Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stretch Marks

I've been rubbing palmer's or body shop body butter (mmm strawberry) on my tummy and hips the whole time, and so far I'm clear. I figure they probably help but at the end of the day, if I'm going to get marks, I'll get marks.

It's actually genetic. The skins elastin is what causes them. Some people have less elastin and therefore they get stretch marks easier. Using products can help, but if you have skin that is prone to them, then you will get them no matter how often u bathe in cream! Trust me. WIth my first, I lathered myself morning and night and I had purple marks everywhere. I called myself the purple zebra. With jess, not many and this time. None. But only because my skin had stretched this much before so....

I read recently somewhere (can't remember where sorry) that the best way to know if/how bad you'll get stretch marks is to ask you mum. My understanding is that the chances are pretty high that you'll get them too - no matter what lotions and potions you use. If true, good news for some, not so good for others... Every little bit of moisture must help though...

I too believe that whether you get stretch marks or not is genetic. My Mum got none so I REALLY hope I follow after her. My sister was pretty unlucky though and got HEAPS. I think its just the luck of the draw!

I got some stretch marks on my thighs and bbs when I was like 13 just from hitting puberty (they are very faint now - but was highly embarrassed at that young age, refused to wear bathers) so I'm not holding out much hope that my belly will be any different, also my mum got them on her belly with us kids. and yet I am still getting DH to rub creams on my belly and bb's every night, i figure if i manage to put on weight slowly and my skin is as moisturised and supple as possible then I have a far better chance of getting milder marks, than by doing nothing at all. Also it is a good way for DH to feel a part of the process, and he often talks to the baby and kisses my belly while he is doing it which I love, as he makes me laugh.

I've always loved my tummy as opposed to other parts of my body so it is a bit of a worry to me, but I guess I won't care when I have my bubs in my arms.

Also I was thinking there is some lovely lingerie which cover your tummy a bit, and that could make you feel a bit sexier, and more confident too.

Hi.

I got little stretch marks when I was growing up. So I knew I'd get them with DS. It's like from the very start I had stretchmarks, and by the end I had loads. I'm hoping I don't get anymore this time around, but I guess one of 2 more won't hurt. Lol.

I don't think my mum got many stretchmarks in her pregnancies, not even with twins.
    Lucky, aye.

RochelleW Guest

[QUOTE=maybub;1121698]I read recently somewhere (can't remember where sorry) that the best way to know if/how bad you'll get stretch marks is to ask you mum. My understanding is that the chances are pretty high that you'll get them too - no matter what lotions and potions you use.QUOTE]

It's all to do with your skin type, Katkins is right. Pregnancy hormones actually break down the elastin in your skin which causes the fibres to break rather than stretch. People with skin that tans easily as a general rule don't get them (or at least, not as bad) but people with "english rose" skin are outta luck

My mother and sister both have darker skin tone than me and my mum's never had one in her life. I, on the other hand, got that horrible pale skin that shows every flaw, freckle and scar from my father's (english) side of the family.

I've just discovered them on the underneath of my boobs. Not the nice little red ones, but big thick purple ones, and I swear they appeared overnight!!! I was devastated, lol fell down in a big emotional heap and bawled to DP that I'm never gonna be able to wear a bikini again.

He was great, hugged and kissed me and reminded me that when he looks at me he sees our child safe in my tummy and not some silly colours on my skin. Kinda put it in perspective for me...

At the end of the day they fade to nothing, try to remember that!

I thought I'd got through my 2nd preg with none until week 35 and I saw one come up before my eyes!

Now my littlest (of three) is nearly 2 and they are just pale lines...

I got a few red ones when I was pregnant with my DS, despite using the Palmers, but after a while they ended up fading.
    This time I have been rubbing my belly with plain old sorbolene cream the the marks have stayed pale and are not red yet- maybe it's because I have been "pre-stretched" by DS?
    I have heard of a cream called Mederma that is supposed to fade stretch marks and scars, but I am not sure that it is safe to use during pregnancy, so please don't use it without checking with your doctor first.

miss_treewill Guest

I was young (23) with my first DD and got purple stretch marks as thick as my fingers all over my belly. I applied all sorts of expensive creams thru preg, only to read after her birth that stretchies occur at such a deep layer of your skin that NO topical application will effect your chances of getting them. My Mum has very similar stretchies! After giving birth I stuggled alot with the feeling of having lost my youth and beauty. I really think that I obsessed over weight gain during my first preg. I am now 27 and am 3 months preg with second baby. I feel much happier regarding food and body image pre and postnatally. Can only say that accepting my post baby body has been a very hard, yet rewarding journey.

I use a cream called Happy Event. Never got a stretch mark with DS and havent got one so far. You can get it at chemists. It comes in a white box with purple writing. 3 friends of mine have also used it and never got one line.

Heya,

I have been using the normal Palmers coco butter, Natio's wellness cream as well as St Ives Vit E cream and none seem to be working for me on the red stretchies I have currently, BUT so far I have no marks on my belly or boobs so perhaps is helping with the skins elasticity?

Nicambhar has also suggested the Bio Oil to you which I am going to go and get today to see if that helps with my red marks .... oh BTW make sure you rub stuff into your hips, lower back and butt as well I knew i had marks on my hips but had an aweful surprise when I saw some on my lower back and butt as well

Miss T is right im afraid - keeping well hydrated helps.

Hi, so far I haven't got any, although I have some old ones on my hips from when I was 12 and had a growth spurt. I've been using the Palmers coco stretch mark lotion. Its light and rubs in easy. Its about $10.50 from Big W and about $14 from the supermarket or chemist. I've been putting it everywhere since day dot. But I read somewhere that no matter what you do, its in your genes! However, the stretching occurs in the deeper layer of tissue and no matter how much cream you put on the top it won't moisturise underneath. This article I was reading suggested drinking lots of water to keep you hydrated from the inside out - so give that a go too! I'm trying, but can't drink more than 2 litres a day!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12