Thread: Sleeping Positions

Default Sleeping Positions

Hi,

I just wanted to know what sleeping positions you have felt more comfortable.

One of my friends told me that you can't sleep on your right side as there is a main artery on that side and if the baby presses on it, it could be harmful to you. Is this correct?

Another friend has told me that she bought a really long pillow from Target and wraps her legs around that.

I am only 14 weeks...but constantly thinking about when I will be more uncomfortable at night.

What are some of the positions you have experienced and has worked?

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Yep I heard too that you shouldn't sleep on your right side either because of that reason, but also your back isn't good either?? I'm sure that's right. I bought one of those long pillows, it's called a body pillow, I think, and it was sooooooo good and sooooo comfortable. I used to pop it between my legs, under my belly and cuddle into it too. I'm sure DH didn't like it though because it would be inbetween me and him so no cuddling there. You can also just get a special pillow that just goes under your belly and use a normal pillow between your legs.

I sleep on my right & left side....mainly left tho.
    I bought this big long body pillow thing called a snoogle from toys r us. It is specially designed for pg & BF women. U can coil it up so u can sit propped up in bed or uncoil it. It curls at the top so it supports ur neck & also curls at the end which u place between ur legs. Its kinda like spooning something really really comfy & then when bubs is born u can use it to help with BFing.
    I defently recomend getting something like this or a body pillow. U will use it heaps as ur pg progresses. I haven't slept so well for ages.....DF even steals it off me sometimes & uses it!

You only squash the artery when you lie on your back for an extended period of time. Lying on your right side, though not quite as good as on your left, is fine. I have checked with many midwives and my Ob.
    I think your body will know what is best for the baby so try not to stress too much!

I lie on both my right and left sides, and sometimes even on my back, although I find that makes me wheeze a bit.

I've found a pillow tucked between my legs really helps - I didn't think it would, because my legs weren't uncomfy - so I've been surprised at what a different it makes.
    I also use a second pillow to kind of hug - it gives me something to rest my upper-most arm on (instead of my belly).

Having said that, I'm still so sad that I can't sleep on my tummy anymore - that has always been the comfiest for me, but after about 19wks it just started to hurt.

Sleeping on your right side is fine. It is true that there is a vessel that runs more down the right side and this is why they recommend you don't sleep on your back as if it is compressed it can lower your blood pressure to a severely low level. Having said that, not all women suffer from this problem. I sleep on my left and right side mainly but also do lie on my back as it feels good for my lower back. If you are having problems with compression on this vessel you will feel unwell, you will get dizzy and your legs might tingle or go numb as the blood supply is decreased. I wouldn't worry too much, our bodies are good at fixing up problems at often you will automatically change positions because you feel ordinary. I have a body pillow which is really comfortable, definitely reckon you get one.

I feel more comfortable lying on my side. I get the tingly and dizzy feeling Rachel mentioned when I lie on my back. Its not so bad though if I prop myself up on a few pillows so I am sort of reclined though.

At night, I tend to sleep on my side with a thin pillow between my legs and another one under my belly. I find this the most comfortable way to sleep.

I've been meaning to get one of those body pillow things, but I looked in Target but couldnt find one there. Does anyone know where else I may be able to get one? How big are they? Are they flat or fluffy?

Tigergirl1980 Guest

The pillow is really long and fat, like a big sausage. I got mine from Spotlight and I think you can get them in bedding stores too.

Adairs currently have the body pillows on special for $25. They're not as stiff / fat as the ones from KMart.

I just don't sleep!!! lol

DH bought me a body pillow when I was pregnant with Noah.. I think this is the best pillow for me... but then again, I use a big european pillow, and a normal pillow to prop me up, as well as the body pillow that goes between my legs and under my bump... they never stay in the same position though... and I tend to be more comfortable on my right side with this pregnancy... I am a side sleeper usually, and I usually sleep on my left side... but, have been much more comfortable on my right.

I wanted to bump this thread instead of starting a whole nother topic on the subject!

When I sleep on my side (left or right), my heart actually starts to race and my heartburn is ten times worse. I am my most comfy when I sleep on my back...is this dangerous/damaging? Should I stop sleeping on my back altogether?

ash yeah it can be bad. try popping your head up considerably higher than your body and pop your shoulders up too.

If you lay flat on your back, you are putting a lot of stress on you heart

hth