thing we do if I am having trouble sleeping, is to kick DH out of bed LOL. He goes & sleeps in the spare roon & it is amazing how much better I can then sleep!

Good luck!

Bess Guest

I find that by doing a gym session after work to get rid of some of the aggression from the day (not quite as satisfying as before I was pregnant because I can't push as hard), but a bit of exercise, even swimming, helps me have a good nights sleep. I find therapy on a treadmill with only my own thoughts (oh and some good music).

I know what it's like when everyone around you seems to be falling apart and it feels like you are the one holding everything together. But I really suggest you take some time out for yourself and even get a massage or facial to relax. Could be that you are so uptight and over tired, you are making it worse for yourself.

I make sure I reserve a bit of time for me every week, if only an hour, to chill out, regroup and put my own head straight. It really does help. I tried meditation but fell asleep (suppose that was a success afterall!) If you have an MP3 player, you can download meditation podcasts.

Thanks for the advice - I will definately be booking in for a massage and the podcasts of meditation are a great idea.

I have tried the pillows and it has worked for a little while but even they are beginning to annoy me through the night now. I do usually do some form of exercise each day - even if it is just a walk. But I think you may have really hit it on the head Bess when you said that I am getting myself all uptight and overtired which seems to be creating more anxiety and therefore making it harder to sleep. So I will try the meditation before bed and see how I go - thanks.....here's hoping