Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soft Serve Ice Cream

Wilson Guest

Default Soft Serve Ice Cream

I forgot all about not eating soft serve ice cream and ate a mcflurry tonight and then remembered and now feel bad ](*,)
    i'm sure its typical overreacting pregnant me and one time isn't that bad but just wanted to see if others have done the same thing to make me feel better lol

I'm pretty sure I was guilty of having soft serve at least once or twice during my pg as well... 8-[

Excuse my ignorance but what is wrong with soft serve? I don't normally eat it but had one today???

I think its not recommended because the machines that are used to make the soft-serve are very hard to clean properly and there can be bacteria and stuff that grows in there that can possibly cause Listeria. (or I *think* thats the reason anyway...)

Custardtart Guest

Yes that's it, Amber, it's because of the risk of the baby contracting listeriosis from the bacterial count in the soft-serve. Because the product is frozen, the machines aren't necessarily sterilised regularly. The bacterial count in the product is perfectly healthy for people with a developed immune system, but not recommended for unborn babies.

Kerrie

Wilson Guest

Thanks for your replies

I did the EXACT same thing about 12 weeks ago, except I had a large (choc at top and bottom) sundae. YUM. But on my last mouthful,.... I remembered!! Don't worry, I think almost everyone does something similar at some stage. you'd have to be very unlucky for something to happen. I heard someone say the other day that she (midwife) had never seen listeria in her 20 year work history. Good odds I think!! xoxo

yep, i have done it a few times, it took a while to get used to thinking about these things before eating iykwim?

dont worry too much,

Linda

I'm a sucker for Chocollo thick shakes from Wendys and have had a few throughout my preg... as Meg said, you'd be pretty unlucky. Also, health regulations are getting stricter every year so most places do keep their machines up to standard these days. \/

im guilty as sin and I too felt bad I knew I wasn't suppose to have it but I craved a mcflurry so badly I have only had one and I used to have 1 a week McDonalds I know for a fact clean there machines reguarly, but I though that it was something to to with unpasturised milk that is used which can caus listeria not that the machines could cause it.

Miss Vicki Guest

I was told that Mackers icecream is OK an safe , I guess that dont mean much thou

vicki*

I'm pretty sure its not to do with unpasteurised milk being used, as I think it is unsafe for the public in general to be consuming unpasteurised products, not just pg women. I think there can be lots of bad stuff in unpasteurised milk, such as salmonella, E.coli and other baddies. So yeah, I hope they are not using unpasteurised milk in soft serve!

Miss Vicki Guest

I craved soft serve and My solotion was Got a 30$ blender an some icecream an Make it my self

I wouldn't do it, but thats just me I guess. If you do it by accident well of course you can't take it back so there's no point stressing. But if I were consciously making a choice I would choose not to. As far as I know it has to do with the temperature of the machine, how well its cleaned etc. And you can't guarantee that unless you work there, or cleaned it yourself. As far as I know they use regular milk :-k Also keep in mind listeria doesn't affect everyone all the time, just the elderly, pregnant women, and those with low immune systems like cancer and AIDS patients. I always check before ordering a thick/milkshake whether or not they use soft serve icecream or tub icecream. Yeah you might be pretty unlucky but I wouldn't take the risk.

*hugs*
    Cailin

I am with you Cailin, I hven't had any soft serve and personally wouldn't either. Admitingly I have being craving it at times but would not risk it, just in case, even if the chances are slim, I am way to scared to take that chance. I too always check if the milikshake I am having has scooped ice cream or soft serve.

I guess I keep hearing in my head what my nanna always says; "its better to be safe than sorry!!" 8-[

Vicki, I like your idea of a blender and make it yourself.

Yeah I used to make myself home-made banana and mango smoothies by the truckload when I was pg... although cause I had all the stuff at home it was way too tempting, and I probably made myself far too many (like 2 per day! 8-[ )

Ive had Soft serve from maccas ONCE during my first pregnancy, and needless to say i had food poisioning about 6 hrs later. I thought i was in premature labour - the gut pain was sooooo bad. Looking back now i can honestly say that feeling i had whilst sitting on the bathroom floor was WoRSE than labour.

Never eaten a soft serve again.......

Oh mbear you poor thing ... that must have been terrible for you.

I have been guilty of a few Macca's thickshakes lately #-o ... is that the same naughtiness as having soft serve??

And I wonder ... is the risk higher at different stages of the pregnancy?

Pearl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast